Brewer Fanatic

Worst Rock Band of All Time

homer
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good/bad is subjective

i hate the rolling stones...does that make them bad? nah..

i also hate kiss...it's pointless party music akin to reel big fish (who i like) or wham! (which at least one of you likes, admit it...) but that doesn't make it bad...

many hear are quick to dimiss music because it's too popular...

many are quick to dismiss music because it's not popular...

both of these arguments are polarizing with the purpose of getting someone at your back...

anyway, i think this is fun discussion..but you can't declare anyone right or wrong here...

Thats what I was trying to get at. The arguements that were being made for certain bands to be considered good were that they sold out concerts and sold a lot of records. I was just saying that really isnt a good way to judge good or bad, but come to tihnk of it I can't think of anyway to judge music.

People like Soulja Boy and all that emo stuff thats big right now, but there isnt any way thats good music is it?

agreed, but if the masses like it, it has to be good on some level, or maybe the masses are mentally challenged?

I hear what you are saying, and for the life of me, I have never understood the crazes such as the "macarena", "achy breaky heart", or the baha men's "who let the dogs out," but crap like that appeals to someone, or it wouldn't get the exposure...

sad world isn't it?

So then, does that mean that N'sync is good? I'll stick with not the fact that the masses are mentally challenged, just the people who force that stuff down our throats on the radio all the time. Just because something is the best of a poor product, doesn't mean that product is actually any good. Just good by comparison.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Back on topic...

I vote for Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

In the spirit of the old "Rocky and Bullwinkle" show, I've come up with 2 pun-based titles to this post:

1. Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Always Sucks

or

2. Oooh, What A Lucky Man He Wasn't

On another note turborickey you my friend are quickly becoming my Skip Bayless on this page, not trying to insult you just saying that I rarely agree with you but I always read what you say and you make me think, but hey thats what a message board is all about.

lol

well, when it comes to music, I am deeply opinionated, always have been, however, I do not take it personally when someone comes out and slams KISS, my favorite band of all time. People tend to take it personal when you say you don't like their music, band, singer, etc, but it isn't the same thing as saying YOU suck, just your musical tastes...lol

Anyway, you comment doesn't offend me, and yes, these boards are for providing the basis for new thoughts, glad I can assist you in that department...

Wow, I slam Kiss your favorite band you slam RHCP, one of my favorite bands. Agree to disagree it is.

The Chili Peppers had a fairly profound impact on me musically during my teen years. I had finally started to rid myself of the 80's hair metal i was wrapped up in for a few years and the Peppers were one reason why. I had begun dating this girl and she put on this CD that was loud and funky at the say time, i still remember asking her, who the hell is this? She says The Red Hot Chili Peppers, to which i responded, the Red Hot what?

I was instantly hooked on it, but they were a pretty new band at the time with not much out yet. I had to go to Rushmore Records to even find their stuff because they weren't popular yet at all. I played it for my friends and most got into it just like i did, with a few exceptions. That's a time in my life i look very fondly at from a music sense. Prior to then all i allowed myself to listen to was 80's hair metal and Doors/Sabbath/Floyd etc. Bands like The Chili Peppers, Beasties, and punk bands got me to really expand my musical tastes and i became a sponge for all kinds of music vs listening to the same stuff over and over or whatever lame radio stations pumped out to me.

I don't listen to the Peppers all that often anymore, but they certainly had a big influence on me.

I love this thread because it sounds like me and my friends after the game is over and we have a six pack in us. I would argue that there is such a thing as "good" music but that it bears little to no relationship to what you like. Well thought out arrangements, perfectly played instruments, thought provoking lyrics, I would say are hallmarks of "good" music, and then there are those among us who like Kiss or Aerosmith, both of which don't really bring anything new to the table, they are just fun and easy to listen too. The music I hate is neither, for the lack of a better word it is boring. People mock Ryan Adams, but at least it seems a little different to me, and I enjoy that.

