Brewer Fanatic

Home Networking

ryne100
My roomates and I currently have 8 computers running on our router. All are on the same workgroup, or at least we think so. 1 computer cannot view or access shared folders on the others. Sharing is enabled and all are on the same workgroup. All are XP, except the one with troubles is XP Media center. Anyone have any ideas to get it working?

My how times have changed. In my first off campus house I had 8 roommates. Running some wires into the basement to hook up some speakers was considered a great accomplishment.

Having a kegerator and home built bar was the height of technology when my friends were in college.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The easy but costly ($50) way is to get network magic.

The cheap but hard way is to double check to make sure all your permissions are set correctly. Also make sure you're logged in with admin permissions on all computers.

Are the other computers being recognized? Can you print from the MCE?

From Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/faq.mspx

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?

While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived