Brewer Fanatic

Matt Cain

Hey just wondering what everyones opinion of Matt Cain would be. Not sure if he would even be available but the Giants do seem to be looking at rebuilding and maybe some kind of Haren package(not as good) might be able to free up Cain. Cain isn't a Haren or Bedard type, but he could be big upgrade to our rotation.

Hart or Braun is what it would take.
I don't think that is fair.

Cain is a very good pitcher - but I am not sure he would have more value that Haren. And Haren didn't fetch a player of Braun or Hart's status.

If the Giants are looking to rebuild, instead of just adding position players - we might have enough if we are willing to empty out the farm system. I would think Parra, LaPorta, Gamel, and Jeffress might be enough to get it done.

That said - not going to happen.

I don't think that is fair.

Cain is a very good pitcher - but I am not sure he would have more value that Haren. And Haren didn't fetch a player of Braun or Hart's status.

If the Giants are looking to rebuild, instead of just adding position players - we might have enough if we are willing to empty out the farm system. I would think Parra, LaPorta, Gamel, and Jeffress might be enough to get it done.

That said - not going to happen.

They had a deal on the table that would've sent Lincecum to Toronto for Rios. Cain is better so it would take Hart or Braun.

They had a deal on the table that would've sent Lincecum to Toronto for Rios.
I should have made my self clearer. I think you might be right, in that Cain for Braun or Hart would be their required asking price. But my point is that it assumes a one on one trade. The Brewers would never do that trade. (Melvin has stated many times he isn't willing to part with his young position players)

That is why I said, if they were looking to rebuild...we could put together a package of our minor league players for him that would be enticing. The problem is, that Giants don't think they need to rebuild.

Hart = LaPorta, Parra, Gamel & Jeffress.

Carlos Gonzalez is one heck of a prospect. His status as a prospect is almost identical to where Ryan Braun was at this point last year, and much better than where Corey Hart was 2-3 years ago. Plus, Cain has a ton more value than Haren in that he isn't currently making big money nor does he project to over the next 2-3 years.

Cain for the Giants is about the same as Gallardo for the Brewers. When you try to imagine what you would give up Gallardo for, if anything, try to imagine in the same light what the Giants would want for Cain.

Even though they are rebuilding they are the Giants. They don't trade for prospects. They would still consider Hart a prospect.

The Giants consider anyone under 35 a prospect.

In all honesty, I don't think it'd be worth what it'd probably take to acquire Cain.

OK lets say that it would take Hart to get Cain. Would it be worth it to trade a young promising OF for a 23yr old somewhat proven SP? I think it would have to be something to consider. Maybe something along the lines of a Hart, Capuano/Bush/Vargus for Cain and Winn. Prospects and/or money would have to be involved to even out the trade. Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Carlos Gonzalez is one heck of a prospect. His status as a prospect is almost identical to where Ryan Braun was at this point last year, and much better than where Corey Hart was 2-3 years ago. Plus, Cain has a ton more value than Haren in that he isn't currently making big money nor does he project to over the next 2-3 years.
A few points...

1. Ryan Braun is worth way more now that he was a year ago. No one honestly projected a 1.000+ OPS.

2. Was Corey Hart even considered a prospect 2 years ago? He was always under the radar.

3. You are correct in that Cain isn't making big money. But Haren has had more success in a tougher league. (And is still signed to a reasonable contract)

For my money, Haren is more valuable.

(If, during a 100 loss season, the Brewers had a player of Yovanni's caliber, but still needed to rebuild the entire team - I think trading Yovanni for LaPorta, Parra, Gamel & Jeffress would be a fantastic trade)

Hart or Braun is what it would take.

then the answer is no...

SP is not our biggest need, trading away a position player of their value for a position we can do without would be stupid.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived