Brewer Fanatic

NYM signs Matt Wise (1yr/1.2M or 750k buyout)

Tisko

Bye Matt and your unusual facial attachment. You were always one of my favorite Brewers if for no other reason than you were able to tame Turnbow to be your pet monkey and it was fun to see a Stick Insect pitch.

Be successful against everyone except us, oh, and don't hit anyone in the face. Apparently it makes you not good pitcher be...

So... Wise for Mota. Who has the better year?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So... Wise for Mota. Who has the better year?
Mota is probably more reliable for innings and that is all that mattered. Gagne probably needs to be babied some, Turnbow stinks when used a lot. Shouse is a LOOGY. We'll have 1 or 2 SP that are being converted to RP who will probably not be going back to back days. There just wasn't room for another guy who can't pitch back to back days on a regular basis.

I liked him and he seemed to like Wisconsin. He stayed in Wisconsin over the all star break and his comment when asked about that was I'm a cheese head. Best of luck to you Matt. To me you are like Cirrillo and will always be a Brewer.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

When they come to Milwaukee, the clubhouse boys better make sure that salad is included in the Mets pre-game buffet. Of course, there would be some extra sharp tongs to go along with the salad.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mota is probably more reliable for innings and that is all that mattered
How can you call someone he can't get anyone out reliable. Mota can only be relied upon to give away games. Wise's weakness was that he played with too many relievers who couldn't get people out, so they team had to give relievers specific roles instead of using them in a rotation.

I'll go ahead and guarantee Wise outpitches Mota next year, like he has every year

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I still find all the Mota instead of Wise thing a little odd.

Each guy has their own baggage. Wise has seen his numbers declining, and hasn't been particularly durable - not to mention his meltdown last season after hitting the other player. Still, a 3.77 ERA over the past three years is pretty solid. And as people noted - he seemed to like Milwaukee. It's nice to have guys like that.

But Mota has shown to be very mediocre - a 5.00 ERA in the last three years. And the whole testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance gots to make you wonder. And the kicker is that he's making $2 million more than Wise. Would it have simply been better to keep Wise and release Estrada - we would have saved $2 million.

I guess Mota's durability is attractive to the club.

All in all, we get a guy who is worse, costs $2 million more, but can pitch more (maybe that's not such a good thing, if he keeps up like last season and his 5.76 ERA).

I'm just hoping that the Brewers' starters pitch well enough that Mota won't have to get any important innings to blow, if he shows no improvement. There's no reason why Mota should get any innings with a small lead unless he shows signs of actually being decent. Turnbow, Riske, Torres, and Gagne are obviously all better late-inning options.

And I should hope that at least 6 innings from any of our starters is to be expected.

As for the actual thread topic, I'm going to really miss Matt, he was hilarious.

I guess Mota's durability is attractive to the club.

That's what they've claimed, but someone not too long back posted Mota's splits on pitching back-to-back days from 2007, and they weren't very pretty. Mota's a hard thrower, and DM & Co. + Maddux seem to like that type as a project player.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

i suspect the brewers think there was more to wise's epic collapse than just having a broken mind...

his being cut demostrates the brewers thoughts..

also, didn't someone post a wek or two ago wise's stats from the second half of the last three years and show that he was harsh bad after the all-star break?

Mota's numbers were better than his ERA last season too. His xERA was 4.37 which is nothing special but represents his skills better than his ERA does. He had a 60% strand rate last year for whatever reason after having relatively strong strand rates the rest of his career and a higher than normal BABIP against. He still walks too many guys which hopefully Maddux helps him with.

Career wise, he is almost identical on 0 days rest as he is in his career.

Doa, where did you find this? I'd love to have that resource (pitching splits) - was it just ESPN?

Pogo - that was MJ Liverock, bending me over a barrell in a debate about Wise (from the "Torres to Milwaukee..." thread):

Matt Wise managed 37.2 innings in 1st half 07 and 16 attrocious innings in second half 07.
Matt Wise managed to pitch in 30 innings in first half 2006 and 14 innings in second half 06
Matt Wise managed to pitch in 46 innings in first half 2005 and 18 innings in second half 05

Matt Wise career:
pre All-Star break 169 IP, 1.14 WHIP, and .227 BAA, OPS+ 85
pst All-Star Break 141IP, 1.40 WHIP, and .264 BAA , OPS+ 117

Notice a pattern here? So to answer your question, yes my memory works further back than 2007.

I wouldn't count on Matt Wise for a full year especially given how downright terrible he was in the second half of last year. I guess I don't buy the, "but he hit a guy in the head " excuse for him.

Not pretty, as you said.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If the mlb season were only 85 games long, Matt Wise would be great in any bullpen.

It's the last 3 months of the season when teams that have him on their roster cringe. He has been way below average during seasons' second halves for more than just the post-facial with a baseball from 07.

The Brewers main pitching weaknesses last season were a lack of starting pitching getting out of the 6th inning, and dependable and durable middle relievers who could eat innings and keep the back end of the pen from wearing out. Wise was a part of that weakness. He was a great guy and all, but being a great guy doesn't help a taxed bullpen unless he can pitch in back to back games without needing 4 days to recover after doing so.

Archived