Brewer Fanatic

Gary Bennett admits to HGH usage

link

"As far as the report is concerned to me, it's accurate," Bennett said in a telephone interview.

The report said that while with the Rockies in 2003, he was battling a knee injury that kept him on the disabled list and affected his performance. A teammate, pitcher Denny Neagle, directed Bennett to Kirk Radomski, a clubhouse attendant with the New York Mets. The report contained a check for $3,200 from Bennett to Radomski that Radomski said was for two kits of HGH.

"Obviously, it was a stupid decision," Bennett said. "It was a mistake. It was something that quite obviously, you regret now. And beyond that, I just don't know."

Wow. I'm pretty shocked that a player stepped forward on this one. This one's a pretty big slap in the face to Scott Boras, who claimed Radmoski was lying about players simply to get a deal cut.

I agree Brian. This is what I am talking about. Admit your mistakes and your life will be easier. I have a lot more respect for Bennett because of this. He knew he could have went through legal means to help his injury. Admission from the players is probably the one way to help change tis culture. Boras is a joke and so is the attorney for Clemens who is speaking along the same lines. Gammons too, who called Radomski "sewer rat". Good on you Peter.

This is a pretty big deal, because it not only shows that an accusation that Radomski had made with 'uncorroborated evidence' actually WAS true, and suggests that others may be as well. It also pretty much screws Denny Neagle.

But good for Bennett to be a man and own up to what he did.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but HGH is not illegal, right? And it wasn't banned by baseball until 2004 or 2005? I understand you probably have to have a prescription to get HGH, but I'm sure a guy recovering from an injury is going to be able to get a doctor to write that prescription.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but HGH is not illegal, right? And it wasn't banned by baseball until 2004 or 2005? I understand you probably have to have a prescription to get HGH, but I'm sure a guy recovering from an injury is going to be able to get a doctor to write that prescription.

He sent a check to Radomski to get it. If he could have legally obtained a prescription from a doctor, I don't see why he wouldn't have gone that route.

The drug itself is not illegal, nor are any type of steroids. And no, it wasn't banned by baseball until 2005 (a year after he took it). The problem is that he obtained it illegally.

Well, it's not like Gary Bennett has any reputation to protect like the other guys do.

I mean, when you ain't got nuthin', you got nuthin' to lose.

Giambi's really the OG when it comes to admitting guilt, because unlike Bennett, et al, he actually participated in the investigation and sat down with Mitchell. If Bennett was the big man, he would have actually accepted Mitchell's offer to explain his side of the story (Mitchell said he gave every single player in the report the opportunity to do so).

He still hasn't admitted to backing up Chad Moeller for a year.

Frankly, I think he did it because he IS Gary Bennett. In a week, nobody is going to remember this comment. There is no global marketing brand of Gary Bennett, and if somebody can send me a picture of them in their Gary Bennett jersey (unless you ARE Gary Bennett) I will print out this page and eat it. He had nothing to lose by making this statement, which makes it easy to say.

I heard George Mitchell yesterday mention that at least one player who did take him up on his offer to talk to him made such a good case for himself, that Mitchell left his name off the report. So for players complaining about how unfair this report is, which to a certain extent is true, they did have the chance to make their case and most decided to pass on the chance.

Wow. I'm pretty shocked that a player stepped forward on this one. This one's a pretty big slap in the face to Scott Boras, who claimed Radmoski was lying about players simply to get a deal cut.

Screw Boras. He needs PEDs as much/more than the players do. I'm surprised in a very good way. Even though you're a tad late in confessing to merit a parade, Gary, well done. Occum's Razor theory here.

He still hasn't admitted to backing up Chad Moeller for a year.

Hi-yooooo!

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/01/pics/01nbloder2.jpg

Seriously, that was nice.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree Brian. This is what I am talking about. Admit your mistakes and your life will be easier. I have a lot more respect for Bennett because of this. He knew he could have went through legal means to help his injury. Admission from the players is probably the one way to help change tis culture. Boras is a joke and so is the attorney for Clemens who is speaking along the same lines. Gammons too, who called Radomski "sewer rat". Good on you Peter.

I just don't get why most of these players aren't honest about their PED usage. It's not like the fans of baseball buy their denials anyways, if anything, the lying just makes the fans like them even less. I think most of the guys named and past guys like Mark McGwire would be more respected and forgiven if they simply came clean about what they did.

While not a perfect analogy, it's like when my kid does something wrong. I always tell her if i think she did something wrong, you better be honest with me and come clean because if i find you're lying to my face, you'll be much deeper in my doghouse than if you just tell me the truth.

'It was syringe-injected vitamin B12 (not the pills any idiot can find in the grocery store)... I didn't realize it was a steroid... No one ever told me it was a steroid... I thought it was an athritis cream... It tasted like flaxseed oil...'

No, it wasn't... Yes you did... Yes they did, and if they didn't, they didn't need to... No you didn't... No, it really, really didn't.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

see, it's almost given the state of things.. by Bennett admitting it, no harm, no foul. You are O.K. in my book, Gary.. I mean, other than the fact you were never really that great of a ballplayer.

So it seems pretty clear to me, now, that steroids actually have an inverse effect on performance. I mean, they actually make you worse. It has to be true, because guys like Bennett, Alex Sanchez, Jason Grimsley and F.P. Santangelo have been caught and/or admitted to using, but guys like Clemens and Bonds deny it. So taking everyone at their word, steroids should be avoided because they make you be a AAAA type talent.

I believe that HGH is really in a different class than anabolic steroids in the amount that it can help you. Couple that with the lack of a test for HGH, and it's much less of a big deal.

Does this raise or lower the value of my Gary Bennett autographed baseball?

Archived