Brewer Fanatic

Non-Tenders- Prior, Otsuka

splitterpfj
Couldn't you pick up otsuka and then stash him on the 60 day dl? and then pick up somebody else for his 40 man slot? I can't believe there are very many teams who would put in waiver claims on Acquino or mc Clung if we took them off our 40 man roster and tried to farm them to AAA.

I don't think there is a DL in the off-season. He'd have to count toward your 40-man limit.

All of who? Name five people on this board who did any of those things. Name three.

Greg.

On 9/19/07 Rluzinski commented on the "Cubs fans new rallying song" in the major leagues forum at 8:19 AM

He commented on a lyric in the song:

"We here that Mark Prior's ge-tting be-ta"

and then he replied, "Good Stuff."

I interpreted that as a joke.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=8167

On 8/1/07 yogallardo43 posted in the "just in time" at 10:54 PM

He wrote:

"What better to jinx the Cubs then one of the dynamic duo that id Wood/Prior. This will surely trip them up."

That too sounds like a joke

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=6837

On 7/21/07 Hall4president posted pictures of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood in the Curse the Cubs thread

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=368

On 7/22/07 crewcrazy posted a picture of a t-shirt, with Wood falling out of a hot tub:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=368?page=2

On 7/23/07 Baldkin posted a picture of the SI with Wood and Prior on it in the Curse the Cubs thread:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=368?page=3

On 7/23/07 Bruce Ciskie and Brian The Automator both posted pictures of Wood and Prior:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=368?page=3

I can't believe that you honestly think that no people on here make fun of Wood and Prior, that is pure ignorance. You've never seen anyone on this board make fun of one or the other? Look above, someone just said that the Astros signing Prior would be a "SILLY" move. Sportsfans are hypocrits, there is no doubt about it, in the 2005 season, Rogers punched a camera man, went to the all-star game and got booed very bad, now he is a Tiger, and they love him. If you honestly think that no one on here has made fun of them, you're wrong.

Now, I make jokes of them too, and it is not wrong, but it is extremely hypocritical to make fun of them, and then want them to play for you.

I know that I am overreacting, but it really ticks me off how you act as if no one has ever said a bad thing towards them.

There are seven examples, what do you say know?

Fair enough. I asked for three, you gave me three (although I think your citation of rluzinski is a stretch, but I won't quibble).

But has any of those three guys now proposed signing Wood or Prior?

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't toss around accusations of hypocrisy based on the fact that a few people out of a community of 1,500 said one thing, and then several different people from the same community say something you perceive as contradictory (which I'm not even sure it is, in this case). That's not hypocrisy -- it's just a diversity of opinion.

Edit: You edited your post since I wrote the above. I hope you understand my point now, although I'm not confident. You want to raise the stakes by calling me ignorant? Knock yourself out. Also, "hypocrite" has a damn "e" at the end. At least get that right.

Greg.

A Few? There have been tons of jokes, whenever someone says everyone on here, it gets critiqued way to much, and it is getting ridiculous. Everyone is spoken as an exageration, it isn't real, but there have been tons of threads on here that make fun of both of them, and it wasn't an accusation, I just provided 7 examples, in the offtopic forum a couple years ago someone posted the 2006 Cubs promotional schedule, that thread doesn't exist, but there are Prior and Wood jokes on it, there are plenty more, and I am not going to take the time to point out what poster has said what more than what I already have:

http://www.1060west.net/2006/03/2006-chicago-cubs-promotional-schedule.html

Look, if your point is that ripping on Wood or Prior is mean, then okay. I don't think all the examples you cited rise to that level, but I agree that some do. But hypocrisy is something beyond mean -- it requires a contradiction. The reason I'm making an issue of this is that I agree with you that hypocrisy is a bad thing. I think you're tossing around an important accusation incorrectly, and I think that's a really bad thing for you to be doing. That's all. Should sports fans be less mean in their/our comments? Yes, I agree with you about that as well (if that is your point).

Greg.

no greg, that wasn't my point at all, use whatever word or term you want, the point is that most people on this board made fun of both of them, a lot, and now this off-season, there have been lotsof posts saying that we should sign them.

that is my point, whatever term or word you want to use to describe my point, weather it be contradictory or whatever...

you then told me to name examples because apparantly you didn't believe that anyone would make fun of them...

I did that, and clearly my point is still missed, I don't know what else I can do to explain it better...

we are such hypocrits, all of us used to make fun of prior and wood, and make all kinds of jokes, and photoshop pictures, and then this offseason there are people that want to give them a shot?

