Brewer Fanatic

Gamel vs LaPorta

ORLANDOBREWER

LaPorta! He played a pretty decent left field, and he's really yet to spend enough time to understand the position, but I would deem him MORE than adequate for a transitional position! He moves well in the outfield, and I'm not sure Gamel can. LaPorta's physical stature is more outfielder than Gamel.

Okay, I'm no expert, but it bothered me that Gamel was clearly the better player in Hawaii. He is younger and played at a higher minor league level. I'd take LaPorta, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I kicked myself in the pants someday when Gamel outdoes LaPorta on the major league level albeit with a different team since Mat is as good as gone the way he's blocked.

And That: true dat on strike zone judgement.

Is Mat really going to be taken seriously as a 3Bman? I think that whatever team ends up with him switches him to the outfield. His extra speed should make him a better defender out there than LaPorta, right? How do their arms compare? I assume that Mat's is significantly better given that LaPorta was mired at 1st in college and Mat's a 3rd baseman.

Gillespie. Oh wait, Gamel or LaPorta? LaPorta, who would likely hit 20 homers + with somewhat regular playing time even if he hit below .250 and struck out over 150 times.

But I'm a big fan of Gamel, and feel he is going to eventually get squeezed given the perceived logjam pretty much everywhere on the field, as LaPorta likely will be given more opportunities to succeed even if Gamel deserves as much of a chance.

And Gamel reportedly has a cannon for an arm at 3B, which likely would translate well to the OF, but as noted, he's not playing LF yet as LaPorta is, so there is a bigger learning curve there moving forward assuming he gets moved off of third eventually.

Gamel also bats left-handed, which continues to give him value in the upper levels of the system where potential impact left-handed bats are non-existant. Green and Gindl could join him in that distinction in a year or two, but for now they aren't as proven.

LaPorta.

(And I might be the most biased you can find for Mat Gamel!)

Gamel is horrible at third base right now. However, he does have the luxary of learning in the minor leagues. Braun got fast tracked because of a need at the MLB level for his hitting. Gamel has at least two full years in the minors to work out his kinks. (Supposedly it is mostly his footwork on his throws - and that he is a decent fielder)

At this point, moving Gamel to the OF would actually block him even more. (Hart, Hall, Braun, LaPorta) If he stays at 3B, he has a chance to play for the Brewers.

Maybe it's just me.

Okay I'll admit the truth.

I like Gamel better than LaPorta. I think he can do more things better than his more priviledged counterpart (excepting that power stroke of course). I think Mat should be the Brewers starting leftfielder in two years and that LaPorta should be groomed for 1B. No way we can afford Prince.

Now I know I know less than anyone here about minor leaguers, and that's why I'm hesitant to make a fool of myself, but I'm gonna be so ticked off when the Crew unload this guy.

Sorry.

Thanks (insert cathartic red-faced guy)

hmm. I don't communicate well.

let's try this.

if one wants to have an intelligent discussion on the issue, it should be changed to something like which player would be a better choice as LF in 2009 or 2010. Then it makes some sense.

I'd have to say LaPorta, but I echo Tbadder in loving Gamel's bat and really hoping both Matt and Mat have a home in Milwaukee in the coming years.

I always try to forget that we will almost definitley need a replacement for Prince in a few years. A Gamel/Hart/Braun outfield with LaPorta at 1B could work pretty well for me.

hmm. I don't communicate well.

let's try this.

if one wants to have an intelligent discussion on the issue, it should be changed to something like which player would be a better choice as LF in 2009 or 2010. Then it makes some sense.

Its not really supposed to make sense. Its for fun. Take you practicality elsewhere, sire!

The question is (*Hypothetically*) if both of them played at the major league level in 2008, who would have the better year? It's not practical, not predictive, not relevant to any realistic planning or discussion, just a hypothetical question someone chose to pose. Nothing wrong with that.

Archived