Brewer Fanatic

BAL claims Greg Aquino off waivers from MIL - Latest: Corresponding move NOT imminent

dpapo
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would seem as though a correpsonding move would be coming. From Adam McCalvy:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071214&content_id=2326365&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

The move leaves 39 players on Milwaukee's 40-man roster and leaves the team positioned to add a player via a trade or free agency in the wake of Wednesday's non-tender deadline. Melvin said it's not uncommon for teams to place recently-signed players on waivers, pointing out that 10 of the players nontendered this week already have deals for 2007 including one other Brewer, outfielder Laynce Nix.

But didn't Nix sign after he was non-tendered or released or whatever his official designation was? It doesn't make sense to sign a player and THEN try to sneak him through waivers.

But a trade doesn't make much sense either, unless you know what it's going to be and there is an odd number of players involved and/or the Brewers are trading prospects that don't need to be on the trading partner's 40-man roster. I think a move to pick up a free agent, possibly one recently non-tendered, is more likely. But if the team is talking about players like Rolen and even Tejada, Ensberg and McPherson would be a big step down from those types of players.

I agree in that I think something else is up, but even then, most of these moves typically are made after some other move is made. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

And I don't see the point in signing Vizcaino.

It's hardly anything new, but I'm confused re: who's coming and who's going.

Yeah, RU, apparently that's part of the fun of the hot stove league. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

For a few minutes there (until I read farther into the thread) I was fantasizing about the battle for uniform #51. Vizcaino or Shouse? But alas, it seems to be moot.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Tom H. has a new post on the subject debunking the rumor. They were just hoping Aquino would clear waivers and remain with the organization. Oh well, livened up my friday.

Long story short: the Brewers just turned a player that many on the boards wanted non-tendered into $20,000 cash (less any signing bonus....which would probably have been less than that).

Colby, the one major difference that I can see is that the team never loses control of the player like they could through non-tender. Additionally, it's possible that the Brewers saw the major league portion of the split contract as a poison pill; the Brewers don't expect him to be on the ML team most of the year....but a team putting a waiver claim in on him might shy away from doing so, as less of a 'bargain' than he would have been on the open market.

The Brewers were probably hoping to squeeze Aquino through waivers so he could start in AAA and battle for a possible bullpen spot in the spring, and at least be insurance in case of injury or lack of effectiveness. With Aquino's 2007 Milwaukee performance, it's not the worst thing to see him get picked up by an AL East team.

It does free up a roster spot on the 40 man for any possible 1-for-2 or 2-for-3 trade scenarios, or for the Brewers to pick up someone from the non-tendered list.

i thought Aquini had a power arm that would have done well ,The Biggest thing is that he is still relatively Young

so i don:t know why they made this move.

They tried to sneak him through waivers, but it didn't work out. This is probably because they plan on picking up someone in the near future who is more valuable to the club than anyone else on the 40-man.

i thought Aquini had a power arm that would have done well ,The Biggest thing is that he is still relatively Young

so i don:t know why they made this move.

I guess it depends on what relatively young is -- he'll be 30 in January. If he was 23 or 24, I'd disagree with the move, but he's not.

Gentlemen, your opening day 3rd baseman is: Craig Counsell.

On day 2 vs. lefty it will be: Joe Dillon

How does that sound? It happened last year except with Graffanino replaced by Dillon.

Ugh. Why was Hall ever moved to the OF in the first place?

Today is December 14th.

Patience.

Colby, the one major difference that I can see is that the team never loses control of the player like they could through non-tender. Additionally, it's possible that the Brewers saw the major league portion of the split contract as a poison pill; the Brewers don't expect him to be on the ML team most of the year....but a team putting a waiver claim in on him might shy away from doing so, as less of a 'bargain' than he would have been on the open market.

That's a good point. And I'm sure the Brewers felt as though there was a chance that they could sneak Aquino past waivers, since at this time many teams have rosters that are already filled up.

How does that sound? It happened last year except with Graffanino replaced by Dillon.

I think that's a stretch. A few weeks ago both Melvin and Ash noted that the team didn't have any major plans to improve the bullpen and more specifically the closer. All of the sudden, Eric Gagne is in the fold and that discussion seems like a distant memory. I'm sure the team has some 3B options out there and is likely being patient knowing they have some nice pitching depth to trade from. I too would have liked to have seen something done by now, but there is still plenty of time before I take a "the sky is falling" approach to the LF/3B situation.

And if the Brewers were indeed pursuing Tejada (and Rolen), coupled with the signings they have made this offseason, it would seem as though money isn't much of an object this year.

I'll give you that, and that is probably my biggest problem with Melvin ever since he has been the GM. The whole LF/3B situation should have been figured out at this time last year with Hall moving to third and Braun moving to LF, which seemed to be the most logical thing to me and a lot of other people around here. Just imagine how many fewer words would have been typed around here not having to argue for or against Braun as the team's 3B of the future given his defensive struggles at the hot corner http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

High velocity guys rarely squeeze through waivers, no matter when. Good luck to Greg, I really like to see BAL tearing it down, even if it is half a score late. It'll be interesting to see what the O's get out of their bullpen, as they are just accumulating hard throwers and "seeing what sticks". They may well be better than the Crew, and they'll certainly be loads cheaper.

Today is December 14th.

Patience.

No kidding. The same people who were flipping out about having Turnbow at closer (and actually believed Melvin when he said it) are now calling Counsell at third base. Man.

The Brewers didn't think Hart's glove would play in CF and their scouts still thought Braun could become servicable at 3B. Whether that ultimately proves true or not I dunno but I understand the move at least. For what its worth some big names in baseball still think Braun can become decent at 3B. I think it was Will Carrol that posted about Braun having enough of the tools just a few weeks back.

The same people who were flipping out about having Turnbow at closer (and actually believed Melvin when he said it) are now calling Counsell at third base. Man.

I said when they signed Gagne that I was just gonna wait and see how this all shook out. DM is clearly not done yet and may not be done until around St Patricks Day. So let's just wait and see what happens before naming Turnbow the closer and Counsell the 3B. were still more than 3 months shy of Opening Day.

anyone else read the Vizcaino jsonline blog. Haurdicourt called out a reader for leaving a comment asking him about the rotoworld story. Then there was shouting matches between the 2 on whether or not rotoworld is a reputable source, with other readers taking the prince of darknesses side. I think its legit to ask the brewers beat writer if he knows anything about a published report. Tom needs to learn how to play nice with his readers.

Yes, I read that in Tom's blog too. The correct thing to do at this point, is to point out the source from NY who got the story wrong and posted it as fact. I got an email from a friend of mine in Chicago congratulating me on the move, and asking me if the Brewers were building a staff for 12-inning games this year. People all over saw that story on rotoworld, and it was not reported as rumor, it was very clear that the Brewers had signed Vizcaino for 2 years - 7 million.

On a cell phone, 'signing with the rockies' sounds like 'signing with milwaukee.' When you're in New Yawk, it's all flyover country anyway.

Good thinkin' SoCal. Hadn't thought of that. Holy cow, as I repeat that to myself, I'd be willing to bet that's what happened. Good luck to Greg, but I feel bad for him having to go to the AL East. Yikes.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived