Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Eric Gagne (1y/10M, +1M in incentives)

mrwisconsin
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bobcesca.com/images/strange-brew.jpg

Push off, ya hoser!

Maybe we can use that in reference to Gagne pushing off from the rubber? Ahhh - I know, it's a stretch. I just love that movie, and that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

wow, i've never realized just how much Melvin says "and that"! I found myself giggling like a schoolgirl several times during this press conference. I absolutely love this signing and love that Gagne pointed out that people around baseball are taking notice of the entire organization.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Gagne's uniform number is 38. Not a good omen for Wise.
I really hope Wise is given another chance. Despite his troubles last year, he is only a couple of years removed from being one of the better setup men in the league. I really think he will bounce back if given another chance. But with this new and improved pen, it might be tough. Maybe he could be a good long man, he has started on occasion in the past.

Gagne's uniform number is 38. Not a good omen for Wise.
I really hope Wise is given another chance. Despite his troubles last year, he is only a couple of years removed from being one of the better setup men in the league. I really think he will bounce back if given another chance. But with this new and improved pen, it might be tough. Maybe he could be a good long man, he has started on occasion in the past.

While I am not ready to give up on Wise his 2005 stats were just pure and simple luck. He had a .813 DER (.197 BABIP) that season which isn't anywhere near sustainable for anyone. Last season is probably what to expect out of him, a 4ish ERA in relief and low IP since he is fragile.

Melvin learned from Torres Monday the right-hander will accept the trade the Brewers made with Pittsburgh Friday. To make room for Torres, the Brewers designated outfielder Kevin Mench for assignment, meaning they have 10 days to trade Mench.

The Brewers did not announce a corresponding roster move for the Gagne signing, but Gagne wore a No. 38 uniform during his introductory news conference, indicating that reliever Matt Wise is likely to be designated for assignment or released today.

From the same WSJ article. Apparently Mench has been DFA'ed? Good to know.

first off let me say that I think Wise needs a change of scenery, but I still like him, however, here is a thought. Remember he used to wear number 26 before Damian Miller came on in 2005, maybe since Miller is now gone, he will go back to number 26? It is a thought?

I wouldn't be terribly stunned to see the Brewers non-tender Wise and bring him in with an NRI (or at least at a lower pay level).

And yeah, I'd say a switch back to 26 is fairly likely if he does actually stay with the team. Should find out today, I assume.

Tidbits from Brian Anderson:

Brian Anderson: Welcome to the Brewers, Eric. What was the key in making the decision to come to Milwaukee?

Eric Gagne: First of all, it's a team that's going to get to the playoffs. I want to win and it's hard to "save" losses. It's my goal to help a young team get to the playoffs.

Second, it's the energy and the way they play the game. They're really young, really energized and that's what I like. It makes ME feel young again. I think it's a really good mix of players and when I saw Jason Kendall signed here, I saw they were going in the right direction.

BA: Can you comment on Milwaukee's attractiveness as a Free Agent destination, now?

Gagne: I think players see Milwaukee very differently now. I know I do. Players used to look at the Brewers not as a destination, but as a last resort. But now, especially after last year, I think they're really close to the ultimate goal, which is a World Series. If you look at the guys on the roster, it's a great mix. They've got a lot of really good pitchers. A true #1 in Ben Sheets. It's an exciting team and an exciting place to be.

BA: There are a lot of questions about your past injuries. How healthy are you?

Gagne I am 100% healthy! I've been telling all my friends how good it feels to be able to do what I need to do to get ready for spring training. The last two off-season's, I was just trying to physically be able to pitch. Now, I'm ready to pitch. I'm ready to go. I can run when I want to run, workout when I want to workout. I can concentrate on just getting stronger every day.

BA: What kind of off-season workout regimen do you have?

Gagne: A lot of running, a lot of cardio, a lot of lifting. I changed (my routine) after my back injury. I can get big pretty easily so I'm trying to keep my weight off to protect my back. I do yoga. I'm lucky that I'm very flexible. I have my own trainer who used to be the Dodgers trainer so he's known me for eight years and (puts me through) a lot of different stuff.

BA: What kind of process will it be getting to know new teammates this spring?

Gagne: It'll be the same as it was last year in Texas. Last year, I was really nervous about going to a different organization. I didn't know what to expect. With a bunch of new guys, it takes a little time to get to know each other. I take a lot of pride in a good bullpen. Whether it's something I'm trying to teach (my teammates) or something I'm trying to learn from them. Spring training is going to be good time to get to know a lot of new guys and I think it will be easier than people think.

BA: You will be reunited with former teammates in Mike Maddux and Guillermo Mota? Since you know him as well as anyone, what can you tell us about Mota?

Gagne: We were teammates with the Dodgers. I had a really good relationship with him. I think he can be a great pitcher. He throws hard with a great changeup. He's very durable. He can go two innings everyday and you don't see that in baseball much anymore. He'll give you a lot of quality innings and is going to be a great addition to the bullpen.

BA: You mentioned Jason Kendall, what is your history with him?

Gagne: I don't know him personally, but I know him as a catcher. I see the mix of young guys that are here and I see the bullpen is really deep. But, when you add Kendall to that...that's a good mix. I think Jason Kendall is a really good leader. He knows how to control a ballgame and that's important.

BA: Tell us about your relationship with Derrick Turnbow?

Gagne That's a good one. Derrick's wife (Becca) helped deliver my last baby. She was the nurse at the hospital. My baby's name is Bluu. Becca helped deliver her two years ago...a pretty small world, huh?

I played golf with Derrick once. I had only known him on the field and had my own ideas of what he was like. I thought he was going to be a mean guy but he's a really good guy. He's awesome...a funny guy.

BA: Speaking of good guys who have a mean persona...how about your presence on the mound as the closer?

Gagne: It's just me. It's me between the lines. People think the same thing about me that I thought about (Turnbow). They tell me I'm a mean guy. I'm a competitor. Anytime I've got the ball in my hand, I want to beat the guy who's trying to hit me. I think that's what makes a competitor able to take it to the next level when that adrenaline kicks in. It's an unbelievable feeling to know that you're out there in the ninth inning...you're the last guy out there...and if you fail, the whole team loses and the fans are mad. (Persona) is not something you can act. That's just me. I go on the mound, I'm really aggressive and I don't want to lose. I hate losing.

I read a comment from Wise a month or so ago that he didn't expect Milwaukee to offer him arby. If he felt that way with the bullpen still in a mess, I don't think there's much chance he's around next season. It's too bad, as he's a talented pitcher. I really hope he's able to pull it back together and get over the beaning incident. I'd expect he'll sign with a team without playoff expectations next season, that can let him work out his problems on the mound.

As for Gagne, it's good to see that he's already got a good relationship with Turnbow. as that can only help T-Bow keep his head on straight next year. It also sounds like he (and other FAs) are looking at Milwaukee a lot differently than in the past... another very good sign.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived