Brewer Fanatic

Non-Tenders- Prior, Otsuka

splitterpfj

Prior's situation reminds me a lot of Wade Miller's a few years ago, who the Boston Red Sox eventually gave a shot before ending up with the Cubs I believe this past year (or the year before).

Meaning, some team will likely overpay to take a chance at him bouncing back, but most teams, likely knowing the medical condition of his shoulder is not good, will back off knowing that he's not going to accept some meager minor league deal just to have the opportunity to properly recover from his injuries to make the long road back from an injury and surgery that doesn't have too many success stories to point to.

If the Cubs non-tendered him that means no team was even willing to give up a bag of balls while giving him a chance for $3.5M. Recovering elbows you take a chance on, not shoulders. I wouldn't mind seeing a million bucks thrown his way in a goodwill effort to land a potential stud reclammation project, but anything more than that would be a waste of resources.

EDIT: BTW, here's the running list. Not a single name stands out to me, with 15 minutes to go:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071212&content_id=2324311&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp&partnered=rss_mlb

not really great pickings. from a brewer desire list, Ensberg was non-tendered as was Dallas Mc Phearson. Mc Phearson was always a very highly rated prospect, but he did nothing at the major league level and has a history of injuries. I would not be shocked to see either player's name released tommorow in the mitchell report.

I would pick up guys like Otsuka and Mcpherson, and put them on our 40 man, instead of a guy like Drew Anderson or Greg Aquino. If their healthy they'll be valuable, and would bring a huge reward.

I'm thinking the same thing. Take Otsuka and possibly Ensberg is what I want. Take Anderson and Aquino off the 40 man.

Couldn't you pick up otsuka and then stash him on the 60 day dl? and then pick up somebody else for his 40 man slot? I can't believe there are very many teams who would put in waiver claims on Acquino or mc Clung if we took them off our 40 man roster and tried to farm them to AAA.

we are such hypocrits, all of us used to make fun of prior and wood, and make all kinds of jokes, and photoshop pictures, and then this offseason there are people that want to give them a shot? Why? The cubs are getting rid of him, because he is terrible, why would we want to pick up the Cubs' garbage, we are supposed to be a better team than them.

Well to be fair they think they found the real problem with Prior and fixed it. All along they were working on his arm when the real problem was in his shoulder. I don't know that I'd take a chance on him for $3-4M or whatever he is asking but it won't surprise me if he comes back at some point in the next two years and is effective.

Otsuka may need Tommy John surgery, he's not worth having here on a one-year at this point. He may bounce back eventually, but given his age, and the fact that he could be shut down for an entire season, he may be done in the major leagues.

I know he's been throwing for the first time in months, but the non-tender is the first thing Texas has said about it, their opinion would seem rather obvious.

Why? The cubs are getting rid of him, because he is terrible, why would we want to pick up the Cubs' garbage, we are supposed to be a better team than them.

..because another team could get him at a very reasonable price that is worth the risk of the sign. If the Cubs could have retained him at say, 1M, they would have. But at 3.75M, less attractive.

we are such hypocrits, all of us used to make fun of prior and wood, and make all kinds of jokes, and photoshop pictures, and then this offseason there are people that want to give them a shot?

All of who? Name five people on this board who did any of those things. Name three.

Greg.

I recall some people wanted to take a shot at Wood, but he's in much better shape than Prior at this point, to my understanding.

I think people here finally got off the "Gwynn for Otsuka" bandwagon a month or two ago when the words "Tommy John" came up.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived