Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Eric Gagne (1y/10M, +1M in incentives)

mrwisconsin
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parra+Gwynn+Gamel

Could that net us a big fish? Like a Bedard/Haren? If so, I'll be the "John Handcock" and sign this thing super big.

Not enough talent to get a big time pitcher like Bedard or Haren. I think it could get us a solid #3 type pitcher.

I love Parra but is injury history hurts his value. IMO he has more value to the Brewers staying here.

Gwynn has no value since he can only play d and pinch run.

Not real sure on Gamel but from what I read here is that he struggles on the D so he might have to move to OF which would lessen his value.

I lived in LA and watched the Dodgers plenty during the spectacular rise and fall of Gagne. There was a time when he was God-like. And then they paid him five million bucks per inning he pitched in 2006 and the lustre was gone.

Have you guys wondered why Eric Gagne is signing with the Brewers only a couple years after comparing us to a AAA team? Is it because of Prince and Braun? Maybe, maybe not.

Gagne has had some serious nerve damage in his elbow (three surgeries incl. TJ) and had some serious back problems (at least one surgery - two herniated discs...). He has a lot to prove. Still, he will be happier here as a closer than being a set-up man/goat in Boston. Plus, he can wear his customary number 38.

But you still gotta think that this was the only offer out there that gave Gagne any respect.

If he passes the physical and he can throw a pitch without screaming like a baby duck, great. This inning. But what about next inning? And the next? I hope he can remain healthy and still has some gas in his tank. Otherwise, he's a big expensive gamble. Still, a smart one for the Brewers. If Gagne (and the team) has any success, the fans will be all over this team next season. And that means profit$!!!

If not, I sure hope he pitches more than the two innings he pitched last time he earned this kind of money...

Have you guys wondered why Eric Gagne is signing with the Brewers only a couple years after comparing us to a AAA team? Is it because of Prince and Braun? Maybe, maybe not.
I don't get why everybody is still so hung up on this. A few years ago when he said we were actually pretty damn close to a AAA team. I think the improvement in ownership and talent brought him here of course I'm kidding we were probably offering the most money.

I'm not obsessed with the AAA thing at all. I think it is funny. (and true... those were some bad teams...)

I was just mentioning it to point to Gagne's state of mind. That's all. The Brewers are the only team who will pay him what he wants to be paid and give him the closer job he wants - even if it is only for this year. So, Gagne will sign with a team he used to make fun of.

So. Why are the Brewers the only team willing to pay him that money and hand him the closer role? BECAUSE he used to make fun of them.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anyway, the important thing to note is that not only did I live in LA and watch Gagne's spectacular rise and fall, but so did Mark Attanasio.

"What kind of free agent destination has Milwaukee become?"

"It's changed. People around baseball know its changed"

Not word for word, but I thought it was interesting answer because of his previous comments.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

dang, i missed it. Anyone know if it will be archived?

I'm sure they'll archive it. The press conference just got finished so I'd wait an hour or two and then check back. I must say he looks excellent in the dark blue Brewers jersey.

Does Doug Melvin even realize that Matt Wise is still on the team? The acquisition of Mota makes me wonder. At least I can still cheer for number 38 to make fools of flailing hitters with a changeup. Honestly, no lanky pitcher has made power hitters look like buffoons better than the Wise Man.

So since he was given #38, is it a foregone conclusion that Matt Wise is a goner?

I noticed the 38 thing to, but the more telling sign was that Melvin not once mentioned Wise when he talked about how deep the pen was.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

So since he was given #38, is it a foregone conclusion that Matt Wise is a goner?

Not necessarily. The Brewers gave Jason Kendall #18 and that was Gross' number before so I don't think this is some indication that Wise will be gone.

Archived