Brewer Fanatic

Why no buzz on Glavine?

Hopefully this hasn't been posted anywhere else, but why do you guys think that there is absolutely no buzz around town about Glavine going for 300 tomorrow night? I haven't heard a peep about it, and went online and bought pretty good tickets today. I remember when Ryan was going for 300 it was the talk of the town.

It's a good question...you would think there would be a bigger deal made of it, since Glavine may be the last guy to hit 300 wins for a long time. Randy Johnson's 16 away, but he's been shut down for the rest of the year and is having another back surgery.

I think Glavine's pursuit for 300 has also been overlooked by the national media -- with all the attention on Bonds chasing 755 and Alex Rodriguez chasing 500, Glavine's milestone has kind of been left in the dust. There was only a quick mention of it during tonight's Phillies/Cubs game.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I am surprised I have heard about Glavine with all the crazy things going on recently.

BONDS

AROD

TRADE DEADLINE

BILL WALSH DEATH

GARNETT TRADE

MIKE VICK

REFEREE SCANDAL

NEED ANYMORE MAJOR HEADLINES

He will get attention when he gets to 300 wins.

I hope this gives you a few reasons why you have not heard about TG.

You do make an excellent point.

Part of it I'm sure has to do with Glavine being such a bland guy. He's been a terrific pitcher for all these years, but the way he pitches is so much the opposite of Ryan.

Nibbling the corners and changing speeds just doesn't create a buzz. Plus, he's now doing this for the Mets, when he's most associated with the Braves. That may have something to do with it.

And his personality is just so unremarkable. What do you think of when you think of Tom Glavine as a guy? Pretty much nothing. He's classy, professional, workmanlike, crafty--and dull.

Still, it's a truly historic moment. He may be the last guy to get there in many, many years.

The media know they can hype win #300 when he goes for it five days from now.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

He is not getting any headlines, because everyone knows he won't get it this week. He'll leave the game down 4-1 tomorrow, before the Mets improbably come from behind victory in the ninth. And Glavine has no shot at winning #300 on Sunday against the Cubs, because they haven't lost in a year.

There I got that off my chest.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif (Sorry I know that goes in the Vent thread, but I couldn't resist)

I've always really loved Glavine, and while I'd love to be able to witness him getting his 300th, I don't want to think about yet another loss for the Crew. Fortunately tomorrow night is our wedding anniversary, so the problem will pretty much solve itself for me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think most people see him as a been on a lot of good teams milestone guy and not really earned it guy. He was very good for most of 1991-1998 but the rest of his career has not been as an ace level player which I think hurts his prestige a bit.

I find it amazing how someone like Biggio, and shortly Glavine, can be over shadowed by A-rod getting 500 hrs or just simple things like the Cubs. Of course A-rod's achievement is a milestone in itself, but that is a lot more attainable then 300 career wins or 3000 hits.

This defiantly isn't a case of small/big market teams because both are on big markets. But this is a case where name recognition really could be a big reason. Example:

Say someone like Jenkins is 1 Hr shy of getting 500 homeruns. Now on a side note someone like A-rod is 1 Hr shy of getting the same milestone....who do you think ESPN/Yahoo/etc. are going to base their media on?

I think its more the fact that Biggo and Glavine haven't played at an elite level in a few years now. Biggio still playing is more sad than exciting, he's a below average player at this point. Glavine hasn't been a real ace for the past 5 years now. Same reason Thomas getting 500 HR's didn't have as much hoopla as ARod will get.

Glavine may be the last guy to hit 300 wins for a long time

Well, the prince of darkness along plenty of other writers have published stories over the last 24 hours suggesting that Glavine may be the last guy to hit 300 wins EVER. Seems to me they've been saying that about quite a few pitchers over the years. A quick Google search reveals that they've been trying to knight the last 300 game winner as early as 1963, when Early Wynn hit the milestone.

I was just at the gym and one of the TVs had a highlight on Glavine and when I got in the car, they were discussing it on the radio too. So there is some awareness today at least.

And I don't really agree that players like Glavine and Biggio didn't get coverage because they aren't elite anymore. Glavine may not the ace anymore, but he's still a very good pitcher and a first ballot hall of famer. Sosa and Griffey certainly aren't elite anymore either, but they got a decent amount of coverage. Granted Jr is more iconic, but he's been getting coverage since he got within 20 homers.

I find it amazing how someone like Biggio, and shortly Glavine, can be over shadowed by A-rod...

In all fairness -- Arod has an OPS almost 400 pts better than Biggio. Arod has the best OPS in all of baseball (full-time starters), and is a lock for AL MVP at this point in the season.

Glavine and Biggio, are collecting (in the grand scheme of the season) insignificant stats, to make the people that obsess about 3000 and 300 happy.

Arod is still defining his legacy -- Glavine and Biggio are hoping not to tarnish theirs.

Also, no dogs were hurt in achieving this milestone.

Why no buzz on Glavine?

Chicks dig the long ball.

In reality, I think that the number of wins a pitcher earns in a career just doesn't seem to be something that much of the "general" baseball fandom pays much attention to. And the lack of 20+ winners in recent years doesn't help the matter, since there isn't much of a horse race with pitchers over who is the best, and seeing three or four dominant pitchers each year. (I'll admit that personally, I haven't paid much attention to the Cy Young polls compared to Rookie of the Year or MVP, and I doubt I'm alone in that.)

With Glavine in particular, his last 20+ win season was 2000 with a 21-9 record. His "162-Game Average" (from Baseball-Reference.com) is a 15-10 mark. To me, that doesn't seem to spark much of an idea of greatness, but has more of an appearance of "above average." And that's the problem with pitching statistics and evaluation compared to position players. They just don't translate well to the "general fan;" and the "general fandom" is where media buzz is built.

As others have said, there are lots of other things in the baseball headlines right now, most notably the trade deadline looming. Leading up to the game tonight, there will be plenty of hype for Glavine, I suspect. He will be the talk of every pre-game show.

Does anyone remember when Glavine was speaking for the players association stating that he thought Milwaukee shouldn't have a team if it couldn't support itself without revenue sharing? I hope some fans at the game tonight remember that.

Does anyone remember when Glavine was speaking for the players association stating that he thought Milwaukee shouldn't have a team if it couldn't support itself without revenue sharing?

I don't recall that statement. I don't think it's all that infuriating though. I'd have to guess it was said a few years ago when the talk of contraction was all the rage. Heck, at that point, I'd imagine quite a few people would have agreed with him.

That said, I'm going to go to tonight's game -just to see- Glavine. I had no plans to go last week but then I realized it could be #300 I decided I would go catch a possible historical moment in baseball.

Plus, he's facing Suppan which helps his chances.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Archived