They were ripped on when they were supposed to be aces for a rival and made big bucks. That's different than a guy who's on a reclamation contract for a low salary. Nobody is advocating giving them the status they had with the Cubs...if they did I'd make jokes about Wood and Prior.

no greg, that wasn't my point at all, use whatever word or term you want, the point is that most people on this board made fun of both of them, a lot, and now this off-season, there have been lotsof posts saying that we should sign them.

that is my point, whatever term or word you want to use to describe my point, weather it be contradictory or whatever...

you then told me to name examples because apparantly you didn't believe that anyone would make fun of them...

I did that, and clearly my point is still missed, I don't know what else I can do to explain it better...

I asked you for examples of hypocrisy, which was the word you used to slam this entire board. You have provided not one example of hypocrisy -- not one. You now say "most people on this board made fun of both of them, a lot." That simply isn't true, and I assume you're smart enough to know it isn't true.

Also, while I'm on this apparently outlandish bender about insisting that you have some sense of what your own words actually mean, "making fun" is a particular thing. It doesn't, to my mind, include saying that you hate somebody, or being glad somebody is hurt -- both of which I think are bad things to say for other reasons -- or rooting against somebody. "Making fun," in the sense I think you mean (but at this point, who knows what the hell you mean), is something like "Prior, he sucks, he'll never pitch ten games in a season again, the Cubs are so stupid to be stuck with him, bwah hah!" Few if any of your examples actually do that. Most of them just amount to rooting against players on a rival team.

The reason your point is missed is that it's incoherent. What you can do to explain it better is say something -- anything -- that makes sense on its own terms. Start here: give us one example of a poster on this board who (a) made fun of Wood and/or Prior -- denigrated their abilities, said they'd never come back from their injuries, whatever -- and then (b) argued that the Brewers should sign Wood and/or Prior. If you can do that, then I'll still think you're overreacting, but I'll at least understand where you're coming from.

Greg.

greg, I don't agree with you at all, but I am at least understanding what you have to say.

But there is no reason for you to be a jerk to me, just because you disagree.

I think it is hypocritical for Brewers fans to make fun of Wood and Prior for being hurt and sucking, and then some Brewers fans want them on the Brewers.

I'm done with this, I've wasted enough of my day on it.

I wouldn't mind Olivo. Or even McPherson... since we need some LH bats.

I keep thinking we might be better off putting Braun in a corner OF spot, moving Hall to 3rd (making Hart our CF) and acquiring a couple of LH bats like a Brad Wilkerson and an Eric Hinske. Hinske had a pretty bad year last year but in a reserve role he can play 1st, 3rd and OF which gives all of our guys some rest while Counsell can be the 2B and SS backup off the bench. Hinske will be cheap and if he rebounds from last year (maybe being close to home would help) to even .260 w/ 12-15 HR-like production he'd worth a shot. Plus he's a left handed bat off the bench.

Plus both Wilkerson and Hinske could be cheap one year deals.

I might be in the minority but I don't have a lot of confidence in Gabe Gross, Tony Gwynn Jr, and Joe Dillon as major factors in our OF next year.

Rp

I see Prior signign somewhere in the division - he has to really like the opportunity of playing the Cubs as much as possible. Id like to see him in an 8th inning setup roll honestly.

Gagne is on a 1 year deal so he isnt the long term plan at closer - at least not yet.

A team source said yesterday that the Phillies could be interested in righthander Akinori Otsuka, who was not offered a contract by the Rangers before Wednesday night's deadline. Otsuka opened the 2007 season as the Rangers' closer after tallying 32 saves with a 2.11 ERA in '06. But he wound up on the disabled list in mid-July and missed the second half of the season with right forearm inflammation. Rangers officials reported that he's had good rehab reports this winter.

Philidelphia Daily News

It shouldn't surprise anyone that a guy gets called names when he's a Cub, then becomes a potentially desirable acquisition when he's on the open market. That's not hypocrisy so much as it is the nature of team sports and fandom. Think of Randy Moss...as a Viking he was virtually the ultimate evil. Yet some of the same fans who hated him before were elated at the possibility of Favre to Moss when it was rumored this offseason. Much as we seem to pretend otherwise sometimes, liking a team or player is for most people not a moral or ethical choice...Cubs fans are not necessarily bad people, nor are they noble and long-suffering paragons of devotion. Same goes for Brewer fans...you know there are some who'd trade a child or two for a Brewers championship.

Archived