Brewer Fanatic

Favorite Guitarists

Weirdos19
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt Bellamy (Muse - sorry And That, you're unfortunately just wrong!)

You're on my list.

I'd only listen to MUSE if I were in hell and the devil had taken away the John Denver option.

Just watch him play guitar on some live versions. Some of his solo's are straight up NASTY(in a good way)

3TO Apostle

I don't like Rage at all, but some of the sounds Tom Morello makes are pretty insane, considering it doesn't even sound like a guitar. I definitely like Jack White a lot too.

A couple weeks ago in my English Lit class we were watching a Woodstock documentary, and Santana gets into some pretty crazy jams so I'll mention him too.

I don't see any way Hendrix can't be #1.

Why??

Jimi is my favorite and without question, in my mind, the most influential guitarist in the past 50 years. If you like guitar music with distortion or wah-wah peadals--thank Jimi. There isn't a guitarist in the past 40 years who hasn't been directlty or indiectly influenced by Jimi...

Dude. That's what I was saying. I can understand a misunderstanding at 2:11 AM, though.

I don't see any way Hendrix can't be #1.

Why??

Jimi is my favorite and without question, in my mind, the most influential guitarist in the past 50 years. If you like guitar music with distortion or wah-wah peadals--thank Jimi. There isn't a guitarist in the past 40 years who hasn't been directlty or indiectly influenced by Jimi...

Dude. That's what I was saying. I can understand a misunderstanding at 2:11 AM, though.

OK, well I'm glad we agree. I probably should have been posting in the Drunk Thread last night anyway...

My three favorite guitarists (and they're probably the most underrated ones too) are:

Keith Urban

Brad Paisley

Vince Gill

Country guys actually play instruments? I thought they just held them to not look stupid on stage.

Learn something new everyday

Off of the top of my head and in no particular order:

Acoustic

Willie Nelson

Alvin Youngblood Hart

Mississippi John Hurt

Norman Blake

Leo Kotke

Richard Thompson

Tony Rice

Robert Johnson

Django Rheinhardt

Merle Travis

Rev. Gary Davis

Electric

Redd Volkert

Bill Kirchen

Danny Gatton

Jerry Donahue

Chet Atkins

Charlie Christian

Jerry Reed

James Burton

Wes Montgomery

Albert Lee

Vince Gill

Brad Paisley

Jimi Hendrix

Jerry Garcia

Greg Koch

Roy Buchanan

Gatemouth Brown

I'm probably missing a bunch and if I thought about it more, I could add 20 names to each category.

Looking at my list, I notice a lot of Tele players and not any hard-rock/metal players. Both reflect my own listening tastes, I suppose. But I also find it harder to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to metal players -- a lot of those guys are really fast, but fast doesn't always mean better. And amidst the heavy rhtyym section and a double bass drum, it's hard to really listen to the lead lines.

If I had to pick one guy, it'd have to be Chet Atkins. He does stuff that is near-impossible and the fact that he does it with such ease is just sick.

I also just want to say how flipping amazing Milwaukee's own Greg Koch is. He could play with anybody on that list above me and hang right with them.

Just looking at this list reminds me of my utter crapulance as a guitar player -- maybe it's time for some lessons.

My three favorite guitarists (and they're probably the most underrated ones too) are:

Keith Urban

Brad Paisley

Vince Gill

Country guys actually play instruments? I thought they just held them to not look stupid on stage.

Learn something new everyday

C'mon? Shouldn't that be in blue?

I'd wager a bet that the best guitar playing musicians are either jazz or country players, where the guitar playing requires a clean sound (no distortion) and great composition.

Although I'm not a Paisley fan, he does some amazing things with this guitar. Vince Gill is a damn-fine guitarist and probably gets the best example of Tele-tone out of his set up.

Edit: I wouldn't put Stone Gossard in the conversation either, but at least he's not as far away as Greenwood and especially Matt F. Bellamy.

I wouldn't put Stone Gossard in either, but his counterpart Mike McCready is really something special. It was nice to see someone list Willie Nelson. The guy can pick. Same for Brad Paisley.

Bert Jansch

Whoah -- Color me impressed -- My favorite music is from that part of the world and era (Tull/Pentangle/Fairport Convention) -- Along the same lines, John Fahey needs to be mentioned in this thread as well.

I'm a pretty big Fairport Convention fan as well, especially Unhalfbricking. I haven't really listened to John Fahey. I'll have to check him out.

I'm a pretty big Fairport Convention fan as well, especially Unhalfbricking.

A lot of the FC guys ended up either playing or touring with Tull. -- Sandy Denny is on a LZ album -- Jansch & John Renbourn (also of Pentangle) were big Page influences... along with the American bluesmen.

I like Jansch's stuff prior to Pentangle.

I haven't really listened to John Fahey. I'll have to check him out.

I am envious that you get to hear him for the first time. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif -- Check this out...

Archived