Brewer Fanatic

Wise DFA'd

patrickgpe

Also, what to do now with my avatar!?

Photoshop a tear on Matt's face.

I'd rather have seen Aquino gone, but I guess this is one of those "In Doug I Trust" moments. Good luck, Matt; and if you must come back to bite the Brewers in the butt, please consider making it early in the season, so there's time to recover.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bummer.

If you're just going to DFA guys, why not Aquino?

Yep, Wise at least has a history of success, Aquino has a history of filling up the bases with baserunners

To be fair Aquino will empty them just as quickly as he gives up a home run.

For the 150K it would have cost to keep him through Spring Training it makes no sense.

Would've been better to DFA Aquino, Anderson, or McClung (no reason to believe he'll ever have enough control to be effective).

Would've been best to have simply non-tendered Estrada a few weeks ago, as Mota at 3 mil is (I think) rather obviously a worse option than Wise for next year.

Hindsight is 20/20. We didn't know that Gagne, Torres and Riske would all be added to the Brewers before they made the move for Mota. It won't surprise me one bit if Mota rebounds, he still throws hard and it is not like he was having control issues last season (2.7 BB/9 is not bad). His real problem has been in LOB% which is usually a mental thing.

As for Aquino, he's been almost as good as Wise over the past 2 years, is younger and has more upside, is cheaper and if I'm not mistake can be sent to the minors while Wise cannot. I understand the reasoning, I just hope Aquino doesn't make the 25 man out of spring training.

I don't see why Aquino or Anderson weren't chosen for this. If it's part of a trade, the value for Mench and/or Wise has to be next to nothing now. I think the Wise move is very questionable, but we'll see what he ends up with in the market. I really do hope they bring him back on a minor league deal, but I think he'll be signed soon by someone else.

Does Aquino have options left? I'm assuming he must and maybe that's some of the reasoning here.

Ennder wrote:

As for Aquino, he's been almost as good as Wise over the past 2 years, is younger and has more upside, is cheaper and if I'm not mistake can be sent to the minors while Wise cannot. I understand the reasoning, I just hope Aquino doesn't make the 25 man out of spring training.

I agree, I'm ok with keeping Aquino and McClung over Wise for these reasons. I don't see a spot for Wise this year, and I think Aquino and McClung are decent emergency options to have on hand at AAA.

Plus, he deserves to be gone for eyeing up my girlfriend at Fan Fest.

And Anderson? There's just no place for him.

Is it possible they cut Wise as a favor.

They could have let Aquino go now - but the truth is that they will both likely be gone before the season starts. I fully expect Wise to catch on with someone else.

Maybe they just wanted to give him a head start. I liked Wise alot - before his meltdown last year, he was a very consistent pitcher in a bullpen with very few. I hope he doesn't get booed when he returns to Miller Park - but I fear he is in line for the Brady Clark treatment.

And Anderson? There's just no place for him.

I dunno anything about Anderson. But I think the driving force was Wise wasn't going to fit on the 25 man roster so why offer him arby and pay him over $1M.

drew anderson and greg aquino must have impressed someone...or perhaps they have the blesssing of the holy jack z.

Or maybe some compromising pics of the F.O. staff. Maybe he just has the rest of the letters in Jack's surname... you wouldn't want that list out in the open!

http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=4315

Best of luck to ya, Matt! Here's hoping you get a nice payday, and that your nasty changeup doesn't come back to haunt us.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Would've been better to DFA Aquino, Anderson, or McClung (no reason to believe he'll ever have enough control to be effective).

Would've been best to have simply non-tendered Estrada a few weeks ago, as Mota at 3 mil is (I think) rather obviously a worse option than Wise for next year.

McClung's control is certainly no worse than Turnbow's.

Your second point may be valid, but over the course of their careers, Mota has had more success than Wise, and he didn't melt down in a Brewer uniform in 07.

The simple fact is there was no room for Wise in the 08 pen. Sure they could have DFA'd Aquino (they still might) but Wise was going get around 1.5 to 2 million in arby. They are also doing him a favor releasing him now when he has time to shop around for a team.

I was very critical of Wise's inability to go multiple innings in a game or back to back day, but I always liked him, I just didn't think the Brewers could afford to limit themselves with a Wise type in the pen. Especially when you're only getting 5-6 innings out of your starters.

Best of luck to Matt, I hope he catches on somewhere and bounces back.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

In the Major Leagues: Wise at 1M >>> Aquino at 450k

At AAA: Wise at 1M<<< Aquino at 450K

To keep the more expensive reliever, when they probably won't contribute, doesn't make sense. If these guys get straightened out, they are way better than Wise in 2007.

I understand the move. But maybe Wise gets dealt with Bush to get Blalock. Who knows?

Matt Wise is not very good. I would be surprised to see him get a major league deal.

He will --- It's a given.

Also, what to do now with my avatar!?

Put a big red slash through it? Like Ghostbusters

Great, now we got to hire a friend for Turnbow too.

Or we could trade Turnbow

Yep.

Great, now we got to hire a friend for Turnbow too.

I'd volunteer for the job.... but we just signed Gagne for that.

I'll miss Matty. He was one of the few guys who was blunt and honest in interviews with the media.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived