Brewer Fanatic

Best of 2007: The Movies

EdgarDiazRocks

I hadn't seen a film in a theater all year until No Country For Old Men. Loved it, like most Coen films (and this was like Blood Simple-style).

I'll join in the chorus on looking forward to seeing There Will Be Blood, it's getting some massive buzz.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
The Golden Compass
Zodiac
Beowulf
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

300 is the best movie of 2007 for me. Looking forward to watch National Treasure 2 later this month, hope it's not disappointing.

Darjeeling Limited - I usually need multiple viewings to fully absorb Wes Anderson's films. But I did enjoy this one when I saw it in Chicago.

Superbad

Knocked Up - I like the Apatow stuff

Grindhouse - Death Proof was my favorite

Ratatouille

Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 was nearly impossible to follow for me. The effects and all that were spectacular. But I lost interest 15 minutes into the movie because everyone kept switching sides. It was nuts!

Looking forward to seeing Juno, No Country For Old Men & I Am Legend

I saw Persepolis this morning at a preview screening. It's among the best movies I've seen this year. I don't know how to compare this with Ratatouille since although animated it's radically different in tone, animation style, storytelling technique, and subject matter.

Robert

My wife and I have seen one movie in a theatre since our kids were born. It was a chick flick called "In the Land of Women", and I got a few laughs out of it. The only reason we picked that one was because it fit the timeframe that we had for our baby sitter. I'll give it a nomination for inclusion on the 'Best of 2007' list, mainly because I simply enjoyed the opportunity to get out for dinner and a movie. Otherwise, when the "Best DVD of 2007' topic comes up, I'll put in a detailed review of "The Lion King" and "The Little Mermaid". I've seen each of them about 50 times (still not nearly as many times as I've viewed "Caddyshack".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To jump on Robert's posts, I watched a few 2006 movies on DVD earlier in the year. Children of Men might have to make my "favorites" list of movies I've seen in the past year or so. I rented Pan's Labyrinth earlier this year........I'm not going to say I didn't like it, but I had much higher expectations of it, because of all the hubbub about what a fantastic movie it was.

On a side note, I watched The Bone Collector (I realize it's like 6 years old) for the first time on tv this past Saturday night, and I just have to say any movie in which the main bad guy is unable to defeat a man who's paralyzed from the neck down in hand to hand combat, he's not a very good bad guy, and I really just was not able to suspend my disbelief at that point.

I just saw Juno and thought it was pretty good. I just wish Michael Cera was in it a bit more, he had by far the two funniest lines. Also basically every song used in it was indie-pop so there's probably some people who'll maybe like the soundtrack.

Not a great year for movies, but there's no doubt in my mind There Will Be Blood will be amazing.

1. Lars and the Real Girl

2. Darjeeling Limited

3. Juno

4. Once

5. Easter Promises

6. Ratatouille

7. Knocked Up

8. Eagle vs. Shark

9. Bourne Ultimatum

10. No Country for Old Men- kind of a protest because the first hour is so brilliant, but the last 30 minutes really disappointed me. Still a good movie though.

• 2 weeks later...

My top 10, revised

Pan's Labyrinth

No Country For Old Men

Children of Men

The Lives of Others

Persepolis

Ratatouille

Once

Zodiac

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Sweeney Todd

Plus previous and now bumped: Hot Fuzz, Black Book, Gone Baby Gone

I really wasn't planning on two animated films and two musicals in my top 10. And all four completely different from each other. I have minor issues with Sweeney Todd, but the ending completely sold me on it. Still a few I want to see.

And, fwiw, I'm not going to include There Will Be Blood as a 2007 film as I think this current release pattern is silly. Especially since they've moved up the timetables for awards season. I can understand those that feel the same about Persepolis, Kite Runner, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Robert

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I liked Black Book better than Pan's.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

were they released in normal theaters in the US?

If by normal theaters, you mean theaters that play movies that are released to be watched by the general public, yes they were.

what is with the snippy tone? I asked a simple question, didn't expect to get the attitude.

Archived