Brewer Fanatic

3B Chase Headley

The Brewers are still searching for a 3B, and would prefer one with On-base skills, and a lefthanded stick. I think Headly could fit the bill. He is a switch hitter, is average or better defensively, has always been outstanding at taking walks, and is a solid all around hitter. He has displayed terriffic work ethic and desire to improve. His only weakness is lack of MLB experience, but that hasn't scared the Brewers before.

Headly is blocked by Kevin Kouzmanoff at 3B, and has no experience at another position. The Padres are still searching for a CF, and have made inquiries about Gwynn Jr before. Gwynn and a prospect for Headley?

The Padres also are looking for another SP. Capuano or Bush could interest them. With Michael Barret excepting arbitration, I'd like to pry C Josh Bard from them. He is a good defender with a high OBA. Gwynn, Capuano, and Rivera for Headley and Bard?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

This is a good player, to be sure. If he could be had for Cappy/____, great. I just worry that he'd come too pricey. Alderson & Towers are no dummies. As trwi7 mentioned, the one to move off 3B should be Kouzmanoff. Weren't the Pads worried about their LF situation? Seems an odd concern to me given Headley.

Btw, useless/ful stat of the day... in his senior season at Tennessee, Headley worked 63 BBs over 238 ABs (23 Ks!!). Not only is that an ungodly rate, it was good enough to boost his OBP to .530!!!1!!1!!W!!OOO@T!!!. Seriously, a .530 OBP with a .387 BA. Whaaa?

http://www.always420forum.com/forum/marijuana-pics/1058_drooling_homer_sm_1.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

you would think that the padres would be the logical team to dump Gwynn on since his Dad has ties...

I see this posted alot about Gwynn and the Padres, even with other teams also. That GM's for other teams would get all glassy eyed over Gwynn because of his last name and thus over value him. Other teams have scouts, i'd strongly assume any interest a GM would have in Gwynn would be based on liking his defense and thinking Tony could develop into a good lead off hitter, not because he has a famous last name.

I'm very skeptical that Gwynn can ever hit well enough to deserve an everyday job, but some GM's value defense/speed more than others do and are willing to accept fly swatter power from a speedy lead off guy. I'm not sure if the Padres do, but that more than likely will decide if they have any interest in Gwynn at all.

I'm not sure if the Padres do, but that more than likely will decide if they have any interest in Gwynn at all.
The Padres are definately interested in Gwynn, according to Corey Brock at Padres.com

What do you think about the possibility of the Padres getting ahold of Tony Gwynn Jr.? I know that many San Diego fans would love to see him in a Padres uniform and think that he'd be a great addition to this Padres staff, considering the age of our outfield.

--

From what I understand, Ervin, the Padres attempted to get the Brewers to add Gwynn in the July trade last season that brought three relievers over in the Scott Linebrink deal. The Brewers opted to decline at that time and did so again when the Padres inquired if he might be available during this offseason. So there you have it. I agree that Gwynn would be a nice fit in San Diego. He's an athletic outfielder who hasn't had a chance to show what he can do with a prolonged stint in the Major Leagues. Schedule alert: The Brewers visit PETCO Park on Aug. 12-14.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The Padres are also very short on OF right now with Bradley gone, Cameron a FA. If they don't get Fukodome, their OF is something like Giles, Sledge, and then maybe Hairston? Particularly in PETCO they'll want a CF that can cover some ground.

That said, I'm not sure that Headley is available. I don't know whether the Padres consider Kouz a long-term solution at third...his defense is pretty bad. I also have the sense (maybe inaccurate) that Headley's somewhat limited defensively (though definitely an upgrade over either Kouz or Braun) and that there are questions about his power going forward. The latter point doesn't bother me much given the current roster and the need for a OBP guy, but I don't know what the Brewers think.

The Padres are also very short on OF right now with Bradley gone, Cameron a FA. If they don't get Fukodome, their OF is something like Giles, Sledge, and then maybe Hairston?

Sledge just signed with a Japanese team, so there really thin in the OF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anyone else think of Blazing Saddles when they read this thread topic?

"It's Hedley."
http://www.scvhistory.com/gif/lw2145g.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I read a while back the that the Pads were looking to move Kouzmanoff from 3B because his defense is so bad - and to open up room for Headley. Probably not this year, but more in 2009 after he gets some time at AAA. Where they'd move Kouzmanoff, I don't know. But I think the Pads know they have a bad defender at the hot corner.

Archived