Brewer Fanatic

jason21nl goes on the DL (pics of a gross foot and ankle)

jason21nl

I've sprained both ankles a total of 5 times and the way you hurt yours Jason is exactly how I hurt mine once, though the first in the series was during my senior year of football. Came down on another foot and heard the *crunch* of a sprained ankle. The stiffness is the worst on the morning after the injury.

That is some real massive swelling, mine have never gotten that big.

Nicely done Jason. I rolled my ankle about a month ago playing Soccer. Ended up straining the tendon that goes across the top of the foot (it was pretty swollen) as well as bruise the arch. It finally doesn't start to throb after I do any effort on it. Had XRays the entire 9 yards thankfully they all came up negative, but it really hurt to walk!

The only other sport related injury I had, was a drunken tailgate where we were waiting for a ride to pick us up and we ended up playing catch with my old set of golf shoes. Well it hit my nose and broke it in 3 places. God I'm an idiot. I don't remember if the Brewers won or not, but I do remember the wife was none-to-pleased with a phone call.

My worse injury (which I have shared on this board) happened on the golf course, when I got my foot tangled in barbed wire, fell and crashed through a hornet's nest -- talk about some wacky swelling -- but I healed quick.

So, do you find yourself doing less searching now for that elusive ball that you sliced into the woods?

Show of hands - How many of you have broken a bone, but the first thing out of your mouth after was: "I'm fine"?

Right here. Broke my finger playing football, shook my hand for a few seconds, said I was fine and kept playing. Then went home and went to bed and woke up the next morning with a finger 2x the size of every other finger and about 5 different colors and that's when I figured I probably did something to it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I broke my toe playing soccer in the house, we used a tennis ball and I didnt have any shoes on and when I went to kick the tennis ball I kicked the ground. Didnt stop bleeding until the next day, I than went into the doctors office and they said it was just a sprain and than they sent it to someother X-Ray place and found out it was broken on the growth plate. It was just the start of the baseball season like 3 games and I was out 3/4 of the season or 6 weeks. It sucked, it didnt even hurt.

Show of hands - How many of you have broken a bone, but the first thing out of your mouth after was: "I'm fine"?

I broke my collarbone when I was about 13 playing soccer - I performed a slide tackle and crushed a guy -- and myself. It was fine at first, but that night I don't know if I've ever been in that much pain. It was a really bad break and other related injuries that I actually ended up having a hard time breathing...then I knew it was time to see the doc. I've heard the collarbone is one of the worst bones to break and from my experience I don't want to mess with some of the leg injuries posted here.

When I was four - during the summer olympics I decided to show my Grandma how they do the high jump. I did this by jumping face first over her counch directly into the corner of her marble coffee table. I missed my eye by about and inch and giave me a nasty little scar just to the side of my left eye.

. . . I didnt get the gold.

Yeah I had a very similar injury to my ankle playing church league basketball. As I tried to jump stop to pass to a guy on the baseline I step right on a guys foot and sprain my ankle bad. I had to crawl to the sidelines because I couldn't even stand up. I was on crutches for 3 weeks and then probably a couple of months before I could run again. The ankle still pops going up and down stairs. Good luck healing up.

I forgot to add that I busted my big toe on my right foot during a soccer game. Me and a guy from the other team were in dead sprints to get to a loose ball and we both went to kick it at the same time and it happened that I was a split second late and all the force of him kicking the ball went into my big toe and I was hopping around like a kangaroo for what seemed like an eternity. That was another one of those ones where you don't think you're hurt too bad but then you realize something is definitely not right.

As a follow-up to my ankle story...

My gym teacher didn't even get me any ice. He said that it would be fine and that I should just go to my next class. I hobbled badly to my next class and after 15 minutes of pain, I called my Mom to have her take me to the doctor. I found it interesting that I was walking on a fractured ankle -- compound I might add.

My gym teacher didn't even get me any ice. He said that it would be fine and that I should just go to my next class. I hobbled badly to my next class and after 15 minutes of pain, I called my Mom to have her take me to the doctor. I found it interesting that I was walking on a fractured ankle -- compound I might add.

My gym teacher in high school was the exact opposite. I scraped my leg up real bad and she saw it and said do you want to go get some ice for that? I looked down and said nah this game is fun I'd rather keep playing and then miss part of my next class if I decide to go. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I decided not to go get ice which in retrospect was probably dumb because I could barely walk on my leg by the end of the day and it had swollen up big time so first thing I did when I got home was put ice on my leg. Pure genius. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Oh to follow up my destorying my knee part. The athletic director at my school at the time showed up while I was trying to get up. He see's it and tells me "it looks like you twisted it a little bit, it might be swollen in the morning." LOL the funny thing was, it was 2 times the size of my other knee already. What an idoit. Didn't go to the hospital til an hour after it happen.
One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

Must be school policy across the nation since I was told by my gym teacher to "walk it off." Best part was it happened a week before wrestling season started so I had to go through the whole season without getting it rested properly.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 1 month later...

I bit most of my tongue off literally, straight through until only a piece of it was left or i'd have had to pick it off the floor.

Then when it was sewed back on, they couldn't freeze it for some reason that i forget and they had to strap me down so i wouldn't thrash while it was being sewed back to one piece.

That wasn't a pleasant experience

so question, its been over a month now, and the thing still kills me. It still swells up over 3 times the normal size. Should I go back to the dr to check it out or is this normal?

Head back to the doctor and check to see if you broke a bone or tore a ligament. If it comes back that you didn't then just get a brace for your ankle and elevate it over your heart whenever you can.

so question, its been over a month now, and the thing still kills me. It still swells up over 3 times the normal size. Should I go back to the dr to check it out or is this normal?

The swelling should not last much more than a week. Something else is wrong and it should be checked out.

I have had many ankle sprains like yours Jason. The first time I sprained my ankle was my sophomore year in high school. I was a wide receiver...jumped to catch the ball and came down on someone's foot. I can still hear that crunchy, crinkling sound in my head. I thought I was going to die. I was out for a good 6 weeks I'd say.

Between my sophomore and senior years in high school I sprained my left ankle 6 times. I rolled it just walking on the sidewalk to go to school. The last time/the clincher was when I rolled it in Phy Ed while we were playing basketball. Nevermind that I was on the basketball team. I immediately told the coach and needless to say he wasn't happy. I was done for the year. That sprain was so bad I had a bone bruise on my fibula for 8 months. They say you're better off breaking it. I ended up having surgery to tighten the ligaments. I went 8 years without spraining it until about a year ago when I sprained it again. It still hurts from time to time. My left ankle is twice the size of my right (which I have never sprained).

Follow me on Twitter

I've hurt myself a few times in my day as well...have done the sprained ankle routine before...played volleyball in high school, went up for a hit, came down on a teammates foot and I couldn't jump for the rest of the season (luckily only 2 weeks plus but I missed the playoffs...that sucked). I still have issues with that ankle quite a bit...probably didn't give it the proper rest I should have, and I roll it fairly frequently. Other notable injuries...got poked in my left eye playing bball when I was in high school and the guy managed to break every blood vessel in it....don't remember the exact name but the eye doctor said it was "extremely serious eye trauma"...had to miss school for a week plus laying in complete darkness, and had to wear a patch for nearly a month. Couldn't see anything (just lightness and darkness, no contrasts) out of it for nearly two weeks...took special eye drops every day for a month plus, and somehow it corrected itself...very surprised it didn't result in blindness. My latest injury took place this past weekend...was at a house party and I'm not sure how many people are familiar with this but I was doing a "kegstand" and the guys holding up my legs somehow dropped me, and I crashed into the tap on the keg....taps are surprisingly jagged and I ended up with a 3 inch long gash directly above my left eye, bleeding like a stuck pig. I was inebriated enough to the point that I didnt even feel it when it happened, but just saw the blood pouring out....should have done the obvious choice and went and got stitches immediately but shook it off, decided that 230 AM was far too late to go, stopped the bleeding temporarily, bandaged it up tight, and kept on rocking...needless to say when I woke Sunday morning, I found the gash to be between my eyebrow and my left eye...another fraction of an inch and I would have lost an eye...scary stuff. I now have a huge cut above my left eye, the entire area is still swollen and bruised, and I'll probably have a scar there the rest of my life...just a stupid drunken mistake, and I still never found out who the guys were that dropped me. Sorry for the long winded story, but the moral of the story is to just be careful.

just a stupid drunken mistake, and I still never found out who the guys were that dropped me. Sorry for the long winded story, but the moral of the story is to just be careful.

Those guys have earned some serious negative points. Karma will find them for you - she always does. That sucks, man. If you can't trust the guys holding your legs for a keg-stand... who can you trust?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

wow. i've really had nothing compared to you guys. split my head open (not the bone) on a blowdown once while hiking and could feel the deep gash. bled like crazy as I had to walk the two miles to get to a road. the only building there turned out to be a rehab clinic, who said it was against policy to give rides, so they called an ambulance, which i felt was a bit much. the med student in the truck was one of the most beautiful women i've ever seen, and her alone made me feel better.

doctor didn't clean my head or nothing, just left all the dried blood, dirt and oils in there (I hadn't showered in probably a week). got five staples put in. a week later, i couldn't really afford the emergency room costs to pull the suckers out, so a hostel owner pulled each one out (they were "C" shaped) slowly with a letter opener. i'd say the experience hurt like crazy, but then after reading that tongue story, it probably didn't hurt that much after all.

it was also the third time in my life i'd gotten myself a gash in my head and each one connects to the other to make a Z.

Archived