Brewer Fanatic

Nix Remains A Brewer

BritInWI

It's good that Nix is still a brewer.

This might be a little off topic, from what the headline is, but it was in that link and I am curious. That article said Matt Wise might be DFA because Gagne wore number 38. On the other hand, In Jason Kendall wore number 18 in his press conference. Does this mean Gross is going to switch numbers (hopefully not DFA) ?

unless Wise has the number tattooed on his arm, i don't see why he'd be so attached to it. Gagne can just throw him a new Porsche or something with all his money and Wise should be happy.

i'm happy that Nix will still be with us. i know he's not uber-prospect or anything, but in a pinch i think he'd make a good 4th or 5th outfielder.

I would take Nix, despite his injury prone status, over TGJ.

I've been saying that for the last year. He would make a very good bench player IMO. He has speed and some power for pinch hitting duties and is a very good defensive player who can play all three outfield spots so he'd be fine as a spot starter. His biggest problem has been heath. Every time he's about to get a shot to show what he can do he gets hurt. As a 4th outfielder that should mitigate that probelm somewhat.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I apologize for repeating myself, but Nix can't play because he can't get on base. He has a .273 lifetime OBP in nearly 1000 plate appearances. That will kill you, unless you limit his use to a pinch runner and a defensive replacement where you're sure he won't have to hit. It renders his power meaningless.

I think sometimes we make the mistake -- I know I do this -- of thinking about players' strengths and weaknesses as simple "plus" or "minus" factors. So Nix has three "pluses" -- power, speed, defense -- and only two "minuses" -- OBP and health -- making him a "plus one" on balance, which seems like it equates to a useful bench player. I'm not saying anyone literally goes through that thought process, but I think it accurately describes how our minds sometimes work.

Nix's OBP isn't simply a "minus," just like Prince Fielder's power isn't simply a "plus." Those factors define what those players are, swamping the other aspects of their talents. A good team cannot carry a guy with a .273 OBP, unless he can pitch. I'm not really high on Gwynn, because I think his lack of power will limit him severely, but he has shown real evidence of being able to play a useful role. I don't believe Nix can. If somebody wanted him, I would trade him for anything.

Greg.

I'm not really high on Gwynn, because I think his lack of power will limit him severely, but he has shown real evidence of being able to play a useful role.

Nix OBP in AAA in 06 was .347 Gwynn's was .360.

In 07 Nix .332 Gwynn .336. Given the lack of power for Gwynn his OBP isn't nearly good enough to offset the minimal differance in OBP.

I know Nix is much older but Gwynn's OBP got worse not better and Gwynn will never develop power.

I get what you mean with Nix though. I didn't know his OBP was that bad. Given the circumstances if one has to stay and one can be traded I'd rather trade Gwynn and keep Nix. Mostly because I doubt either are going to be useful in any major way and Gwynn probably has more trade value due to name and age.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If we do indeed sign a LF or move Braun to LF by signing a 3B, then Gross and Dillon would be our #4 & 5 OFs. Of course, Dillon could also be seen as a backup IF, so we could still keep another OF buried on the bench. Our bench will be Counsell, Gross, Dillon, Munson, and if it's among Rottino, Gwynn and Nix, I'm really indifferent as to the final spot goes to. Counsell is our light-hitting LH bat, negating Gwynn, while Gross is our power-hitting LH bat negating Nix. Dillon is our multi-purpose utility guy, negating Rottino. Kendall won't have to be pinch run for like Estrada, so we shouldn't need to carry a third catcher, also negating Rottino.

In other words, any of them have some value to the team, mostly in a defensive replacement role. I don't care which of them makes it, and the others are simply AAA insurance. I guess if I were going to the scrap heap for a player, I'd look for a righty that has some power that could pinch hit and spell Fielder on the few days a year he sits against a tough lefty. If we can trade Nix or Gwynn for that, I'm happy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived