Brewer Fanatic

Say a prayer for my dad

Principessa21

Gosh darn it, I hate when people do threads like this, but whatev.

My dad is having major surgery for a tumor on his kidney tomorrow. We won't find out if it's malignant until next week. My father is older and not in the best shape, so please keep him in your prayers. The surgery should take 4 hours, hopefully less if the procedure can be done arthroscopicly (sp?). He's doing well, I think because he has a great sense of humor and perspective on life (he's been through a lot). I was actually just joking that his friends are taking it worse than anyone, excluding my wacky aunts.

Anyway, please say a prayer for him or send him some positive vibes his way tomorrow morning. Thanks!

What kind of tumor is it? My brother had renal cell carcinoma two years ago. It was basically a tumor on his kidney. They ended up having to take the whole kidney out, which complicates things further for him since he already has a kidney disease which he's had since birth. So far the cancer is gone but his kidney is most likely failing and he will probably need a transplant sometime in the future. But he was the youngest person that they knew of at the hospital to get this type of cancer (he was only 18 at the time). Usually they see it in men over 50.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think I can update for Principessa. Rawbecht, the situation you describe sounds similar, but I'm not privy to the details. Everything went well today, and a huge THANK YOU! to all who kept him in their thoughts. Thank you.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thanks to everyone for the prayers, messages and responses! It really warms my heart to know what a great community we have here.

The tumor was 4 cm, bigger than they thought, so the doctors removed the whole kidney. My dad was hoping to just have a partial, but they didn't want to take any chances of leaving cancerous cells behind. At least the recovery time has been cut in half. There is an 80% chance it was cancer, and the way the doctors were talking, it sounded like they believed it was maligant. Thankfully, it looked like it was contained to just the kidney. It's amazing, even though the tumor was spreading outside the body, it was covered with a thick layer of fat. If it did spread, there is nothing that could be done (no therapy available for kidney cancer) and he would only have 8-12 months. But the doctors are very positive that it won't come back, I think they said less than 5% chance. Oh, and the procedure was laparoscopic, not arthroscopic as I mentioned in my first post. .

Again, thanks for all the positive thoughts! *BIG HUGS*

This is great news, Principessa21. It sounds like the doctors caught the tumor on time.

That's apparently hard to do with kidney cancer. According to my friend, whose dad was also one of the lucky ones, kidney cancer is rarely spotted while there's still a good chance of doing something about it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That's apparently hard to do with kidney cancer. According to my friend, whose dad was also one of the lucky ones, kidney cancer is rarely spotted while there's still a good chance of doing something about it.

Wow - that's a really scary thought, especially given the '8-12 months' timeframe he'd have had if things hadn't gone so well. Thank goodness, and everyone for keeping him in their thoughts/prayers!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is great news, Principessa21. It sounds like the doctors caught the tumor on time.

I know, isn't it crazy? The doctors told me that kidney tumors grow at 5%, until 4 cm when they just explode and by then it's too late since the cancer doesn't respond to therapy. My father had the tumor for years, and then one day (in Oct.) my father saw something unusual in his urine and decided to have it checked out. He only saw it once and if he ignored it, he would be gone in a year. I just thank God that my father was also one of the lucky ones.

Thanks to all the thoughts, prayers, positive vibes! My dad is doing well. Still in the hospital unforunately, but hopefully he'll be home for Christmas Eve.

Archived