Brewer Fanatic

Andre Ethier

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he's a LF at best, would Braun be moved to RF then? Hart to CF? I would have no problem with Hart in CF, he looked above average out there last year, if it's Hall, Capuano, and maybe more, i think they may as well go after Kemp who is the true stud OF, I will agree Ethier is good, but I would say his max line for next year would be something like .290 / .355 / .460 if playing full time , granted that's good, but why not go for Kemp who is the better overall hitter and a lot better fielder? yes , i do realize it would cost a lot more

Hall and Capuano would be an absolutely ridiculous amount to give up for Andre Ethier. I'd be mega pissed if they gave that up.

Ethier's a decent player, but he's hardly someone you trade two established players for (including one that is signed to a very team-friendly deal).

The only players I've heard linked to LA are Hall and Sheets, Melvin confirmed that he had discussed Hall with them, but said Sheets' name had never come up.

I've seen reports that both Tampa Bay and Texas are interested in Ethier, but no mention of who they may be offering.

I think if we come out of this offseason with Kemp or Ethier in RF, Braun in LF, and Rolen at 3B, Melvin should just about have Executive of the Year wrapped up...Capuano + Escobar to Cards for Rolen (w/ Cardinals covering all the deferred money AND giving us 6-8 mil), Hall + Low A-Ball prospect for Ethier (he may be somewhat of a stud prospect, but this should be MORE than enough to get this done as he is as yet unproven). I would prefer to do the deal without Hall, but we would obviously have no place to play him if we got Ethier AND Rolen, and I think he is the only guy the Dodgers really want.

Lineup Bench Rotation Bullpen
2B Weeks C Rivera Sheets CL Gagne
3B Rolen OF Gross Gallardo SU Riske
LF Braun IF/OF Dillon Suppan SU Torres
1B Fielder IF Counsell Villanueva SU Turnbow
RF/CF Hart Parra/Bush SU Mota
RF/CF Ethier MR McClung
SS Hardy LR Parra/Bush
C Kendall LOOGY Shouse
P P

I agree that 13 pitchers may be unlikely, but given the flexibility that Dillon provides I think they could pull it off. Melvin seems intent on making the bullpen last all 162 this year, and therefore likely wants to give Ned as many options as possible out there. Also, I could not remember whether teams usually go between 11 and 12 pitchers, or 12 and 13, so that may explain me putting 13 as well...

Don't get all the man love for Ethier here. Could someone please fill me in why he's so good? He's not particularly young (will be 26), and has not had any jaw dropping stats in the minors or majors. He had one nice season in the Texas League, but that's about it. Maybe I'm missing something here, but he looks like a Mark Kotsay type to me. I don't really "get" Matt Kemp either, you'd think he was a young Dave Parker or something. Seems that both guys have already stirred up some clubhouse trouble already in their young careers too. Pass.

Ethier a clubhouse trouble? That's news to me, you have an example for us? He's a solid player, no jaw dropping player, but granted we had a ridiculous amount of homers last year I don't see why he wouldn't be good enough until LaPorta is ready unless we trade Hall to get him. He's always been solid, batted over .300 throughout his stay in the minors with a nice career minor league OBP of .390 and has a career .295 MLB batting average and a decent obp of about .360. Personally I'd rather run him out there than Gabe Gross or Gwynn.

I thought Ethier was involved with the sniping back and forth with Jeff Kent.

In any case, I don't see how Ethier would be an upgrade over Bill Hall. I think this team needs more veterans anyway. They've already got enough guys in the lineup with only one or two full years in the big leagues.

After thinking about it a long time, I wouldn't be interested in Ethier either. Kemp's the guy. If they don't want to part with Kemp I'd back out. Ethier isn't a long term solution, and I don't see much improvement in the short run. Kemp on the other hand could be a marginal All-Star for more than a few years.

I stand corrected. A cursory Google search revealed that Ethier wasn't involved in the stuff with Kent. I still wouldn't trade Hall for him though. If the Dodgers wanted Capuano or some other spare parts like Vargas and/or prospects I could be intrigued, but it doesn't seem like he will come cheaply.

I think Ethier is a reasonable player to acquire assuming LA is interested in pitching. He's got the slightly above average defense and OBP that I think we should be targeting. That said I think a better fit might be the Nationals and Austin Kearns. They brought in all those other OF and they could certainly use pitching. I say give the a choice of Capuano or Bush and either Aquino or Wise. I think in practice that way more pitching then you'd typically see for a position player. However Kearns has a great defensive track record and OBP to boot. The chain of defensive shifts seems like a lot, but in reality it only means Braun learning a new position and the least important one on the diamond in LF. Hall has a MLB track record of being an averagish 3rd basemen no speculation. Hart also posted averagish numbers as a CF, and Kearns is well above average in RF. Even if you assume that Braun is the worst LF in the majors you still come out a good 30 runs ahead.

Archived