Brewer Fanatic

Worst Rock Band of All Time

homer
Invader3K[/b]]I think a lot of people don't like them because of Bono's politics.

Going back to U2, I actually like Bono's politics. Its one of his redeeming qualities if you ask me, I just can't tolerate the music. Oh and I love that everyone on here thinks the same way I do about Nickelback, can't handle it, its just so generic. Bland is the true definition of bad for me, I understand why people don't like Beck or other unique bands, but at least they are trying something different. Nickelback is just talentless hacks playing to the lowest common denominator.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nickelback is just talentless hacks playing to the lowest common denominator.

well, there are obviously a lot more people who like them, than hate them, based on the amount of albums they sell...

going against the grain a bit, I have really liked some of their songs, some annoy the hell out of me, and after their first album, they all sound the same to me...

worst band ever is stretching it though imo...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rap is really not 'rock'.....not sure how that whole tangent started. Maybe a new thread for 'worst muscial genre' would be appropriate.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Has anyone on this board actually listened to something by Nickleback other than what is played on the radio?

I have, and as I said, I have liked some of their stuff... I definately don't hate them or consider them to be one of the worst ever by a long shot.

They get played too much on the radio, which is probably why so many hate them, overexposure turns a lot of good stuff into bad stuff, but to say they are the worst band ever is not an accurate statement imo.

Rap is really not 'rock'.....not sure how that whole tangent started. Maybe a new thread for 'worst muscial genre' would be appropriate.

it started because I mentioned that I hate any band with a rap influence, like Limp Bizkit Korn, etc...

Vanilla Ice was also mentioned, he is a rapper no?

Backstreet Boys, 98 degrees and insync are not "rock" either, yet they are mentioned in this thread as well.

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: mu·sic

Pronunciation: \?myü-zik\

Function: noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: Middle English musik, from Anglo-French musike, from Latin musica, from Greek mousik? any art presided over by the Muses, especially music, from feminine of mousikos of the Muses, from Mousa Muse

Date: 13th century

1 a: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b: vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

So I don't know how anyone could say rap isn't music, even if they don't like it as a genre. It easily meets the most basic definition of the term.

Nickleback on the other hand...

Has anyone on this board actually listened to something by Nickleback other than what is played on the radio?

At one time or another, I've heard all of both "Curb" and "The State" and probably most of "Silver Side Up." I want that time back, but I ain't gonna get it.

"Vanilla Ice was also mentioned, he is a rapper no? "

Only by the loosest of definitions.....kinda like saying Rosie O'Donnell is a woman.

And I think someone said "all rap is crap" or something to that effect.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"Vanilla Ice was also mentioned, he is a rapper no? "

Only by the loosest of definitions.....kinda like saying Rosie O'Donnell is a woman.

And I think someone said "all rap is crap" or something to that effect.

well, Vanilla Ice being mentioned in a rock thread is what got it started, loose or not, he is known as a rapper, no worse than the rest imo...

and whoever said rap is crap is a genius!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

In terms of worst musical skill among solo artists, the obvious choices are Sid Vicious...

I believe this thread is about bands, soooo...

anyway, wow, sid and the sex pistols is some bad stuff, I had a friend who loved them but I couldn't relate, talk about trash...

IMO in every single musical genre there are nuggets and there are the things that float in toilets. There has to be ying to the yang. That being said, Nickelback are the yangiest set of yangs that ever yanged.

And as for the comment about them being popular, hell, the Chicken Dance is popular...

Actually, Vanilla Ice was mentioned about four posts after "all rap is crap" which is what started the rap discussion.

Back to bad ROCK bands.....

If we want to talk bands from the 80's, I think Huey Lewis and the News really sucked. Some catchy tunes but lord were those lyrics bad.

Actually, Vanilla Ice was mentioned about four posts after "all rap is crap" which is what started the rap discussion.

Back to bad ROCK bands.....

If we want to talk bands from the 80's, I think Huey Lewis and the News really sucked. Some catchy tunes but lord were those lyrics bad.

People listen to lyrics? Who knew?

To paraphrase Richard Dreyfus, if that's a parameter, we're going to need a bigger thread!

Nickelback, probably.

But I do want to add a Ryan Adams quote on Creed:

"Putting your left foot on a monitor speaker, in leather pants and a muscle shirt, singing, 'Can you take me higher?' to 100,000 people? That's not cool. That's boring. You're obviously doing something wrong."

Though I will cop to owning "My Own Prison", but I think I was in 7th/8th grade when I got it.

And I definitely can get behind the Eagles sentiment. They're just so... boring and milquetoast. It's like "we have the 'country rock/adult alternative' formula, now that's run that bad boy into the ground 90 times".

I really dislike hair bands. A lot. Also, to add a new name, I'll throw Buckcherry out there.

I agree with Toby on Green Day and Offspring (better before they changed to The Offspring). They were really good but then kind of lost their way after the first couple albums. The Offspring in particular have had some bad albums, and they're still going. They made a ton of money though, so good for them.

Not sure if The Cure would get labeled a rock band, but they get my vote as the worst

Nickelback is terrible, just not The Cure terrible

I'm with the Green Day haters, Billy Joe Armstrong's voice grates on my eardrums

Even though i spent about two years of my youth obsessed with Motley Crue, 80's hair metal ranks right at the top of a genre of music i would need to get paid to listen to it. Just terrible except for maybe a few songs i can tolerate. Same with most country music.

Rap i'm very picky with. Alot of the rap out there i don't like much, but the select rap i do like is about a 15-20% of my music collection and it's great buzz music

I can understand people not being into them, but I don't see how anyone can bash U2 in terms of musicianship. I mean, Bono's vocal range alone is pretty amazing. Edge's guitar parts are pretty effects-driven, but it's the trademark of U2's sound. I think a lot of people don't like them because of Bono's politics.

I liked them back in the 80s even with their politics. Haven't cared for much of their post-Joshua Tree material.

Green Day, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Bowling For Soup, or any similar band of that nature. Any type of group that pounds out a couple power chords for the duration of the song with no interesting musical aspects, combined with atrocious lyrics and/or screaming with angst about what angers them is pretty bad imo.

Archived