Brewer Fanatic

PHI signs Geoff Jenkins (2yr/13M) -- Latest Includes Yost Audio

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I bet he gets booed.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's an especially good amount of money for him when you consider that they are going to platoon him, it looks like. I'm surprised he went to the Phillies when I had read that the Padres were going to offer him a more full-time role in the OF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hope I'm wrong too, and in reality, I bet the cheers outweigh the boos (and I guarantee there will be boos).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's a bit surprising he went for a team that may have been offering less PT but it's a good move for him IMO. In Phillie he gets to play on a division winner in a hitter friendly stadium and will not be asked to hit lefties. I can see him haivng a better year in Phillie than San Diego.

Good luck to him he's a Brewer no matter what uni he puts on.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This seems like a good fit -- and probably not an outrageous spend for the Phillies. Jenks I am sure won't complain about playing in that sandbox, and while the Phillie fans are rough, I would hate to see Jenks getting picked up by TB or KC. He probably is not any further away from the playoffs than Milwaukee is.

Jenks will get booed which will suck -- and some idiot I am sure will hold up some sort of sign with dollar bills on them.

Am I the only one that, although I know it is the "right" move, is still kinda upset they didn't keep him for his option year so he can play in a legit pennant race with the team he came up with?

And, yes, I'll stand and applaud from my living room and I'll boo the boo-birds.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I am actually surprised at how well-received this deal is with the members of a Phillie website. Aside from the few you get in every crowd, the reaction is positive and sounds like he'll be platooning with Jayson Werth in RF.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Am I the only one that, although I know it is the "right" move, is still kinda upset they didn't keep him for his option year so he can play in a legit pennant race with the team he came up with?

And, yes, I'll stand and applaud from my living room and I'll boo the boo-birds.

I can appreciate the sentiment but I'd have been more upset if they would have kept him. The money they saved went to upgrading other areas of need. Without those upgrades the chances of being in a legit pennant race would have been that much slimmer. It's never a good idea to let sentiment get in the way of good baseball decisions. Though as fans we can want our cake and eat it to.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

A bit high for half of a platoon, even if he is the big half. Jenkins can be useful but his extreme slumps don't figure to go over well in Philly.

All in all, I think I'm glad he's gone. He's such a frustrating guy to watch and his production the last couple years has not been worth the aggravation. He's been well below average for a corner OF, especially considering his exposure to lefties was limited.

The lefthanded portion of a platoon gets 80% of the starts. Jenkins is more highly thought of around baseball than many Brewer fans realize.

I think Melvin may have misread how easily replacing Jenkins would be. I think he expected to get a deal done fairly easily and he's been stymied so far. Until we know how he will be replaced, I'm not sure paying him one more year even at the inflated option year amount might not prove to have been the wiser course.

The lefthanded portion of a platoon gets 80% of the starts. Jenkins is more highly thought of around baseball than many Brewer fans realize.
How about in Georgia?

Good luck to Geoff. He actually got a little less than I thought he would, but at $9 mil, there wasn't a great reason to keep him around in Milwaukee. Especially when you have to trust Yost to keep him out of the lineup when he should. I also hope he doesn't get booed when he comes back, but fan's prerogative is fan's prerogative.

As far as Melvin being stymied, it's December. The season doesn't start to April. That's like a quarter+ of a year from now.

the reaction is positive and sounds like he'll be platooning with Jayson Werth in RF.

And that's a pretty good platoon, especially when you factor in defense. Congrats, Geoff - we'll miss ya, but I'm glad to see you landed on a strong team. You'll look odd to me in those unis at first, but I hope you have a productive tenure in Philly. Enjoy hitting at Citizens Bank Park!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

http://geoffjenkins.mlblogs.com/geoffjenkins/

I just left a comment wishing him the best, and thanking him for sticking with the club through the down years. I'd go so far as to suggest that a Brewerfan.net send-off might be in order....but maybe just from the 50% who actually liked Jenkins. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I, too, think his facial chaw style will fit in with Philly.

When we win the World Series next year, I think it would be OK to give Geoffrey a ring. But someone would have to pitch it to him... like a 57 foot slider diving into the rightie's batter box. If he lays off, he gets it.

Edge gets a ring:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/1216bickley1216.html

http://geoffjenkins.mlblogs.com/geoffjenkins/

I just left a comment wishing him the best, and thanking him for sticking with the club through the down years. I'd go so far as to suggest that a Brewerfan.net send-off might be in order....but maybe just from the 50% who actually liked Jenkins. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wow I just read the comment three above yours.

goodbye jenkins. i will really miss seeing our overpaid donkey swing wildly at pitches in the dirt. hopefully you can find a team that wants a left handed hitter who can't hit righties or lefties. then instead of "jenkins jungle" your next team can put a sign behind you on the backstop and call those seats "jenkins swinging circus". i cannot wait until you come back to miller park so turnblow has someone to strike out. good riddance.

Posted by: mdunham2@wi.rr.com

What a moron.

Archived