I don't know if I can really defend Green Day because I hated them during the "Dookie" era but they've grown on me over the years. Warning: is an underrated album and American Idiot really does bring to mind The Who's "A Quick One", to which I've often seen it compared.
Wow, I honestly don't think I've ever heard a fan of Green Day say that before. I'm not trying to insult you or anything but that's the exact opposite of what most people would say. Also, in my opinion, Warning is super overrated, and Dookie's great. Anywho, most 80s hair metal bands could easily be number 1 for me, but I'll probably say Def Leppard (sp?) simply because my dad for some reason still listens to them, and I literally cannot stand listening to a song by them. I haven't looked at all the posts, but has anyone said Hinder? They would probably fit the criteria cause of "Lips of an Angel", they should at least get a mention.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wow, I honestly don't think I've ever heard a fan of Green Day say that before. I'm not trying to insult you or anything but that's the exact opposite of what most people would say. Also, in my opinion, Warning is super overrated, and Dookie's great. Anywho, most 80s hair metal bands could easily be number 1 for me, but I'll probably say Def Leppard (sp?) simply because my dad for some reason still listens to them, and I literally cannot stand listening to a song by them. I haven't looked at all the posts, but has anyone said Hinder? They would probably fit the criteria cause of "Lips of an Angel", they should at least get a mention.

Reminds me of the old joke........."What has 9 arms and sucks?"

The answer, of course, being "Def Leppard".

And I agree, Hinder is awful.

What about the band Monster Magnet? They had one hit song, Space Lord, and then promptly fell off the face of the music scene. I remember seeing them at a Rob Zombie/Fear Factory concert, and Monster Magnet had opened. They were about 3 songs into their set, when between songs, there was kind of a lull, and someone in the crowd shouted "PLAY SPACE LORD AND THEN GET OFF THE ------- STAGE!", which was followed by a pretty loud round of applause.

Reminds me of the old joke........."What has 9 arms and sucks?"

The answer, of course, being "Def Leppard".

And I agree, Hinder is awful.

What about the band Monster Magnet? They had one hit song, Space Lord, and then promptly fell off the face of the music scene. I remember seeing them at a Rob Zombie/Fear Factory concert, and Monster Magnet had opened. They were about 3 songs into their set, when between songs, there was kind of a lull, and someone in the crowd shouted "PLAY SPACE LORD AND THEN GET OFF THE ------- STAGE!", which was followed by a pretty loud round of applause.

I thought i was the only person left that remembered MM. Space Lord was cool, but everything else they ever made sucked big time. They were cool for about 2 weeks.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

good/bad is subjective

i hate the rolling stones...does that make them bad? nah..

i also hate kiss...it's pointless party music akin to reel big fish (who i like) or wham! (which at least one of you likes, admit it...) but that doesn't make it bad...

many hear are quick to dimiss music because it's too popular...

many are quick to dismiss music because it's not popular...

both of these arguments are polarizing with the purpose of getting someone at your back...

anyway, i think this is fun discussion..but you can't declare anyone right or wrong here...

KISS only party music? Absolutely 100% incorrect sir!

Most people know KISS as the band who did "Rock and Roll all night" which is the one KISS song I'd like to delete forever!

Also, most people who slam KISS haven't heard more than 4 or 5 of their songs, usually the ones that made radio play or Guitar Hero Video games. (Rock and Roll all Night, Calling Dr. Love, Beth, Hard Luck Woman, I was Made for Loving You, Shout it out loud...) (sidenote: A lot of people think Garth Brooks wrote and made Hard Luck Woman a hit a few years ago, that kind of ignorance just blows my mind.) All had commercial success, however, this small sample of tunes is not even close to their best songs. Ah, well, there is no point in trying to change anyone's mind, so I'll stop here with my KISS props.

You are correct about one thing though, no one is right or wrong when it comes to good and bad music...well, er, um, except for those who think rap music is good music, or even music for that matter...lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I hate Creed because I blame them for the wussification of WJJO. Ever since they became popular all the music on WJJO sounds like a bunch of power balads.

and that is CREED's fault?

Wouldn't that injustice be put on the music programmers at WJJO? Creed made the crappy music, true, but Radio chooses to play them, no one makes them...

