Brewer Fanatic

Top Prospect Fan Poll - Results on homepage

colbyjack

It's that time of year again. With the Winter Meetings behind us and two months before pitchers and catchers report, there's an awful lot of time between now and mid-February to fill up with some kind of discussion. Since the AFL and Hawaii leagues have finished, there hasn't been much to talk about.

So, it's time for you to make a mark and contribute to the 2008 top prospect fan poll. Here's last year's finished product for reference:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewArticle.do?articleId=256

Here's how it works: Compile a list of who you feel the Brewers top 20 prospects are. Be sure not to include any player that has already accumulated 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched at the big-league level. When done email that list (or send a PM) to me at this email address:

pebert@brewerfan.net

I will assign values in reverse order of the rankings, with 20 points given to every first-place vote and one point assigned to every 20th place vote. The prospect with the most points will receive the highest ranking.

You have two full weeks to get your votes in, as I will accept submissions through 11:59 PM CST on New Year's Eve (I can think of no better way to start the new year than starting to compile the data http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif).

Please note in your email what your board name is. Thanks in advance for your participation!

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would imagine if you posted this in the Major League forum you might get a few more responses. I know a lot of people don't read every forum.

It's an awkward decision to post in the Major League Forum because if you normally don't check this forum, do we really want you taking a stab at compiling an "in the know" top 20 list with only a hint of background information? I do think the deadline needs to extend into mid-January, though, when more minor league fans might slide over to check on the latest AAA veteran signings or such. I can certainly understand why volume and interest has been light here since 12/17 (when colbyjack first posted this thread) through the present, with virtually no news and the holiday season and all. I think the Minor League Forum went a full week without a new post, certainly the first time in years that's happened.

Edit: I just re-read my post and hope it didn't come off as (dreaded word alert) "elitist". I just thought that regular followers of the minor league scene would lend more credence to a legitimate fan poll.

Not elitist at all, MH. In fact, "if you normally don't check this forum, do we really want you taking a stab at compiling an "in the know" top 20 list with only a hint of background information?" is precisely why I haven't sent anything in. I have a long, long way to go to get up to the great level of this forum, sadly. I should be able to be at least a tad informative on the Portland Beavers & some of their PCL opponents next summer, but probably won't be able to provide anything you guys didn't already know anyway!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think part of the reason is for the lack of excitement following many of the youngsters right now. When the Brewers had little talent in the majors, we couldn't help but be excited by even mediocre prospects. 5 years ago, Katin, Irribaren, Escobar, LaPorta, etc would be making most of us salivate. now, they're hardly on most peoples' radars

Mass put it well, and sums up my thoughts, which isn't to be taken as an insult to anyone that doesn't regularly visit this forum. However, if you don't visit this forum regularly, you probably don't have your finger on the pulse of the organization's prospects as much as most.

And yes, if the replies are slow I do intend to extend the deadline, but I wasn't going to announce that now, not that it makes that big of a difference.

I dont know, I havnt submited my list yet. Just alot more uncertainty at this point than last year. Last season it was Braun/Gallardo then Inman then after that you name your favorites.

Escobar-I, like probably alot of people, havnt had the opportunity to see him play outside of that half inning or whatever in the Future's Game. And judging by the stats and numbers he is a tweener that doesnt walk and as a person that likes sabermetrics its hard to like his value and I seem to find myself including him in alot of my fantasy trade proposals

LaPorta-A nice player but another defensive question mark. Its pretty hard to get excited about those right now

Rogers-Is he still alive? How the heck do I rate him

Parra-Im just scared as soon as I get excited he will get hurt again. Plus I dont know how good of a prospect he is. Guys like Gallardo, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, etc. all appeared on National Prospect lists for a couple of years. While Parra didnt come from nowhere, his stock was pretty much at a low before the season.

Jeffress-doesnt seem too interested in his development at this point.

Salome-Roids or Aderol

Brantley-Hard to find a big league comparison. Really doesnt slug enough to play left or first but seems stuck there. The organizations doesnt promote him after an OBP over .420 after the first month last year. Then they skip him a level but finds infrequent PT. Does this organization actually believe he is a prospect

Brewer-BA: July-.218 August-.213 September-.222 Not exactly showing improvement in his first full professional season

I guess if I had the answer to these questions it would be alot easier:

Parra-Is he going to stay healthy?

LaPorta-How bad is the defense? Can he really handle left field?

Jeffress-Does he actually want to play baseball?

Gamel-What is his defensive future?

Salome-Roids or aderol?

Ford-Can he hit beyond A ball?

Gillespie-Will he hit at AA? (really the question is: He is 23 and a sub .800 OPS in A+; Does he really project as an everyday player or have the time to develop into one?)

Escobar-Will he ever walk?

Brantley-Does this organization think he is a prospect?

Brewer-Will that toolsy athleticism ever translate into production?

