Brewer Fanatic

Regarding The New And "Improved" Brewers

bigbrewkahuna

wallus wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just like the fact that Doug has been able to do all of this without losing us any draft picks, keeping flexibility for year (maybe even more picks then) and improving the team. I also really happy to see Estrada go. The only thing left is to acquire one more big bat and then trade the excess pitching.

I agree with aquiring the big bat. If we need to trade pitching to do so then I'm with it. I don't think we need to trade pitching simply because of the numbers we have though. I'd be very happy wiht Parra in AAA and the others taking roles in the bullpen competing for a job. If we have Shouse, Riske, Gagne, Turnbow and Torres as locks that gives the Brewers two spots open for competition. One of Cappy, Vargas and Bush will make the roation. Thats gives the Brewers two guys to compete with guys like Mota, Stetter and McClung to compete for the last two spots. That to me sounds better than handing a job to the likes of McCLung or Mota. If you keep both the two losers of the ratation competition in the pen that gives the Brewers all that much more depth in AAA in a spot that should be deep in AAA. If we can get something of more need like a good young catcerh with it I'm fine with it. I just don't think we should trade the excess simply because it appears to be excess att his point in time.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think this response belongs in this thread.

I guess as far as overall performance, I feel last year's BP may be better. However, I feel more comfortable this year because we have many options if one pitcher doesn't perform. Last year, if Cordero had blown up in a couple straight games, Turnbow was really our only option. This year, if Gagne fails, we can go to Riske, Turnbow, Torres, or Mota. There are more options this year than last year, even if the "closer" spot may not be as dominant.

Having 4-5 solid relievers is way better than the 2-3 we had last year. Gives more options in the 6th and 7th innings.

I agree. Last season we had Shouse/Turnbow/Cordero then later Linebrink to cover innings 7-9. Once villy went into the rotation and Wise went MIA, we had no established relievers for innings 5,6 and sometimes 7.

Now we have Gagne/Riske/Shouse and T-bow for the 7,8,9th. That leaves Torres, and either Mota/Wise to cover the 6/7th, with a long reliever (ie Parra, Bush) thrown in. It gives more room to "play the hot hand" in terms of the pen. We don't have to rely on Spurling/Aquino/McClung/Stetter for high leverage situations, unless they earn that right.

Another good sign for the 2008 bullpen, courtesy of Doug, in a veiled fashion:

"The Brewers must remove a player from their 40-man roster to make room for Gagne, and a big clue came when he was given uniform No. 38. Reliever Matt Wise, who had worn that number, probably will not be tendered a contract for 2008 by the Wednesday deadline."

That's cold. The result suits me just fine, but still...

I also offer 2 other (unscientific) reasons why Gagne was off-kilter in Boston:

1) He is said to have an ego...which is fine for a shut-em-down closer type. And ever since he became the Dodger closer, he has been The Man, counted on to close out games. In Boston, they weren't going to demote Papelbon, so he was now a face in the crowd. I would imagine that wouldn't sit well with him. Here, he'll be more comfortable.

2) He was forced, in Boston, to wear #83. He's apparently always had a comfort zone wearing #38, but Schilling clearly outranked him there. It's a silly little thing, but it was yet another sign he had nearly zero status on the Red Sox.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I think we still need a reliever to fill the multi inning role that Villy filled last year. I think either Bush or Cappy can fill that role. Villy filled 2 spots in the pen last year. He was our multi inning close game guy and our relief ace. I think if we had another guy for the relief ace role last year he wouldn't hve worn down and become ineffective around the all star break. Right now I see our bulpen as having lost 2 guys and added 4.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived