Brewer Fanatic

Jose Valverde to HOU, Chris Burke, Chad Qualls and RHP Juan Gutierrez to ARI

It's kind of funny that the Astros think they can contend next year.

I like Qualls in an unspectacular but solid sort of way. I really like what AZ has done the last couple of days.

I'm glad Valverde didn't end up on the Cubs or Reds -- If the Astros are able to add to their rotation, getting Tejeda and Valverde makes a lot more sense.

The following quote is from the Houston owner. He is either delusional, and simply knows zilch about the sport he is involved in....McLane and Ed Wade are a match made in heaven. Sorry Mr. Phenominal Smith - welcome to 1995-2003 Milwaukee Brewers- type baseball for your next Astros decade.

"I was certainly disappointed," McLane said of Tejada. "We certainly did not (anticipate it). In my 15 years of baseball, I've never seen anything that no one had any idea of anything that was there.''

It's kind of funny that the Astros think they can contend next year.

I like Qualls in an unspectacular but solid sort of way. I really like what AZ has done the last couple of days.

I'm glad Valverde didn't end up on the Cubs or Reds -- If the Astros are able to add to their rotation, getting Tejeda and Valverde makes a lot more sense.

Agreed. I keep waiting for something to happen, like they trade for a solid # 2 or 3. If they can add one or two more SPs, they could be in pretty decent shape.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Agreed. I keep waiting for something to happen, like they trade for a solid # 2 or 3. If they can add one or two more SPs, they could be in pretty decent shape.

But they can't. They have nobody left to trade unless it's somebody on the team right now and the free agent pitching market is thin to say the least so this is basically their team.

I'd look for the Astros to sign two FA starters. My guess is Lohse and Colon. McClain is the most aggressive owner in the NL and last year didn't sit well for the man who sits right behind home plate. By the way I also heard that Clemens might want to come back for another year to counter the dive his image took.

They will be a factor. Count on it. Their ace makes every start while our's doesn't. That concerns me every year.

They will be a factor. Count on it. Their ace makes every start while our's doesn't. That concerns me every year.

Well, Oswalt made 32 starts in 2007, and they went 73-89. Not sure how accurate your concern is. One SP's total number of starts has a miniscule impact on a team's overall record. Even on-top-of-his-game Oswalt can't make up for their poor overall lineup and pitching staff.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think it's funny the Astros continue to trade away players of all positions as if they were deep.

The middle of that order is awfully good but there's no bench and no pitching.

I really don't think Valverde is all that much better than Qualls anyway.

Archived