Brewer Fanatic

Austin Kearns

Does the recent activity of the Washington Nationals make LF Austin Kearns availabe? They traded for Lastings Millege, locked up Willy Mo Pena, Traded for Elijah Dukes, and selected an OF in the Rule 5 draft (major league portion) so don't they have to keep him on their 25 man roster? Along w/Ryan Langerhans and Nook Logan, that makes 6 or 7 OF's for 4-5 spots.

The Nationals lack of good pitching makes us ideal partners: Kearns for Capuano or Vargas.

Kearns stats .266/ .355/ .411 16 HR, 74 RBI, 71 BB/106 K, 35 2B while playing in the enormous RFK stadium.

Home/Road Splits (Road in bold) .228/.330/ .365 SLG .301/ .378/ . 454 SLG

From a Nationals Mailbag: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071015&content_id=2266351&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Do you think right fielder Austin Kearns and third baseman Ryan Zimmerman are deserving of Gold Gloves this year?

-- Creed B., Scranton, Pa.

There is no question in my mind that they deserve to win Gold Gloves. Zimmerman is the best defensive third baseman I've ever seen. It's rare that Kearns makes a mistake in right field. He has a great arm and range. He is willing to give up his body to make a catch.

While I'd be on-board with a Kearns trade, the problem with it is that it doesn't really address the Braun issue.

Hall at 3rd, Hart in CF, Braun in LF, Kearns in RF. I'd say adding another outfielder to let Hall move to 3rd is good too.

It's weird though because I had a dream last night that Austin Kearns was traded to the Brewers. Man my dreams suck.

Hall at 3rd, Hart in CF, Braun in LF, Kearns in RF. I'd say adding another outfielder to let Hall move to 3rd is good too.

Good point, assuming that they'd actually be willing to do that. At this point they've said it's been discussed, but I personally doubt that they'd move Hall back.

Good point, assuming that they'd actually be willing to do that. At this point they've said it's been discussed, but I personally doubt that they'd move Hall back.

To me it sounds like they're aggresively pursuing 3rd basemen which means to me that they realize Braun's defense was horrible and that they need to improve it somehow so I think they may actually consider moving Hall if they can't find a 3rd baseman and have to go looking for an outfielder.

While the Brewers obviously understand Braun's deficiencies on defense, Melvin quoted that he was pursuing 3B at the Winter Mtgs because he wasn't enthralled by any of the LF options available. I think that there is still a good possibility that we'll land a LF and Braun will play 3B next season. For some reason, the Brewers seem unwilling to move Hall to 3B, hart to CF and Braun to LF, as obvious a fix as that seems to everyone else.

Compared to Ethier, Kearns is two years older, makes $3,500,000 (2007 salary) vs. pre-arby / league minimum and had a worse offensive season last year (.765 OPS vs. .802). They both get on base about the same, but Ethier hits with more power. I don't know the difference in their defense, but it would need to be substantial to make up for the fact that Ethier seems to have the advantage in all other areas.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Compared to Ethier, Kearns is two years older, makes $3,500,000 (2007 salary) vs. pre-arby / league minimum and had a worse offensive season last year (.765 OPS vs. .802). They both get on base about the same, but Ethier hits with more power. I don't know the difference in their defense, but it would need to be substantial to make up for the fact that Ethier seems to have the advantage in all other areas.

Kearns is a top 5 defensive corner OFer, so I think you could argue the defensive value and lesser overall talent it would take to trade for him would make Kearns the more attractive target. Though if we are bent on getting a LHB, that elimiates Kearns from the discussion.

Wait - sbryl likes Kearns?

I guess if we're seeking a LH bat exclusively, then Austin's out. I'd love to see him in a Brewer uni, though, as he'd provide everything we need (OBP, D, etc.) from the OF spot, and likely come at a lower cost than some other options.

But it might be more valuable/impactful to land a 3B in order to move Braun's 'glove' off third.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While the Brewers obviously understand Braun's deficiencies on defense, Melvin quoted that he was pursuing 3B at the Winter Mtgs because he wasn't enthralled by any of the LF options available.

Melvin (and Ash) also said he wasn't actively pursuing options to serve as the team's closer and that Turnbow was the team's closer moving forward.

I don't buy the argument that there aren't too many good LF options available, as we have discussed quite a few different names on these boards and there are plenty of options to be had. I'd say the 3B market is a lot thinner than the one for an OF.

As for Kearns, Bowden historically likes to carry at least four solid (starting caliber) outfielders, so as much as it seems as though the Nationals have a glut, don't be surprised to see them carry six on next year's active roster.

Archived