Brewer Fanatic

Best of 2007: The Movies

EdgarDiazRocks
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think a lot of movies on the lists were shown in limited release in smaller movie houses (especially the foreign films) which are not the normal cineplexes most people go to.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

But they weren't. Just glancing through all the movies listed in the thread, the vast majority have been released wide. Even some that weren't made splashes at mid- and sub-run movie theaters, which I would also call "normal." When I think abnormal movie theater, I'm think like IMAX or a booth at an adult video store.

I'd agree though with the proposition that the biggest and highest profile movies of the year weren't particularly well received critically even if they made tons of money. Ghost Rider, Wild Hogs, 300, POTC3, Shrek3, Spider-Man 3, Transformers, I Am Legend, and National Treasure 2 really had to swim to an extent, some much more than others, against critical response. Golden Compass was the biggest flop of the year and yet it still gathered a lot of attention. Beowulf got a lot of attention too, but didn't knock off enough people's socks.

Of the big tentpole films I'd say that only Harry Potter, Bourne Ultimatume, and Ratatouille had really good word of mouth, big box office, and critical response. Toss in Zodiac, Knocked Up, Superbad, 3:10 to Yuma, American Gangster, Enchanted, and probably Sweeney Todd and I'd say those are this years most successful big studio films, from a critical response standpoint. It's probably just me, but I'd describe it as a so so to bad year for big tentpoles and a terrific year for everything else.

That said, looking over my list I'd really only consider Once, Persepolis (which hasn't opened in Milwaukee yet), The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (which also hasn't opened in Milwaukee yet), and Black Book as truly obscure. Children of Men was a big studio release, Pan's Labyrinth won 3 Oscars, The Lives of Others won Best Foreign Language Picture, and the rest (including Persepolis and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) look to be in competition for this years Oscars.

Robert

"When I think abnormal movie theater, I'm think like IMAX or a booth at an adult video store. "

I think it was obvious he was talking about mainstream theaters. Sorry, I just get upset when people give snarky answers for no reason at all.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

To me, "normal movie theater" was by far more snarky than my reply. As if people who either do the small amount of homework or just are plain curious about things Hollywood isn't spoon-feeding them are "not normal" - which would be the insinuation of the comment. I get upset when people question normalcy.

But that'll be my last comment on the subject. I'm sorry you had to get worked up about it.

Edit: And I agree with RoCo (I think it was Roco) - Shoot 'Em Up was awesome fun. More movies need to exist just for the sole point of having fun with a genre... as long as the film is well-made of course.

"When I think abnormal movie theater, I'm think like IMAX or a booth at an adult video store. "

I think it was obvious he was talking about mainstream theaters. Sorry, I just get upset when people give snarky answers for no reason at all.

agreed, and after looking through the posting rules, his reply to me could be a violation of those rules. Not that I care that much, but the answer given to my question was not warranted.

"But that'll be my last comment on the subject. I'm sorry you had to get worked up about it. "

And I'm sorry you felt the need to take the word "normal" so literally. There now I'm done too.

Edit: And I agree with RoCo (I think it was Roco) - Shoot 'Em Up was awesome fun. More movies need to exist just for the sole point of having fun with a genre... as long as the film is well-made of course

Yup, that was me. And it'd definately make me revise my top 10 as well, though mine would be a bit holey, as I haven't seen everything I wanted to.

Though I watched Elizabeth: The Golden Age yesterday, it was released in december 2007. The movie is quite good, I think Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush will be nominated for the Oscar.

National Treasure 2 was barely okay, the plot was disappointingly weak, I prefer part 1 which had a more interesting story.

On the whole, 2007 was not a good year for movies to me and I'm hard pressed to come up with a top 10 (only 8).

My top 8 list for 2007:

1. 300

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

4. The Golden Compass (Nicole Kidman is so hot when she's playing evil)

5. Elizabeth: The Golden Age

6. Zodiac

7. Ratatouille

8. Beowulf

• 3 weeks later...
Since I am not much of a Paul Thomas Anderson fan you can take this with a grain of salt. There Will Be Blood is

ridiculously good.

I'm just going to concur with this sentiment. Daniel Day-Lewis is a force unleashed in this movie. Maybe the best showcase for a character so malevolent since RICHARD III.

Robert

Archived