Brewer Fanatic

PS3 Question

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, so my wife got me a PS3 for christmas, and gave it to me early, I have a few questions.

And no, I didn't want a 360. Wii, maybe, but I still wanted a PS3 also.

And yes, I realize I can look up the instructions online or whatever, but instructions never work as good as asking someone who has one in their house and knows how it works.

On to the question, I have the ethernet cable running to my modem, but it's not communicating. The little orange light on the modem that says "activity" turns off when it gets hooked to the PS3. I go to the browser, and it says to check settings in "network settings". As you can tell, I'm not really a computer guy. Some help here would be appreciated!

I'd love to help, but I use Wi-Fi for my PS3.

(That said, I'm guessing you need to be able to connect to the network before you can install system updates via the network.)

There is a 'Network Settings' icon on the Cross-Media Bar (XMB)....I think it's about 2-4 headings from the far left (definitely before music, videos & pictures). See if there's something there that looks like it should be changed.

did you do a system update? I'd try that first. I believe you have to enter your isp number in network settings. Its been 2 years since i messed with my internet settings for my ps3 though.

So ah.......where do I find my ISP? I know what it is, but I don't know where to find it.

Not to derail this thread still a PS3 question. For you WI-FI guys. I have a older computer, and would have to buy a WI FI router, do I also have to buy the WI FI adapter for the PS3? The way it's looking I would have to buy 2 adapters (1 for my computer and 1 for the PS3), and that is getting to be about $200. Just looking for WI FI cheaper option. I am looking at the (N) series of routers which are newer and faster.

Not to derail this thread still a PS3 question. For you WI-FI guys. I have a older computer, and would have to buy a WI FI router, do I also have to buy the WI FI adapter for the PS3? The way it's looking I would have to buy 2 adapters (1 for my computer and 1 for the PS3), and that is getting to be about $200. Just looking for WI FI cheaper option. I am looking at the (N) series of routers which are newer and faster.

I think that the 20GB version of the PS3 (available pretty much only at launch) is the only one that doesn't include internal Wi-Fi.

I've never read whether the PS3 is a (b) or (g) Wi-Fi device; not that it really matters, as your broadband connection will pose more of a bottleneck than any Wi-Fi router.

If you are not planning on playing online with a PS3 do you still have to hook it up to a computer to play games

Nope, but games like Call to Duty 4 has a regular story that you can get through in about 5-6 hours of total playing time. The games real appeal is when you go and play with others on-line.

If you are not planning on playing online with a PS3 do you still have to hook it up to a computer to play games

Nope, but games like Call to Duty 4 has a regular story that you can get through in about 5-6 hours of total playing time. The games real appeal is when you go and play with others on-line.

And WOW is it good online! I have it for 360, but obviously pretty much the same thing. I never thought I'd see the day, but Halo 3 and guitar hero 3 have taken a back seat to COD4 these last couple weeks. I can't get enough

I thought that was what the original problem was. I prefer a corded connection for online games.

His problem is that he can't get the PS3 to connect to his modem. You're supposed to be able to do it though (unless the people I know that run cables are using a USB adapter and I didn't notice it).

According to the handbook, it should be able to connect directly to the modem (in fact the system comes with an ethernet cable right in the box) Just that when I plug it into my modem, the "Activity" light just goes out, so the system is not communicating with the modem for some reason.

I have to say that is very odd. Unless your modem is really old, I would think most stuff should be just plug and play. I seem to remember modems used to have problems with Xbox and PS2 at first.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived