Brewer Fanatic

CHC signs Kosuke Fukudome (4yr/48M)

giffted1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That's exactly the type of guy they needed. That's a helluva lineup for them next year. We can only hope that Lilly comes back to earth, Hill doesn't improve, Zambrano continues his descent into madness, and their bullpen tears it's collective rotator cuff.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well there haven't been too many big time Japanese hitters that have disappointed have there? Was Kaz Matsui considered a big time hitter?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Their lineup still isn't that great to be honest, Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Fukudome do give them a solid middle of the order but the rest of it is meh. I'm not a Pie believer, Theriot is terrible, their other MI isn't much better and Soto is overhyped. Not that the lineup is terrible, it is just pretty average. I think that what is going to make them dangerous is team defense again. Last year they won the division because they were a strong defensive team and we were a weak one and I think that it might happen again this season.

Yeah, Ennder, you're probably right. I guess I just really wanted Fukudome on the Brewers and didn't want him on the Cubs.

Yeah, Ennder, you're probably right. I guess I just really wanted Fukudome on the Brewers and didn't want him on the Cubs.

Don't get me wrong, before this signing I thought we had a huge lead in the division and now I think we are pretty even again. This makes a difference for sure, I just think they are going to win with defense as much or more than with offense.

I do think the Cubs are the favorites to win the division, but it's just my opinion. I think their one Achilles heel is that they have nothing in starting pitching beyond their first four starters. Any injury to one or two of their starting pitchers, something that didn't happen at all last year, would be especially devastating to them. They really don't have anyone in the minors except for Sean Gallagher who's still a little too young.

I put the division at a push right now. Our bullpen got better, our offense stayed the same, our SP got better. The Cubs got a year older and added Fukudome, very few Cubs players outside of him will improve over last year in my opinion. Until this signing I thought their upside was the 84? wins from last year.

It took Matsui a year to adjust to the league, and he was 29. Matsui only posted a .788 OPS his first year(although he had a very nice .353 OBP.) His next year he had a .912 OPS.

I guess this guy is coming off an elbow injury so we'll see how is power rebounds. He's on the wrong side of 30. Sounds like he was a bit injury prone in Japan from what I've read.

Still sounds like a big upgrade over Jacque Jones for sure.

I think recent history has shown that we should take a cautious approach with Japanese players. I can't think of one (save Ichiro) that has come over and lived up to the hype. Nomo had a couple of good years, Matsui for the Yanks has been pretty good, but none have been major impact players. Look at Dice-K. Put up pretty pedestrian numbers.

I can't see any reason why Fukudome will be any different.

I don't think Kaz Matsui was ever seen as being as good as Hideki Matsui. Gozilla hit between 34-50 HRs for 7 straight years, and had between a .401 and .463 OBP in those seven years. Kaz had some exceptional numbers - twice over 30 HRs, 7 years of a .300+ BA - and speed to boot. But he never got into the lofty numbers and exceptional plate discipline of Hideki. Kaz played an offensively challenged position - SS - so that no doubt increased his value.

Still, Kaz is a classic example of a great Japanese player not panning out. Now he's nothing but a speed guy with a rag arm.

From what I see about Fukudome, the thing he has going for him is quality defense (I've heard his arm is exceptional), and most importantly, a good eye at the plate. Ichiro and Hideki Matsui both had good plate discipline in Japan, and it has helped them in the states. Kaz Matsui was never great in his plate discipline - okay - but that's it. Like a lot of AAAA hitters, he just hasn't translated to the majors that well.

Cubs got (from reports) as superior fielder, and a guy who gets on base well. Can't argue with that - even with the cost. If he hits 15 HR, he should be a real positive for them.

Too bad for the Crew. I would have loved him.

Our bullpen got better, our offense stayed the same, our SP got better.

I was thinking just the opposite. The SP are the same 6-7 guys, but the offense surely hasn't topped out quite yet. It would be hard to fathom that Hardy, Hart, Fielder, Weeks, Braun, and Hall all reached their potential last year.

As for the bullpen, I agree. Strength there should improve the SP, if that's what you meant.

This sucks, but sad to say that there's no way the Brewers could outbid the Cubs even if they were interested in Fukudome and he's open to coming here. Fukudome had prefered to play in the west coast, but the Padres still lost the bidding.

I think the reportedly $50-to-$56 million over 4 years for Fukudome may be too costly.

Edit: Cubs.com reports $48 million over 4years.

Well at least they'll have Dempster in their starting rotation.

And wow, looking at MLBtraderumors.com, I think the Cub fans are going to get really annoying with how they use (abuse) this guy's name. Although annoying and Cub's fan usually go hand in hand, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Here's hoping that he is on the downside of his career at this point. (After all he's over 30 years old). I think what someone said about him being like Matt Murton with good defense is about right on.

He's not going to hit for a lot of HR power, but he might be able to get on base pretty well. It'll be interesting to see how his skills transfer. Although, wouldn't it be great if this totally backfires on the Cubs, and they end up paying Kaz Matsui Jr. 4 year 50 million. Its not necessarily impossible that he could flop at the Major League level (here's hoping).

Archived