Brewer Fanatic

BAL claims Greg Aquino off waivers from MIL - Latest: Corresponding move NOT imminent

dpapo

You mean because his control is so poor he would likely hit a batter?

Methinks somebody has forgotten what a good fielder Aquino is...

Which reminds me of this pitcher for the Angels a long time ago, maybe Jack Something...pretty sure he basically won a game against the Brewers with his glove during the mid 80s.

I'm just glad that they haven't felt compelled to keep either Estrada or Aquino in order to justify the Doug Davis deal with Arizona. Aquino could do something of value yet, but he's neither young nor accomplished so I am not surprised that the Brewers decided they could live without him.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh - thanks for reminding me that we basically got Vargas for DD. He drove me crazy, but not as much as Vargas.

They had the same year last year except for Vargas getting a minor injury and Davis having better defense and bullpen.

Clarification:

Was Aquino out of options, and that's why he needed to be waived? (But technically there is no 25-man roster right now, so that can't really be it, right?)

Or did we just want that 40-man spot opened up, so we tried to sneak him down? If so, why sign him first? Wouldn't he make a minor leaguers salary if he had cleared and not signed a contract?

Vargas xFIP 4.89

Davis xFIP 4.72

Davis did pitch a bit better but not as much as just FIP will show.

Vargas FIP 5.08 134.1 IP

Davis FIP 4.68 192.2 IP

yeah, whatever

http://www.eminem.net/8mile/images/eminem_8_mile_battle.jpgStat Battle!!

Sorry nothing relevant to add besides that

Vargas FIP 5.08 134.1 IP

Davis FIP 4.68 192.2 IP

yeah, whatever

The difference is basically in IP. Vargas got a minor injury and other than that they both had mediocre K's and way too many BB's. Davis just got saved some by his fielding and RP. xFIP paints a closer picture and xERA which is better than either stat shows Davis at a 4.62 after a 4.61 the yaer before and Vargas at a 4.77 after a 4.46 the year before. These two guys are basically the same pitcher.

Vargas FIP 5.08 134.1 IP

Davis FIP 4.68 192.2 IP

yeah, whatever

The difference is basically in IP. Vargas got a minor injury and other than that they both had mediocre K's and way too many BB's. Davis just got saved some by his fielding and RP. xFIP paints a closer picture and xERA which is better than either stat shows Davis at a 4.62 after a 4.61 the yaer before and Vargas at a 4.77 after a 4.46 the year before. These two guys are basically the same pitcher.

Only if you ignore the fact that Vargas has never given 200 IP and the fact his home run rate is 50% higher than Davis' depsite Davis playing in Arizona this year. Davis alaos has had great years, Vargas great year was 2006 where he broke the 5 ERA barrier.

Ennder, what site do you get xERA numbers from?
Baseball HQ or Baseball Forecaster book.

Only if you ignore the fact that Vargas has never given 200 IP and the fact his home run rate is 50% higher than Davis' depsite Davis playing in Arizona this year. Davis alaos has had great years, Vargas great year was 2006 where he broke the 5 ERA barrier.

True, Davis was decent in 04 (and lucky) and good in 05. You also have to take into account that he makes more money and is 3 years older. I dont' come away from that trade thinking boy if we only had Davis things would have been different. Davis isn't really any better than any starter we had last year and would have been hit by our bullpen and defense just as much as any of them. The one thing I would miss with him is he can go a little deeper into games than Vargas.

I'm 95% sure Aquino was out of options.

But there isn't even a 25-man roster right now. I'm very confused, if someone could spell it out? Including why we sign him before we try to waive him?

Sam, Aquino was out of options. The Brewers signed him to a split contract on Wednesday (since he was arby eligible and the Brewers were trying to keep him for AAA and depth purposes, which is why he was not non-tendered) and were then trying to get him off the 40-man roster, essentially to outright him to AAA. He had to clear waivers to be outrighted. But he was claimed off waivers by Baltimore. Plot foiled. Good-bye, Greg Aquino.

So this move had nothing to do with optioning him or the 25-man roster. Optioning ties directly into the 25-man roster. Since there's no 25-man roster at this time of year, only the 40-man, this was not optioning. It was outrighting him off the 40-man to AAA. Still would've been property of the Brewers organization, but as a minor-leaguer and much less expensive who then could've become a 6-yr. minor league free agent at the end of the '08 season if he ended the year in AAA and wasn't later added to the 40-man roster.

Sorry for any redundancy in that explanation. You asked for it to be spelled out and I think I've covered all angles of the deal.

Archived