Brewer Fanatic

Baseball America top prospect lists

colbyjack

BA has kicked off their top prospect lists, starting with the Baltimore Orioles:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...62799.html

Since they're starting in the AL this year, we probably won't see the Brewers' report until January.

Anyway, I figured I'd open this thread to discuss the teams as they're released. As for the Orioles, I have never been a big fan of farm systems whose recent first-round pick is the team's top prospect, unless you're talking about a Delmon Young type of draft pick/prospect. Billy Rowell is a fine slugger, but his placement as the Orioles top prospect doesn't speak too highly of the premier talent in their system, although they have recently graduated Adam Loewen, Nick Markakis, Hayden Penn and Chris Ray.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was pretty surprised to see that they said Rowell was a better prospect than markakis. Considering markakis had an .896 ops after the allstar break and had only 120 bats above A ball that pretty much projects Rowell to be a borderline hall of famer.

I didn't catch where they said Rowell is a better prospect than Markakis. Keep in mind, Markakis is no longer a prospect since he has more than 130 big-league ABs under his belt, just in case you're making that assumption based on Rowell being ranked the #1 prospect.

If they did indeed say that and I missed it, I suppose I could see where Rowell's prospect status may be better than what Markakis' was, since BA is quite high on Rowell (they rated him higher than Braun at 3B in their positional rankings, a rating I strongly disagree with, but that's not the point). He's a big guy that should continue to grow while adding strength, and having seen his power potential in person, I can tell you he should be able to hit quite a few home runs as long as he continues to progress.

I too feel Braun is the Brewers top prospect, for pretty much the same reason that Al stated. Until pitchers prove themselves at the big-league level, I still am incredibly wary of them (which is also why I am more willing to trade them for proven talent). I have more confidence in young hitters.

Although, I can't really argue against Yo as they're probably closer to 1A and 1B than one and two.

Well where does age factor in? And while I am a big Ryan Braun fan (we share the same name, which always helps me develop an affinity for a player), I am of the belief that Yo's value, even as a dreaded pitching prospect, is a bit higher than a 3B who should, but may not stay at his current position.

I'm surprised Betances is #3. Kennedy, Clippard and Chamberlain should all be ahead of him.

While Hughes is arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball, their system is woefully slim on bats. The Orioles and Yankees should be in the 20-30 range overall, if not 25-30.

According to the BA website, the Brewers rankings will be available on February 8th. I can't wait that long!!!!

With all due respect to Baseball America, when the Brewers top prospect list is unveiled and when John Manuel conducts his chat, we aren't likely to learn too many things that we don't already know. And that really isn't anything against BA, it's just that there isn't much that gets past us.

How can they possibly try to predict the Yankees 2010 starting lineup. Do they honestly think the Yanks are going to stop signing Free Agents?

Would you rather they predicted Ben Sheets as their number 2 starter in 2010? Actually, that would be pretty funny.

I didn't want to open a new thread to mention this, but Yovani Gallardo gets some love from David Rawnsley over on BaseballWebTV. In part four of a seven part audio series, Rawnsley profiles five players that really stepped up at the Jupiter tournament in year's past, and Gallardo is one of those five (Scott Kazmir, Brian McCann, Ryan Sweeney and Chris Parmelee are the others, so he's in very good company).

Follow the link provided just below, click on the second red button towards the top of the page, or just wait for the "Road to Jupiter" feature to show up on the rotating feature graphic at the top, and then click on Part 4 to listen.

www.baseballwebtv.com/

Quote:
but Yovani Gallardo gets some love from David Rawnsley over on BaseballWebTV. In part four of a seven part audio series, Rawnsley profiles five players that really stepped up at the Jupiter tournament in year's past, and Gallardo is one of those five

Ironically it was us who he began his "step up" against. He threw two runners out at the plate from LF and then came in and closed the game in the "tiebreaker" against our Blazer team.

We were the #1 seed overall after pool play that year. Our roster featured guys like Beranek, Ryan Wherle, Ryan Bohannon, Dusty Brabender, Brett Jacobsen, and others.

The Red Sox are covered today:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...62814.html

Spending $10-15 million on draft picks with so many compensatory picks, not to mention dropping first and second round money on late-round picks, is a quick way to turn around a farm system that was pretty depleted a couple of years ago. And they traded both Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez last offseason.

Ellbury is a fine prospect, but he's probably not a #1 guy in most organizations, which probably pushes the Red Sox overall into the 15-20 range I'm guessing.

After a while I will rank the organizations, and I welcome others to do the same. Right now I'd have them Red Sox-Yankees-Orioles.

The Blue Jays list it out:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...62822.html

Adam Lind is one of the better prospects that for the most part goes unnoticed. For such a big bat, it's a little interesting that he doesn't walk much being in the Blue Jays orginzation. Travis Snider could be the best bat from the '06 draft, and overall the Jays' system went from heavy on pitchers and light on bats to more well balanced.

A solid system, better than the Red Sox at the very top, but probably not as deep. They'll probably be lumped somewhere in between the Red Sox & Yankees.

A note on the Blue Jay's list:

Former Midwest Blazer and Sheboygan North standout Brandon Magee made the list. Also credited wtih the organizations best slider.

Nice to see a hometown guy on a top prospect list.

Way to go Brandon!

Nice to see Nevin Ashley get a mention. I was at the last game he played for the Eau Claire Express. He hit a homer and moved well behind the plate.

The D-Rays have a good system. Hopefully they can continue developing that talent and one day amass enough talent to make a run at the division title.

Archived