Brewer Fanatic

farm system ranking?

BREWCREW5

I believe we're in the 5-7 range, with great depth and a few true impact prospects like Yo/Braun/Inman...perhaps Rogers and Jeffress, though further away. Nevertheless, considering the graduations of Hart, Weeks, Hardy, and Prince, I am definitely impressed with our sustained success.

I really don't know but I am not as optimistic as UWRyan. I think the Brewers have a very nice farm system, but without giong out and doing some serious research I would say they are closer to the 8-13 range. They have the nice trio of B+/A prospects Gallardo/Braun/Inmann. They have a nice selection of players with tools/upside to be very very good prospects Fermaint, Salome, Dillard, Gillsepe, Cain, Irrebean, Gamel, Brewer. But the real plus appears to bbe the depth of the minors. There apears to be guite a few players at every level that appear to have quite a few players on every level who will/should have careers in the major leagues.

I just think few teams boast the pitching prospects we have. The Mets have some premium talent but it falls off fast after Humber and Pelfrey. The Yanks have Hughes, and then a lot of hopes. The Brews, I would argue, are a good mix between the two, with high ceiling hopefuls (Rogers, Jeffress, Pascual) mixed in with premium names like Inman, Yo, ZachJack, CV the Younger... And honestly, I am quite high on the Grand Salome, and think he is a top three catching prospect in the minors.

The Brewers farm system will continue to rank high this offseason for a couple of reasons.

One, they have two impact prospects at the very top in Gallardo and Braun. Few organizations have two prospects like that, much less one.

Two, the depth from top to bottom is impressive. You can go 20 prospects deep with the Brewers system, as shown in Brewerfan.net's top prospect fan poll, and legitimately find some reason for excitment with each one of those players.

Three, the Brewers continue to cultivate this talent after they have already graduated a lot of the talent that garnered high rankings in previous years. Fielder, Weeks, Hall, Hardy and Hart are the most notable of these prospects, as next year six out of the eight everyday players in the starting lineup could be homegrown.

On that subject, do you remember just a year or two ago when there was some conversation with concern about the Brewers farm system and how it would look after guys like Fielder, Hart, Weeks, etc. did graduate to the big-league level? We probably will be talking about the same thing next year and the year after that when Braun and Gallardo graduate from the list. By then hopefully guys like Inman, Cain, Salome, etc. continue to progress in the upper levels of the system and be considered in the same light that Braun and Gallardo currently are.

They're top 5-7 for sure. And with the continued emphasis in drafting and player development, there is no reason to think that they will slip from the top 10 anytime soon.

I believe that argument has been going on all offseason. Unfortunately, the Brewers don't have the hype machine that the Yanks have. But the fact that Yo was a 2nd rounder and Hughes and Bailey were firsts would tend to drop Yo outside of the discussion with most analysts, which tends to rub me the wrong way. The one exception would be Nick Adenhart, though I would argue the former twelfth round pick would have been picked in front of Homer had he not had his arm problems (Adenhart would look so good in Brewer pinstripes!).

Salome is the epitome of a hard working, focused ball player. Lou Palmisano and Angel Salome have very little in common. I think Angel could make the majors on will power alone, nevermind talent, which he has in boatloads.

Quote:
I think Angel could make the majors on will power alone

That just made me think of a battery of Will and Angel on the Power... I dunno. Nevertheless, on off days, the 5'7" sparkplug "doubles" (or homers) as a DH. Thus, for all intents and purposes, he pulls double duties on equal ends of the fielding spectrum. Just one of the many reasons why, with the near graduation of Braun, that we are still very well stocked in the future. Gracias, Jack!

As a side note, I was perusing some websites and found it very interesting that again, there seems to be a bit of ignorance about the future of the Grand Salome.

Brew Crew Catcher Bias

I find it a bit confusing that they name Matt Wieters, a player who has yet to be drafted, and no Salome. Is it his defense? Is it his stature? I would put Angel up against at least half of these young guns. Then again, I have been guzzling the Kool Aid (and that's not a reference to inebriation).

Archived