Brewer Fanatic

Favorite 80's Hair Metal Band

TURBO

Now I realize that there are a lot of folks here who hate all that is "hair metal," however, there are also a lot of us who like the genre. Please, no anti-hate-yuk posts. Everyone is more than welcome to start their own "favorite" genre threads, so if you feel the need to trash this one, start your own.

Anyway, my nomination for favorite Hair Metal band is:

RATT

honorable mention:

W.A.S.P.

I'm a HUGE Queensryche fan, but these guys don't quite fit into the hair metal mold imo. Their music is about quality and deep meaning, not so much the sex, drugs and rock and roll attitude that hair metal embraces. I'd throw Iron Maiden in with Queensryche when it comes to quality Metal, but I don't consider them a true hair metal band either. Then there is JUDAS freaking PRIEST! My second favorite band period! I don't consider them hair metal either, even though they were putting out music at the time...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not sure if the fit in perfectly but Motley Crue and Tesla.

I still have a ridiculous amount of hair band cassettes from Jr. High and High School in my basement. Too bad i don't own a cassette player I am sure my fiancee would be appalled at my music choices from my younger days. (she was in grade school during the height of the metal hair bands and doesn't relate to my old mullet pictures).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Winger
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've got a hair collection over 1000 CDs strong....my favorite is and always has been Tesla.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I've got a hair collection over 1000 CDs strong....my favorite is and always has been Tesla.

saw Tesla in concert 3 times back in the day, their first cd "Mechanical Resonance" is a masterpiece as far as 80's metal is concerned... imo anyway.

I guess Queen really can't be considered '80s hair metal. It's too bad, because they were terrific, if undefinable, musicians.

Warrant was pretty good, as was Great White

Queen is more of a 70's band imo...Most of their 80's stuff kind of sucked badly...Radio Ga Ga? What was that all about?

No doubt, Great White has some great stuff, too bad they are mostly remembered for "once bitten twice shy" and the club fire...

*** breaks our cussing rules...you can not circumvent the filter by using acronyms...

edit: which i ironically broke earlier in this thread with my guns n' roses reference...nonetheless, you should avoid this in the future, and i'll edit my post

No doubt, Great White has some great stuff, too bad they are mostly remembered for "once bitten twice shy" and the club fire...
Unfortunately, you see that all the time. There are tons of terrific musicians that have been pigeonholed throughout the years by a mainstream release. Really, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" was very much off the beaten path for Great White. You saw it a lot with the power ballads that many hair bands put out. I had a girlfriend as a kid who went out to buy a White Lion tape because she really liked "When the Children Cry." She was a tad surprised after sampling some of the other music on the album.

GNR is one of my all time favorite bands if not #1. I never seem to throw them into the 80's hair bands when I think of the Warrants, Poison, Winger, Cinderella, Great White, Whitesnake, Faster Pussycat, Dokken, etc. of the era. I guess they seemed somehow a little different to me. Maybe I think their music was a little more gritty or raw rather than the rest of the hair bands that seemed more pop music with loud guitar riffs and singing about hot girls.

I think that is why I was a little leary of including Tesla in the mix but then again when I saw Tesla and Cinderella in concert and also Tesla with Great White I am sure every trailer park for 100 miles was empty that night.

Then again there is the whole speed metal genre with old Metallica, Megadeath, Slayer, Iron Maiden.

saw Tesla in concert 3 times back in the day

I have seen them at least 20 times.

As for the rest of the hair bands listed, I've seen them all at one point or another. I've probably hit 150 shows through the years, alot of those coming from going to all of the Summerfest Rock Stage shows back in the day.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I see a lot of the mainstream hair bands being listed here, you guys have any lesser known favorites?

Among mine, I'd have to say Warrior Soul.

Oh this thread makes me happy!

Guns N Roses is my favorite band period, and Bon Jovi is probably my 2nd favorite, if they count as hair metal. My favorite hair band is Poison. I got to sing on stage with them a few years ago on a reunion tour. It was pretty awesome. I also really like Skid Row, Warrant, and Night Ranger.

I don't listen to any of the 80's hair metal anymore, but in my early teens i was obsessed with Motley Crue and the Shout At The Devil album.

If i could have had any one wish at the time, it would have been to be Nikki Sixx. My bedroom walls were covered in Crue posters and pictures from magazines like Circus. After i finally saw them in concert with Ozzy, my obsession with Motley Crue got even bigger. Then in 1985 i believe they came out with Theater of Pain, a weak and crappy album along with changing their look to all glam and makeup, i was so pissed off at the time by both.

That album/their change in style along with finding stuff like Slayer and other bands helped put an end to my hair metal listening days.

Oh this thread makes me happy!

Guns N Roses is my favorite band period, and Bon Jovi is probably my 2nd favorite, if they count as hair metal. My favorite hair band is Poison. I got to sing on stage with them a few years ago on a reunion tour. It was pretty awesome. I also really like Skid Row, Warrant, and Night Ranger.

ummmm, Bon Jovi is DEFINATELY hair metal, Jon's picture might in fact be in the dictionary under "hair metal"...

I might be wrong, but I think he may have set the tone for the genre and hair style in the early 80's...

I don't consider Nightranger hair metal, their popularity was already pretty much gone when those bands took over.

I see a lot of the mainstream hair bands being listed here, you guys have any lesser known favorites?

Among mine, I'd have to say Warrior Soul.

see favorite 80's metal cds thread for mine...

VAIN and Keel...

Archived