Bray-Why does no ML executive want to give him a chance?

Braddock-Health?

Rogers-Health?

What about the big money invested in foreign signings (Pascual, Mercedes, Peralta), DFE (Haydel, Robinson, Bryson), and tough signs (Scrapetta, Seidel) who havent done anything above Rookie ball?

I guess guessing at those answers is what makes this fun.

when I prepared my list, I was struck by how strong the talent was in the 20-40 slots. Those guys are still longshots to have a productive major league career, but they do have a shot. with parra, laporta, jeffress et al, the top of the list is still pretty good. No Fielder, Weeks, Gallardo, Braun, perhaps, but they aren't that far off.

26 entries so far, with 3 others that I'm waiting to hear back from since there were a couple of errors that I need to clarify. Please be sure to check your email and/or inbox just in case you're one of the people that submitted a list that I have a question about.

A pretty tight race between #1 and #2.

colbyjack wrote:

A pretty tight race between #1 and #2.

I'm curious to see who's number 3. That could go to about 4 or 5 different players.

Agreed. 1 and 2 are pretty clear cut to me, it's just a matter of personal preference. 3 is the interesting spot, although I had a lot of trouble with 4 and 5 as well. There's just a lot up in the air with our current prospects.

In the comments section of Sickels' Brewers list, someone had this sig that made me laugh out loud:

There are no prospects on other teams, only players that Jack Zduriencik didn't want.

I just started thinking about my top 20 guys. I pulled out everyone out of the minor league system I considered a prospect of any current value, and I pulled out 75 names - that's a lot more than I remember considering before. Whether that speaks to the depth of the system or the similarity of generally less-talented players is something to be determined. The top portion is certainly less "distinguished" than it has been, but there's no doubt there's some sort of depth there.

Sickels just released his Brewers list today.

http://minorleagueball.com/

In that post he said pretty much what I was thinking - once you get into the mid-teens there are a lot of players who are interchangeable. Also nice to know that I'm not the only one who isn't sold on Escobar and Ford. Looks a lot like my list but I have Escobar lower and Braddock and Bryson higher. And maybe my childhood heroes Gorman Thomas and Rob Deer are fueling my growing man-crush on Katin, but when you lead the Southern League in HRs and RBIs even if you strike out a ton that has got to be worth something.

37 submissions so far, thanks again to everyone for getting their entries in. I will extend the deadline past this evening, but I'm not sure how long. I'm thinking at least through the weekend ahead, but please don't let that be a reason for you to procrastinate longer. I'm guessing some people have been gone and/or busy with the holidays and I want to give everyone enough time to get their votes in.

some of sickels' list seems pretty much out of left field.

Like which parts?

I didn't really want to say, but since I was asked: I'm not saying I know more than him or anything, but these seemed unexpected 17. R.J. Seidel, RHP, Grade C 19. Cody Scarpetta, RHP, Grade C 20. Dan Merklinger, LHP, Grade C and these either significantly optimistic or pessimistic: 5. Jonathan Lucroy, C, Grade B- (I had him around 10-11, and thought that was generous) 6. Taylor Green, 3B, Grade B- 9. Caleb Gindl, OF, Grade C+ (I don't see how you can put a guy with physical limitations like gindl in your top 10 until he's advanced farther). 13. Zach Braddock, LHP, Grade C+ (do we even know what his physical status is?) 14. Robert Bryson, RHP, Grade C+ (I guess if you had about 20 guys equal and threw darts this might make sense, he just hasn't done enough yet). 16. Brent Brewer, SS, Grade C (tools, tools, tools, he has to be higher than that).

Sickels list was pretty realistic overall. Can you argue that guys should be different on the list. Sure you can. I personally ranked Brewer quite a bit higher on raw potential but sometimes raw potential never develops so I can understand what Sickels is saying.

In my opinion if you want to make an argument for players that shouldn't be on the list it's Salome and Jeffress. It's not like either of them figured it out after they were suspended. Jeffress lit up again and Salome never made it to winter ball. There are sacrifices you need to make if your going to be a pro ball player. Raw talent only takes you so far. It sounds like Salome decided to hang around home and spend time with family. Not that this is a bad thing at all but it's pretty obvious by his actions that pro ball is not a priority at this time. If it was he would have played winter ball. If there are two Brewer prospects with huge question marks it's the two of them.

Can't wait to see the final list.

14. Robert Bryson, RHP, Grade C+ (I guess if you had about 20 guys equal and threw darts this might make sense, he just hasn't done enough yet). 16. Brent Brewer, SS, Grade C (tools, tools, tools, he has to be higher than that).

So Brewer has all of the tools (but hasn't really done anything) - so he needs to be rated higher?

And Bryson hasn't really done anything (but has the tools) - so he needs to be rated lower?

I'm just saying... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I actually agreed pretty much with Sickles list. I had Lucroy pretty high as well.

Archived