Brewer Fanatic

Favorite Guitarists

Weirdos19

Since, we've been on a music topic kick lately, I thought we could cover this topic.

My fav's:

1. Jimmy Page- To me, number one without a doubt. Haunting melodies of Kashmir and Stairway, great solos in every song. Watched the 2 1/2 hour Led Zeppelin concert footage they air on VH1 Classic, and it is amazing how talented the guy is.

2. Eric Clapton- From what I've heard, the guy is absolutely amazing in concert. One guy that I would love to see live.

3. Brian Setzer- See #2. Plus he loves the swing guitar music. Can't get enough of that.

4. Kenny Wayne Sheppard- Very very impressive live. Blew the doors off the colesium in Madison when he was 19. Very underrated.

5. Tommy Morrello- (Rage)- Originality and quality sounds puts him in my top 5. Kinda like Jimmy Page of the 90's.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably just my upbringing, but when I think "guitarist" the first two guys that spring to mind are Jerry Garcia and Robbie Robertson. Thinking more broadly, I don't know how you could place Hendrix out of the top 5. Page and Clapton are in there too, for sure.

The odd thing about the guitar to me is that it produces the most man-made sound of any non-computer based instrument out there. The electric guitar by itself produces very little audible sound. While drums, horns, and even larger basses, can be judged worthy on their own sound, electric guitars are judged by the way people get sounds out of them via effects, cabs and amps. This is why I have little reverence for people with even very good technical skill on the electric guitar. The instrument is so reliant on outside force and is so malleable sound-wise, anyone with a modicum of skill can make it sound decent.

That said, the great guitarists really do stand out because they do the things almost anyone else on earth can't - make the electric guitar sound original.

BTW, if you're looking for a new decent acoustic guitar record, check out the eponymous album from "Rodrigo y Gabriela".

There are a lot of guitarist that are great. The ones I enjoy listening to are:

1. Page

2. Townsend

3. Hendrix

4. Homme

I don't really care about technical stuff. I like how it feels and the soul they put into their playing. That's why I like Jack White too but he is hard to include in any top tens.

This is like one of those arguments you'd have in high school.

"No way, Hendrix is WAY better than Eddie Van Halen. Seriously, stop being stupid."

"Be for real, have you ever HEARD Eruption performed live?"

I don't really care about technical stuff. I like how it feels and the soul they put into their playing.

I've determined that I don't really care about the technicality of guitar playing as well, as long as the music sounds good. While John Lennon was a talented guitarist/pianist, by no means was he a virtuoso, and yet I think he's produced some of the most brilliant music in the past 50 years. Same goes for Robbie Williams.

Kidding about Robbie Williams.

Since all the obvious ones are mentioned, I'll mention some of my other favorites.

Roddy Frame (Aztec Camera)

Johnny Marr (Smiths)

Matt Bellamy (Muse - sorry And That, you're unfortunately just wrong!)

Jack White (White Stripes)

Dan Auerbach (Black Keys)

John Wesley (Porcupine Tree)

About time I made somebody's list - I was wondering what you have to do around here to piss people off!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

lol

well, for me, that was an easy task...

one word posting, or even one line posting got me in the doghouse immediately...

*nervous laugh*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

About time I made somebody's list - I was wondering what you have to do around here to piss people off!

lol

well, for me, that was an easy task...

one word posting, or even one line posting got me in the doghouse immediately...

*nervous laugh*

One line? No way!

Over 20 replies and no mention of Tony Iommi?

I love Hendrix and he deserves all the praise he gets, but IMO Tony Iommi is the most overlooked guitarist whenever there is talk of the great all time guitarists. It could be argued that Black Sabbath is the founders of heavy metal music and the distinctive heavy and dark riffs of Iommi are the backbone of what made Sabbath so great and one of the most influential rock bands ever.

I don't see any way Hendrix can't be #1.

Why??

Jimi is my favorite and without question, in my mind, the most influential guitarist in the past 50 years. If you like guitar music with distortion or wah-wah peadals--thank Jimi. There isn't a guitarist in the past 40 years who hasn't been directlty or indiectly influenced by Jimi...

Archived