colbyjack
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

1. Meyer

2. Braggs

3. Robidoux

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

1. Meyer

2. Braggs

3. Robidoux

The bad old days, when we didn't have to worry about the Crew competing. I long for those times (non-blue).

While Meyer, Braggs and Robidoux were the top prospects through three very frustrating years in the Brewers history (1984-1986) they were part of top prospects lists that led up to a fairly successful period in the Brewers history (1987-1992), even if none of those three guys had much to do with that success (unfortunately). And they handed the torch off to an even better collection of talent that all had their mark at the big-league level which included Nieves, Bosio, Wegman, Plesac and Sveum and later Sheffield, Surhoff, Hamilton, Vaughn, Navarro, Spiers, Nilsson, Eldred and Henry.

It's the talent in the 90s that sunk the franchise for so long.

Thanks for your submission RyDogg, but the polling is closed.

we're all waiting....

Good to know. Keep waiting...

Seriously, I'm finishing up the story now. An invite to Saturday's Packers game has delayed this story a day. I might get it to Brian as early as this afternoon.

I wrapped up the story yesterday and got the story off to Brian. I hope everyone enjoys the results.

It was cool seeing both Matt LaPorta and Mat Gamel on TV during tonight's Winter Warmup broadcast. LaPorta I have seen several times, mostly on TV, and I got to talk to him once for the Brewerfan interview, but Gamel I don't recall ever seeing on video or even being interviewed, so seeing him live and hearing him speak was pretty cool.

And I think it reinforces just how highly the Brewers think of him. Of all of the prospects to come to Milwaukee for this event, LaPorta may seem like a no-brainer but Gamel may not (although that may change with the poll results).

Most impressive is how big Gamel is. He's taller than LaPorta, and while he isn't as barrel-chested (few are), he has some good size to him, and they also showed some video of him from the HWB.

Good stuff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A buddy of mine was at the Winter Warmup and said LaPorta is like 5'10.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So he's 6'0" like Prince is 6'0", then huh. From the winter warm-up video, I really thought LaPorta didn't look to be six feet. My guess is you could reverse the two heights as listed on MiLB.com & be pretty close to the real heights. If anything, Gamel looked like he was pushing 6'3" - I didn't expect him to be as lanky as he is. He really has some power potential once he fills out his frame.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One more reason I like Gamel better. I think there's something to be said for height, though admittedly it's a very small advantage. It's one of the reasons I regret rating Gindl as high as I did on my list. When I found out he was really only 5'7" my heart just sunk.

hmmmmm........the player index and mlb.com also have Mat's middle name listed as Floyd, which it is not. I would guess he is roughly 6'2". My dad is about 6'2", and Mat is every bit as tall as him. As far as him growing since he was drafted, I am not sure. It seems as though he has just always been taller than me so I guess I don't pay very close attention to how much.

Archived