Brewer Fanatic

Mench DFA'd

And That
So we in essence traded carlos lee and nelson cruz for the draft picks we are getting from the reds. Not one player in that trade is on the brewers now. Or is Julian Cordero still in our system.

Pretty sure Lee was a type A FA as well. We gave up part of a season of Lee and got back a 1+ a part of a season of Cordero and more playing time for Hart. Not the most amazing deal but I think it helped the team in the long run.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at the going rate, half a season of Lee is worth around $7.5MM.

1 1/2 seasons of Cordero are worth around $17MM
1 1/2 seasons of Mench are worth around $6MM

So we're the obvious winners, right?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We got a record setting amount of fans in part because of that trade and we are now able to sign guys like Gagne and Riske because of our profits and the idea of baseball in Milwaukee is no longer a small market one.

I dont think that we can use what we have left as a comparison.

I think my favorite Mench moment was watching that Brewers Straight-Up show, and seeing Mench and Jenkins sitting next to each other, doing the newspaper crossword puzzle. This was only about a month or two after both said that they wouldn't platoon with one another. I believe Jenkins said during that episode that Mench was one of his best friends on the team, which made the spring training comments even more absurd.

Mench seemed like a likable guy. I hope he catches on somewhere, preferably in the American League, and mashes.

Also, did Laynce Nix go bye-bye? He was a part of that deal, too.

This isn't a "favorite," but it may be a "most memorable."

My 5-year-old daughter gets two tickets to a game because of perfect attendance at school. She decides to ask Daddy to go along. We sit behind home plate in the upper deck. The game was against the D'Backs. There is a short fly ball to Mench in right. What? A big blade of grass wraps itself around his leg causing his upper body to come careening to the turf while the ball fell a few feet from him. My daughter laughed because it looked so funny.

I was waiting for her to say, "Shrek just fell down, Daddy!"

Mench was my daughter's favorite Brewer for 2 reasons:

1) She felt sorry for him because people made fun of him(primarily my son and I)
2) To get under our skin

So the night we sat in section 115 Kevin happened to be standing, leaning over the dugout railing before the game without his cap. The setting sun and reflecting light made his head look even larger than usual. When I pointed him out to my daughter, the way her eyes bugged and the look of astonishment that came over her face made it my favorite Mench moment.

He looked silly at times in the outfield but overall was not as bad as many said compared to many other OFers in the majors. The early count swinging and lack of walks while not quite Estradaesque was frustrating. As strictly a lefty killer he has some value but being limited in that way it's poor use of a roster spot at that price.

I always thought he got a bad rap - it wasn't his fault Ned kept playing him against righties.

I'm sure he'll be booed when he returns to MP.

I agree with homer here. Mench wasn't that terrible, he did what we wanted him to do most -- he hit left-handed pitching, and hit it well. I think he could've been pretty valuable had Yost understood the concept of a true platoon. As it is, we probably can't afford to keep him on board knowing that Yost can't grasp that concept.

Losing Mench does leave a hole in the lineup now. We need to make some kind of LF or 3B move this offseason, unless we want a Grillon platoon. While that wouldn't be terrible, I think we're best served having Dillon available in more of a utility role.

As an aside, Tom Haudricourt was on MLB on XM during the noon hour today, and mentioned that Mench being DFAed probably means either Braun is going to be moved to the outfield, or that a trade could be in the works. Not really anything we didn't know already, but just thought I'd point it out.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Mench did his job in the platoon last year, best of luck to him in the future. He is a right handed Jenkins, only difference he didn't get to hang around and steam money from the franchise for ten years.

I agree, Mench was pretty effective versus LH pitching, yet still gets hated on this site. He was more effective vs. LH pitching than the for some reason loved Gabe Gross was able to pull off versus RH pitching.

Mench vs. LH put up .314/.343/.558 yet is called ineffective and worthless

Gross vs. RH put up .244/.328/.459 yet somehow gets all sorts of love.

I remember Mench's first homerun. It was when the Brewers were giving away a nesting doll set I believe. I also remember the comment he made after the huge applause he got and tipped his cap. "I usually dont like to do that but the fans wanted me to".

Archived