Brewer Fanatic

Luis Gonzalez

I don't know if this name has been thrown around, sorry if it has. I was just browsing through the free agents and he seems like a pretty good fit for a professional left handed bat, who happens to play left field. If the Brewers can't acquire a 3B to boot Braun to left, why not give him one more year and sign this guy to a one year deal. This way by 09 if Braun can't cut it there we know for sure. If he makes strides and were comfortable with him there, then we have the hitter we covet to keep left warm for LaPorta.

He's getting old but he still gets on base, hits both leftys and rightys well. His power numbers have dipped some but I'm sure he'd feast on the fastballs he'd get in the 2 slot in our order. A one year deal can't hurt us going forward, but COULD turn out to be just the bat we need to complete this line-up.

------OBP..... SLG ......BB:K
05.....366........459......78:90
06.....352........444.....69:58
07......359.......433.....56:56

The best part is, we keep all of our other players and our team looks pretty set, and we have lots of flexibility to make mid-season moves by keeping all 8 starting pitchers, having pretty good depth in the pen and keeping all of our prospects.

Id like Gonzalez as a pinch hitter - but I wouldnt be able to trust him in the outfield, and at this point I am sure he would just retire before taking a roll as the 1st bat off the bench. If I were an AL team id be really interested.

Archived