Brewer Fanatic

Mench DFA'd

And That

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your favorite Mench moment?

I'd have to say his arrival to Miller Park the day we traded for him. It looked like it was something out of a WWE show. I believe he even came up in a big spot at the end of the game...and got out. It only went downhill from there.

i remember his first homer, i was at that game, it was a sunday, and he got a curtain call, didn't hit another one all year.

good bye, I really won't miss him a lot.

If Im not mistaken that was the first Cerveceros night. El Mench

My favorite was when my mom told me that Kevin Mench was her favorite Brewer, because he looked the least like a professional athlete.

On the field, we saw the same 2006 home run that patrickgpe did (Edit: It was a Sunday day game, RyDogg). The Brewers included it in one of their highlight collections for 2007, and I kind of rolled my eyes every time I saw it.

And of course, I'll miss the platoon names to which his surname was so well suited: Menchkins, Grench, Gwynch, etc.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My favorite moment was his game at Wrigley prior to being left in to first-pitch chop it to SS v. Dempster. Iirc, he had a nice game going until he was played against his weakness.

Best of luck to ya, Kevin. Go mash LHP somewhere!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Using the term "favorite" very liberally, his game-ending ground out against the Cubs at Wrigley on August 30th marks one of the most emotional (in this case, negative) baseball experiences I've ever had.

That's worth something, right?

EDIT: Too slow. Also, definitely a Yosting, but still a Mench moment.

My favorite moment was his game at Wrigley prior to being left in to first-pitch chop it to SS v. Dempster. Iirc, he had a nice game going until he was played against his weakness.

Best of luck to ya, Kevin. Go mash LHP somewhere!

That AB will stick with me for a long, long time. It should have cost Yost his job.

Good riddance.

What's your favorite Mench moment?

I'd have to say his arrival to Miller Park the day we traded for him. It looked like it was something out of a WWE show. I believe he even came up in a big spot at the end of the game...and got out. It only went downhill from there.

I remember that but I remember it differently. The way I remember is they show mench arrive at the ballpark, follow him thru to the locker room - I agree much like a WWE moment. I remember being down like 3 runs and we had 2 runners on with 1 out. Mench just was moving so slowwwwwww. I was so pumped up and thought that he could have come into that ballgame and been a hero. Things like that live forever in milwaukee. Instead he took all night to put on his gloves and the game was over. Id agree that that is my most "memorable" moment - although its kind of a crappy memory.

Instead he took all night to put on his gloves and the game was over. Id agree that that is my most "memorable" moment - although its kind of a crappy memory.

Yea I think you're right. Did he get on the on deck circle or anything? I thought he was "close" to getting an at bat. I loved his entrance though. He was a superstar for a day.

So we in essence traded carlos lee and nelson cruz for the draft picks we are getting from the reds.

The only way in which that is true is if you assign zero value to having the year and a half of Cordero at below-market price (and the year and a half of Mench, less of a bargain). (Year and two months, if you prefer.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I always thought he got a bad rap - it wasn't his fault Ned kept playing him against righties.

I'm sure he'll be booed when he returns to MP.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So we in essence traded carlos lee and nelson cruz for the draft picks we are getting from the reds. Not one player in that trade is on the brewers now. Or is Julian Cordero still in our system.

We traded 1/2 a season of Lee for 1 1/2 seasons of all star caliber closer and a useful, if over paid, platoon player and two draft picks. What we would have got had we not traded him would have been two draft picks from Houston. Just because the players we get in a trade aren't around for the next ten years doesn't mean it was a bad trade.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived