Brewer Fanatic

favorite former farmhand

DHonks

hey everyone, just thought I'd see who everyone else had as a favorite at one time.

I'd say that my two favorites who never panned out were Ryan Poe and Jose Mieses. For a hitter, I love the Jim Rushford story.

I let myself get optimistic about Ben Diggins after the Tyler Houston trade. After his major league pitching debut and subsequent injuries, I checked the link reports regularly to see how he was doing as a first baseman/designated hitter. I lost track of him after he left the system in the minor league portion of the rule 5 draft.

Some of the Denver Zephyrs put up huge stats when they were our AAA affiliate. One of the names that I always looked for was Jim Olander.

Christian (sp?) Guerrero....I was so jacked up on him....the "new Vlad."

He didn't let me down....he threw me down and stomped on me.

I was also really high on Jason Belcher.....hit over .650 both his Junior and Senior years in high school as I recall.

toby--

i completely forgot about the fact that stewart was with the team forever...

in fact, i was distinctly irritated when they didnt add him to the 40 man after 2002..

he...i remember very little..

oh yeah...add dave pember to my list..

I'm with foamboy, Jason Belcher probably had my attention more than most prospects in recent years, and his rapid disappearance was particularly disappointing. As foamboy mentioned, Belcher hit for incredibly high averages in high school, and I also seem to remember him only striking out like once his senior season.

I've brought this up before, but Jim Tatum often goes unmentioned when John Jaha and Dave Nilsson are brought up. Tatum's numbers were just as impressive as those two's, and he played third base during a time when the team really needed a third baseman.

These names probably tell my age but, can anyone remember the "Sundown Kid" Danny Thomas, the "shortstop of the future" Tom Bianco or our first phenom pitcher Butch Edge? These guys were the dreams of my youth.

Tom Bianco....? That's a name with which I'm not familiar. Was he around awhile ago, or some obscure rookie leaguer?

Edit: I was curious enough to check...he's the 1st round pick in 1971. Interesting....did he flame out early?

Foamboy1

Back in the early days all we ever heard about was the first round draft pick. The Brewers selected Bianco and then they told us about how great he would be...until they drafted a young kid named Yount. Bianco was then moved to 3rd base and he rose through the ranks(still being hyped big time). Eventually he made the show but when he got to Milwaukee he wasn't very good. He played part of a season and was traded(to the yankees IIRC). As a side note, in order to take Bianco the Brewers passed on another young shortstop who later moved to 3rd. The Phillies took the other guy, his name was Mike Schmidt.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived