Brewer Fanatic

Seattle looking for pitching

fleehaw

According to mlbtraderumors.com, the Mariners are looking for 1-2 SPs after losing out on Kuroda and have apparently set their sights on Joe Blanton. There's speculation that Beane would insist upon OF Adam Jones being part of the deal.

The Mariners have a few young players that would look mighty good in a Brewers uniform (Jones & Clement). The teams appear to match up decently with the Brewers having a surplus of starters and some good looking prospects that could be included in a deal.

Or what about Beltre? IIRC, he plays a mean 3B and getting him out of Safeco should help him offensively.

What kind of deals would be worthwhile for the Brewers?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just about to post something similar fleehaw, and I think that the Mariners may be a decent match for us. Beyond the obvious Clement match, I think that Jeremy Reed may also be interesting for Doug. I would think Capuano, Bush, and perhaps even Turnbow would be of interest to the M's....I would love to have Edgar Diaz' take on this one, if he is still perusing the boards this offseason.

Beltre's an interesting target...he's not an obp guy...but he's better than Crede and Inge...

of course, they are paying him about the same as Rolen, so we'd need some cash back..

but, he's young (amazingly just 28) so there's no reason to think he won't be consistantly pretty good until the deal runs out...im not sure when but i feel like he's got at least three years left...

of course, he's a righty...but his platoon split is fine...he can play everyday...and he has hit for more power outside of seattle...

really, it'd be like adding another Bill hall to the lineup...both guys have 40 homer potential...and both guys occasionally only hit 15...neither guy walks...but one costs 13 million and one costs 3...

i'll take him...and i like him more than Crede, Inge, and Rolen...but the price for improvement would be really hinged on his defense...because he's an offensive wash with Menchkins...

Reed is somewhat interesting in that he may have finally put it together at AAA last year.

Another guy that may be able to be acquired on the cheap(er) is Mike Morse. He seems to be able to play a few position with 3b being one of them. Anyone have any insight on how good he is defensively?

Reed put up an .800 OPS in the PCL, which is know as hitter-friendly. If you're looking for a CF to offer a .750-ish OPS with good D (that's if Reed is a good defener - I don't know either way), he'd be a good target. My preference would be sticking with Bill in CF. But Reed would make a solid backup OF, making someone like TGJ available.

I'd give up quite a bit of pitching to bring Beltre to Milwaukee. As a younger hitter, he actually drew more BBs than he has the past 3 seasons. I wonder if that's something with which Skaalen could help him.

he's young (amazingly just 28)

I always wonder about the Latin-born players. He certainly could be anywhere up to 32 if we're not sure.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think any collection of #4-5-type starters will net a return of the Mariners' top prospects, but some of the Brewers' collection of such guys would probably benefit from pitching at Safeco half their games. I saw the same posting on mlbtraderumors and it triggered similar thoughts for me.

I don't know who would be realistic to target in return, we may have found a realistic dance partner as long as they're willing to give up at least a bit of value and we're not asking for the moon twice over for live arms but spare parts.

I think Sheets would be the SP they would want, not some #3/4 guys.

Al, I think anyone would want Sheets but Seattle would have to give up some of their top prospects in return.

From a practicality standpoint, they make make a good trading partner if both teams don't have unrealistic expectations or views of the their own guys.

Maybe we could net a #6-15 prospect or two if they're lower down in the minors for a couple of the #4/5 starters we have available to deal.

What about Jose Vidro? He hasn't played 3B since 1999, but he could theoretically slide over there and potential give a .360-.380 OBP as a switch hitter. His defense really isn't that bad despite him being DHed last season, and was about average at 3B back in the 90's, FWIW.

1 year / $8.5M ($2.5M paid by Washington) on his contract, though he has a limited no-trade clause.

I'd love to get Beltre. He doesn't get on base as much as we'd like but he has nice power and a really nice glove. Could it be done for Capuano + or would it take Sheets? There are some interesting options as far as prospects to add from both sides for a Sheets/Beltre swap.

What would it take to get Beltre and Clement? I'd add a few top prospects if the pitcher is Capuano instead of Sheets. The line-up would be locked in for a few years so we'd have time to re-build the farm. I'd be giddy if we got a very good defensive 3B and a back-up lefty hitting catcher/catcher of the future.

What would it take to get Beltre and Clement? I'd add a few top prospects if the pitcher is Capuano instead of Sheets.
Do we have anymore top prospects? Cappy/Villy/Gamel for Clement and Beltre. If we were to give up such a package, I would hope for some relief from the Mariners.

One reason he's been pretty average is the difference in his home/road splits. .799 OPS away from Safeco since joining the M's. .800 OPS 3rd sackers who play as good of defense as Beltre are hard to find. That low OBP bugs me so much, I'd feel like we'd have Estrada again. I'm asking myself if durability is important enough to outshine Rolen's better OBP.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Sheets would be the SP they would want, not some #3/4 guys.

Maybe so and maybe not

Last year their back end of the rotation was terrible. Weaver posted a 6.20 ERA and Ramirez a 7.16 ERA. I'm sure in an ideal world they would prefer a No.1 or 2 type of starter, but finding a guy who can be a quality 3/4 pitcher certainly would help their rotation because right now at least, they have garbage after their first three guys.

I always wonder about the Latin-born players. He certainly could be anywhere up to 32 if we're not sure.

Maybe Im wrong on this one but didnt the Dodgers get in trouble with him because post 9-11 checks showed him to be a year younger than what he actually was which mean they signed him at 15 or 14.

Actually... the Dodgers got in trouble for making Beltre older than he really was in order to sign him.

I don't know how sold I am just yet on Beltre. Was he just a one year wonder in his contract year in LA...?

I actually thought Beltre would be on the Mitchell Report. His huge year rivals Brady Anderson's for biggest outlier. But Beltre always had the potential, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him produce like that again. And let's also remember that the former Brewer, Richie Sexson, also has done nothing at Safeco, so it isn't as if Beltre is alone in his slump.

I thought we might see Sexson in the Report. Beltre is a little too hit or miss for me. I would rather pay half as much for a guy who can hit a little, walk a little, and field a little, rather than a guy who might be a monster or might just be a huge paycheck on the bench

Looking at Beltre's regular and translated statistics he's actually been fairly solid as a third basemen with consistently good defense. Basically outside of park effects he's been a .500 SLG the last two years and an OBP over .330, so he's no Estrada in that regard.

Archived