Wow...lots of Nickelback haters. I'm a fan.

I was thinking a bit older school....April Wine.

oh man, I love those guys, I have several of their cds, oh man...

Here is my take on KISS. They were a mediocre band that made the most of what they had. Musically they were nothing earth shattering. But it's hard to find a band work so hard to please its fans as much as KISS has done. Their presentation is so overwhelming that it almost forces you to completely embrace what they're about regardless of how rediculous it is. I truly believe that they think that rock & roll can save the world. They had some good/great riffs. Some of the songs were alright too, although some of the songs were borderline terrible which made them so hilarious you have to enjoy it. You get sucked into it. Some of my favorite music memories are listening to KISS with buddies and seeing a KISS tribute band.

I see a ton of live music and am getting sick of all the armeicana/alt-country complete saturation here in Wisconsin. I cannot enjoy that every one of these acts is just trying to be the next Ryan Adams or Jayhawks. As much as I enjoy a lot of that music, I also like to rock out on a Friday night and not get in touch with my feelings. After seeing some of this live music, I find myself going home and putting an AC/DC album or something like KISS Alive on the turntable and listen to it before I go to bed just to clean the pallet. The other week I was watching VH1 Classic and they were showing KISS all day long. I got sucked in for a couple hours that day watching it. That evening the lady and I drove down to Milwaukee to a holiday party. And the lady grabbed KISS S/T & Dressed To Kill to listen to for the drive down. Were rocking out the entire time. And I still get pumped up to see Detroit Rock City.

To get back on the subject, KISS is not the greatest band ever. They are borderline good. However they are far from the worst band ever. KISS is like like a mythological creature. KISS is an "experience" more than anything. And they should be respected for that.

Sorry about the length. I just found the need to defend KISS for some strange reason.

And my vote for worst band goes to Nickleback because there is nothing original about them whatsoever and I am too lazy to think of anyone else more deserving.

Wow...lots of Nickelback haters. I'm a fan.

My wife has really gotten into Nickelback. She's the kind of person that would never go out an purchase a CD or download any music, but all of a sudden she had to go out and get a Nickelback CD. Our rule is that whoever is driving basically controls the music in the car. Thankfully, we pretty much always use my car and I drive when we go someplace together. I love her dearly, but she has some of the absolute worst taste in music...Streisand, The Carpenters, Barry Manilow...it's unbearable. And no, she's not 60, she's 41. At the same time she also likes all the hair bands from the 80's, which I can't stand either. Uggghhh. About the only thing we have in common when it comes to music, is that we both hate country music.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'll have to vote for Nickelback, Hoobastank, and Limp Bizkit. As for Creed, I don't really think they were all that bad, but Scott Stapp sucked. Check out Creed's insturmentalist's new band Alter Bridge, minus Stapp, and sound nothing like they used too. It is actually really good IMO.

turborickey wrote:

Yes it is. They made their music just "hard rock" enough to slide under the radar with their Spears like canned rock that now everybody thinks that their power balad like crap is also hard rock. The station managers are somewhat to blame, but without Creed becoming popular there would be a lot less crappy music in the world.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

turborickey wrote:

Yes it is. They made their music just "hard rock" enough to slide under the radar with their Spears like canned rock that now everybody thinks that their power balad like crap is also hard rock. The station managers are somewhat to blame, but without Creed becoming popular there would be a lot less crappy music in the world.

I still don't think you can blame the band if they have no say in thier airplay, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Bon Jovi Sucks.
You are absolutely right. To me, they don't suck quite as hard as Bush did, but I feel their longevity in sucktitude should get them the first Lifetime Achievement Award for Sucking.

Someone else mentioned Daughtery. They would definitely get the Worst New Artist award from me. God, are they bad.

On another note, the utter vitriol that a small but significant segment of the population holds for the Eagles never fails to amaze me. I'm a casual fan of their music, but I've never seen a classic rock band that so many people hate so strongly. I've always wondered why that is. Should have done my college thesis on this topic.

Archived