Brewer Fanatic

Ian Stewart

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers need a 3B and LH bat.

Ian Stewart has been a top prospect - was once one of the top 10 prospects in the game - and fits the bill. He hit .304 in the minors last (colorado springs), and while he hasn't developed the power people thought he would, he looks like a good player.

Anyone know what the Rockies plans are for him? They haven't dealt Atkins, so he currently is blocked. Would Colorado even consider moving him.

How is his defense?

Any thoughts on what we would have to deal to get him? Don't know their team that well, and was curious as to what it might take. I know it won't be cheap, but we have some pitching, so I was just curious as to what folks thought.

Thanks.

Great idea. In the minors, he walked about 10% of the time, which is quite solid, but probably won't be a high average guy in the majors. I think he could put up a .260 / .350 / .450 line next season. Nothing great, but he'll be cheap. Unfortunately, I think he defense would be described as simply "average" - but I could be wrong.

They could probably use SPing. I'd offer Capuano+2nd tier prospect. I'm not sure.

Stewart still is a top prospect, and I would be surprised if the Rockies dealt him. If they did, I'm guessing the package would not be one most Brewers fans would be comfortable with.

As for Stewart and 2B, if they truly felt confident with him moving there, the Rockies probably wouldn't be investigating most 2B options that are currently available. He still could be returned to AAA for regular playing time, he could come off of the bench to receive regular playing time as a super-sub, or he may get more regular playing time should the team find a package to their liking if they were to move current 3B Garrett Atkins or even RF Brad Hawpe, a destination that isn't out of the question for Stewart.

Considering Matt Holliday could be one of the bigger FAs available at this time next year, particularly as a Boras client, I'm guessing the Rockies aren't in any hurry to move Stewart as he could become the most logical replacement for Holliday. Should the Rockies come to a contract extension with Holliday, someone else has gotta go, and my money is on either Atkins and Hawpe who are also going to get mighty expensive sooner rather than later (both are arby eligible this offseason and stand to enjoy huge pay raises).

The Rockies clearly don't want him, as they have yet to give him a legit chance, and they're about to sign Iguchi, lessening his chances even more.

They haven't given him a legit chance because he is blocked as I noted just above. That has nothing to do with the Rockies wanting him or not. Saying they clearly don't want him is a huge stretch.

Stewart made 26 errors in 112 games at AAA. Isn't that about what Braun did as a Brewer?

I'd also discount his numbers compiled in Colorado Springs. That's no different than hitting in Coors.

In the short term, Dillon would be a better option at third.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stewart still is a top prospect, and I would be surprised if the Rockies dealt him. If they did, I'm guessing the package would not be one most Brewers fans would be comfortable with.

Colby, what would you consider a solid swap for Stewart? I know he's a superior prospect, so offering a handful of spare parts wouldn't work. But what works?

My initial thought is Cappy and something else?

Parra could be a start - a young starting pitcher - but I'm not sure of his real value. Bill Hall would work for them at 2B (but that opens another hole for us). Just curious as to what you thought it would take.

Thanks.

Good question reillymcshane, but in this sense I don't think the Brewers and Rockies match up very well. Prospects are rarely swapped for one another, and the Brewers and Rockies are almost in the same identical boat. If the Brewers really wanted Stewart I think it would have to be for an expanded deal for Ben Sheets, and I just don't see that happening.

Sheets for Fuentes and Stewart? Would Brewers fans do that trade, and would the Rockies since they're giving up quite a few years of control over Stewart for one year of Sheets?

Archived