Brewer Fanatic

PHI signs Geoff Jenkins (2yr/13M) -- Latest Includes Yost Audio

I actually kind of agree with the sentiment of that poster. Jenkins is an ok player but he's not fun to watch or root for. I'm glad that more likable guys than Jenkins or Mench will get a shot. Likability is not typically a big concern of mine but when a guy is less than mediocre (as Estrada also was), why bother?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not fun to watch or root for? dude made awesome plays in the outfield, could throw a perfect ball to third on a rope from the warning track and wanted to be a Brewer so much that he signed a four-year deal knowing the team would pretty much blow in the forthcoming years.

I don't think less than medoicre is fair, either. his career numbers say he was a decent outfielder. i won't boo him because he wasn't an all-star every year.

i think there's a lot of sentiment that we should dislike Jenkins because he was one of our highest-paid players but wasn't one of our best hitters. But the contract he got from Philly suggests he was playing right up to where he should have been for the money.

Yes, his comments (along with Mench's) about not wanting to be in a platoon were probably out of line. I'm not a big Geoff Jenkins guy, either, but it's hard to really hate a player who stuck around through 10 years of pretty mediocre Milwaukee teams.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm glad for Jenkins. I think Green and Gonzo will find a new home soon as well. It looks like a nice fit. With the risk of sounding like a broken cd, I've said this before, most team's fans don't care how much their team pays a player. I' m not surprised that the phillies fans are not complaining much about the amount of his contract.

I liked watching Jenks play, but it was frustrating last season, and even the one before to watch him in the box. Especially on TV where you saw where the ball was placed, brutal. I don't plan on booing him, the only guy I ever boo who was a former Brewer is Gary Sheffield.

I don't think many casual fans understand what happens in the post season, and why guys leave, or care for that matter. That might all start changing now that the Brewers are playing well; however, fans booed Brady Clark for chrissake. Jenks option was too much for us to sign him so we let him go, good move on our part, but I know I'll hear someone say "He wanted way too much money, BOOOOO!!!!" or "He was a clubhouse cancer, BOOOOOOOO!!!" and whatever else they wanna say. I'm sure if Robin Yount came outta retirement and played for another club he would also get booed for whatever reason. I don't understand why our fans try to be similar to Philadelphia fans. Everytime El Caballo came to the plate last year and was booed, I generally clapped and yelled out "all of you are stupid, he carried our team for a year and a half!!!! we low balled him!!! we got a lights out closer in return cuz Turnbow couldn't do the job!!!! EL CABALLO!!!!" sometimes a guy ahead of me would debate me, other times they'd change their tune, most times they just kept booing. I've learned to just accept that.

Maybe someday the Crew will have the extreme religious outlook as the Packers and respect our GM's moves, but until then, I guess the only thing Brewerfan Nation can do is support old players and try to shed some of that light onto the naysayers.

It is going to be extremely weird seeing Jenkins in a Phillies jersey after seeing him play in Brewers blue for his entire career. He will also be without his trademark No. 5 jersey with the Phils since Pat Burrell has the jersey. He will be wearing No. 10, according to the Phillies website.

MLB.com is QUICK with the photoshop, check his profile out.

It is also worth mentioning that Jenkins and Chad Durbin were introduced to the Philly media today, go to the Phillies website and view the press conference. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet... but he looks really odd in Phillies garb.

The Philadelphia Enquirer has a fan forum, a format very much like the MLB.com style. Here are the thoughts on Jenks.

Thanks for the links, jaybird. That photo on his profile just makes me feel like something is out of whack in the universe. So strange.

I can't wait to get my Geoff Jenkins Phillies shirsey.

"Shirsey" gets my vote for new word of 2007. Guess it's too late, though, to beat out "wOOt," huh. Well done, jlau.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Glad to see him go he could have been gone two years earlier and stole some other teams money during that time.

His ability to hit only during at the end of the season was costly to the team through out the years. Jenks is on the downside of his career, but got a great fit with the Phils. Hope he earns his money with them.

That Kapler picture on the Brewers website is obnoxious.

Geoff, on the other hand, seems to wear the red pretty well. Sure it looks odd, but what the heck. I just hope the Philly fans don't give him too hard of a time.

He's probably a nice guy and all, but I'm very excited for the post-Jenkins era to begin in Milwaukee. "Good riddance" sounds a little mean, but, yay, no more watching G-whiff and being thoroughly annoyed.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

This is especially odd that he would choose Philly over SD, considering that he is from Southern CA and would be closer to his roots/home. My guess is that SD was offering only a one-year deal and PHI was the only team offering a two-year deal.

Archived