Brewer Fanatic

Printer advice...

cooprules

While I can't vouch for reliability, quality, etc., Kodak is putting out printers with cheap ink, but you pay normal price for the printer itself. Might be something to check out if you have to change ink more often than normal.

In my experience, HP printers are the best. Stay away from Lexmark! When I worked in retail the Lexmark printers were consistently returned because they are crap and the replacement cartridges are really expensive. Oh, and the extended warranties' or replacement plans' are a rip off. That's part of the long story of why I no longer work in retail...

Our Canon is going strong 5+ years now. I'm sure they don't make the same model any more, but I'd definitely recommend one that has 4 separate cartridges for each of the colors, so you don't have to throw out some yellow ink because you're out of red. Then again, it's been that long since I've bought a printer, maybe they all have that now.

To save money I might also recommend looking on some ink sites to see what you can get cheap generic ink for. We usually get cartridges under a dollar a piece and they've worked fine for us.

I just had to replace the black cartridge on my Canon Pixma printer and I was shocked when I saw the name brand ink for $7.00. I triple checked to make sure the ink was right, and sure enough.

I like the Canon so far.

I've had a Canon i560 for 3 or 4 years and am very satisfied. I think it was $80-$100. I don't think they're sold anymore, bullox's line may be the replacement. We don't print a lot, mostly kids printing homework. Had an Epson before that the heads would clog all the time. Used more ink cleaning than printing. Canon's and Epson's have permanent printheads, HP and Lexmark have the heads in the cartridge. I buy the compatible cartridges on the internet for about $4 a pop and they work fine. I'd like to know where the $1 ones are.

I think you'll have a problem with any inkjet printer if you go weeks without printing. I'd at least print a test pattern weekly. It's also important with printers to turn them off at the printer and not at a powerstrip or surge protector. That allows the printer to park the printheads so they don't dry as fast and clog.

You're right, it's like razors and razor blades with consumables. I'd never buy an HP for that reason. I'll almost certainly get another Canon when this one gives up. You can find lots of reviews on the internet.

Archived