Brewer Fanatic

Andre Ethier

Hall & Cappy for LaRoche & Ethier would be perfect.

I've seen this thrown out there a lot, and I think it's way off. I would like to add Eithier for Capuano, but I'm not sure I'd give up Hall for him. Secondly, the Dodgers are not looking to trade Laroche. Quite frankly, that would be like the Brewers shopping Braun 2 years ago for an average albeit versitile, established major-leaguer. Now Laroche isn't in Braun's category either as a hitter or overall prospect status, but he's not far off. Simply put, there's not a chance the Dodgers would do this. By all accounts, He has a very realistic chance of becoming a .300 hitter with 30 HR power in a couple years. It would have to be more like Cappy, Hall, Parra, and one of Escobar/Gamel/Irabarren for Eithier, Laroche, and a RP prospect, which I would not do.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After thinking about it a long time, I wouldn't be interested in Ethier either. Kemp's the guy. If they don't want to part with Kemp I'd back out. Ethier isn't a long term solution, and I don't see much improvement in the short run. Kemp on the other hand could be a marginal All-Star for more than a few years.

I agree - I'd much rather find a way to get Kemp. Ethier isn't much of (if at all) an upgrade over Hall.

the love that so many show Ethier is almost scary, what has this guy done to have so many have man-love for him?

I'd much rather have Kemp, who is destined to be a star.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think a main attraction (and maybe what makes Ethier more realistic) is DM's preference for a lefty to fill the 3b/LF hole. Kemp is no doubt the better player but he is right handed and would cost more in trade wheras Ethier is a lefty cheaper and fills the need for an OBP guy.

It's less about Ethier as a better player and more about Ethier as a better fit.

I really hope we don't trade Hall, his value is at a low point and I think he's going to bounce back. That said, if we do move him, I would much rather see Kemp come back than Eithier. I think both will be good players, but Kemp could be something special.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Ethier - .317/.389/.464 in Minors, .295/.357/.464 in majors. 25 years old. I guess I fail to see how people don't think those are decent prospect numbers. You are looking at Hart without the SB's.

I'm not some huge Ethier fan and I'd also rather have Kemp, but I don't see why people are so down on Ethier. He'd be a very servicable OF, he's left handed which is what we want and he has a good OBP history which is what we need.

I think a Hall/pitcher for Ethier/LaRoche deal would fill the Brewers needs very well, and pretty much fill the last of our holes/needs.

I'd definitely like for that pitcher to not be Capuano, but I'm not sure if Hall/Vargas gets it done.

Interesting, PF. Would you rather the SP be Bush? Because I agree Vargas wouldn't get it done. Though, if he did, he's obviously the best choice - highest paid of the 3 + lowest performance of the 3.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not some huge Ethier fan and I'd also rather have Kemp, but I don't see why people are so down on Ethier. He'd be a very servicable OF, he's left handed which is what we want and he has a good OBP history which is what we need.

I'm not anti-Ethier, per se, but I think that might be best explained by the serviceable tag you applied above. Hall is one year removed from arguably being the best SS in the NL, still young, and signed to a very affordable contract. Personally, I'd hope for more than serviceable in return for a trade for Billy, but I also think he'll rebound at the plate and in the field.

I'd rather move Billy to 3B and get Ethier for some pitching/prospect package. Again, Kemp would be preferable and seems to have a higher ceiling, but Ethier is likely a better fit, as you posited above.

Interesting, PF. Would you rather the SP be Bush? Because I agree Vargas wouldn't get it done.

I guess I'd prefer to add a prospect or two to the deal, if necessary. They might well bite on Hall/Vargas/Gamel, or something to that effect.

Interesting, PF. Would you rather the SP be Bush? Because I agree Vargas wouldn't get it done.

I guess I'd prefer to add a prospect or two to the deal, if necessary. They might well bite on Hall/Vargas/Gamel, or something to that effect.

I would love that trade. It would save us a bunch of money and setup a very nice and young lineup. Not to mention, Cappy could be a great 5th starter.

Lineup: Weeks, Ethier, Braun, Fielder, Hart, LaRoche, Hardy, Kendall
Rotation:
Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, Capuano

Bullpen: Shouse, Wise, Mota, Torres, Turnbow, Riske, Gagne

Sign me up!

Edit: Ah! I didn't even include Bush and Parra on the pitching staff. There could be some good competition this spring!

I think some people take an .800 OPS for granted. Last season, there were only 31 OFs with an .800+ OPS, or basically one per team. Ehier was #31 with an .802 OPS. His .350 OBP / .452 SLG are about equal to what Randy Winn did, only Ethier is a lot younger, cheaper and more likely to improve as he enters his prime.

I just can't see Melvin trading Billy Hall as that really wouldn't solve anything. We'd still have Braun at 3B and Gross/Dillon in LF. If he can be had for some combination of our excess pitching and / or prospects, I'm all for it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm not so sure the Brewers would want to slot Braun into RF, and I know Ethier is in LF due to defensive concerns. So, while in theory I'd love that lineup, I don't know how plausible it really is. Does Ethier really possess the abilities to man RF?

Ethier started 91 games in RF last year with 8 outfield assists from that position (and 2 more from leftfield) with a .979 FP (.981 league average from RF), 1.80 RFg (1.81 league average) and 2.12 RF9 (2.18 league average). So he seems at least adequate out there.

The qualifier differentiating RF vs. LF is arm strength. Eight assists either means he has a good arm or he has a bad arm and everyone runs on him. Does anyone know which it is?

Offensively, we'd be above average at every position except catcher, which could be pretty fun to watch

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Thanks, bf82. I appreciate that. THT has Ethier at a .918 RZR, with 31 OOZ plays. That RZR puts him right with Randy Winn (.916, 34 OOZ, 3 OF assists), but Winn's Fld% was .991. Basically, Ethier looks to be average to above-average defensively, which puzzles me as to why I read that he's not great on D.

Fwiw, Luke Scott is right there with Ethier... identical RZR, with 29 OOZ plays.

I'd be happy w/ Ethier, as long as we didn't have to give up Hall, we have enough extra starting pitching to acquire him w/ out having to give up Hall. Lets say we got him for Capuano or Bush, then we can move Hall to 3rd, and have an OF of Braun/Hart/Ethier. Then both our offense and defense is improved. I'd still rather have Rolen.

I like Ethier, but wouldn't we get similar production from a Gross/Dillon platoon?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

i'm thinking the same thing X...

Gross and somebody would come really close to matching an .800 ops with a .350 obp...

he's not a very exciting options, but the Jobe Grillon is as good as most of the options we've seen go by...

i'm thinking the same thing X...

Gross and somebody would come really close to matching an .800 ops with a .350 obp...

he's not a very exciting options, but the Jobe Grillon is as good as most of the options we've seen go by...

I agree, we could just go with a platoon.

But I'd like that platoon at 3B. How about a Jank Dillock platoon? Braun in LF. Gross as top backup OF. Improved defense and depth all around.

I agree, we could just go with a platoon.

But I'd like that platoon at 3B. How about a Jank Dillock platoon? Braun in LF. Gross as top backup OF. Improved defense and depth all around.

I like a Hoe Blallon platoon better.

Archived