Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Eric Gagne (1y/10M, +1M in incentives)

mrwisconsin
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While speaking of the Brewers financial situation, John Canning Jr., 11% owner of the Brewers is a leading candidate to buy the Cubs. I don't know if the sale of his interest to the other partners would make them feel like they have less to spend on players.

Can't wait until this giveaway...

Unfortunatly, you probably never will. I doubt that they would plan a bobblehead day for him during his first year on the club, not knowing what type of year he will have.

I already have that bobblehead, of course, it is in his real dodgers jersey.

But it is possible for him to have a bobblehead, there are a lot of teams that do bobbles of guys in their first years with a team, if you want me to find examples of other teams I can, but just off the top of my head, Carlos Lee had a bobblehead in September of 2005, it was announced in March, and didn't that trade happen in December? of 2004, so it is possible. Certaintly.

I think a major point that hasn't been brought up is that Mr A does have another business. it's not like all of his eggs are in the brewers. I recal l Steinbrenner, Busch , gene Autry, and turner all operated their baseball teams at a loss, knowing they had income coming in from other sources. To them, their baseball team was a tax write off. Who is to say that owning the brewers is not also a tax write off for mr A? Although, if it were, at least he's been making a great profit for the past three years. I recall the last three years of the Selig ownership. Those years were pretty lean years for his car industry as well. Selig didn't have any real extra cash to pump into the brewers. Those last three years of selig's ownership were also some lean years for the other brewers' investors. I think the economy has changed for the brewers' ownership. And they can afford to take less profits from the brewers.
Selig had been out of the car business for years basically. He only had his leasing company going and that was mostly to wring more money out of the Brewers as he used his lease company as the Brewers provider.

If Gagne closes, they definitely need to play "Welcome to the Jungle" at Miller Park like they did in LA.

Along with the "Game Over" on the Video Board. I am just looking forward to him pitching in Milwaukee. I can't wait to see that nasty change. I know the velocity may not be the same as before but I am really excited.

Gagne, Torres, Mota - all one year deals. Gotta love that.

OK let's see.. Let's assume a 12 man staff... Mota, Torres, Turnbow, Gagne, Riske, Shouse I think are locks for the BP.

Sheets, Suppan, YO and Villy are locks for the rotation.

Aquino or McClung can get non-tendered or start the year in AAA. I just don't see a spot for them.

I like Parra in Nashville to start the season, he is cheap and has options.

That leaves Cappy/Vargas/Bush/Wise -- 2 of them we need, 2 of them need to get dumped.

I don't have strong feelings about any of these -- I think any of them excluding Wise, would make a decent 5th for the rotation, or a long relief option. Wise seems like the odd man out here. I'd rather keep Cappy, as it would be nice to have a LHP in the rotation. I'd keep Vargas as long relief or rotation insurance, as I think Bush would be more attractive as trade bait. Although I'd trade Vargas the second showed interest in him.

I think these one-year deals have a huge risk to them as well. The thing that jumps out at me -- is that Gagne/Mota/Torres/Turnbow/Shouse (basically everyone but Riske) are all probably be gone in 2009 so we will get to do this all again -- and the price tag will be higher. I think PF is right though that this kills the Rolen deal -- if not for 2008, but 2009 when we have to replace all these guys.

I like Riske-Gagne a lot -- I still don't understand Mota/Torres -- a lot of risk for that $6.4M

Bush and Cappy are the obvious guys to make the team. Cappy can start and Bush can be the long guy in the pen until Sheets goes on the DL. I thought we had too many pitchers, but after really thinking about it, I think we are fine now. Odds are 1 pitcher will get injured (Sheets) and 1 pitcher will stink it up (Cappy) so that is were Bush and Parra come in. Having depth in the starting rotation is something most teams can't afford - I don't think we should just throw it away.

I actually think you are wrong about one thing. Villanueva is not a lock for the starting rotation. I could easily see him getting beat out by Bush or Cappy and find him self in the BP again this year. Fact of the matter is I think Ned loved his production in the pen and loved his security. Having a RP capable of going several innings or keeping you in a tight game like CV did last year has to be pretty tempting to Ned.

Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Bush, Cappy

Riske, Shouse, Turnbow, Gagne, and CV are locks to make the BP.

I think Torres, Mota, McClung, Vargas, and Wise are fighting for those last two spots. Torres might retire, he's in injury risk...he could easily start the season on the DL. Mota was going to be cut by the Mets if we didn't trade for him. Mota is likely to make the team but if he stinks it up in spring training it would not shock me one bit to see him cut. Sure the Brewers will want to keep both RP's due to their high salaries, but fact of the matter is both have serious issues/question marks. Don't forget Gagne is also an injury risk. Oh yea and so is Sheets. So I think we need the depth that we have right now.

If I'm Melvin I go out and find the best defensive 3rd basemen OR CF I can find with out giving up any of our starters.

I actually think you are wrong about one thing. Villanueva is not a lock for the starting rotation. I could easily see him getting beat out by Bush or Cappy and find him self in the BP again this year.

I'd say the chances of this happening are quite small. While Villanueva showed he has nice value from the 'pen, he has even more in the rotation.

EDIT: Basically, Villy in 'pen + Cappy & Bush in the rotation < Cappy/Bush in the 'pen + Villy in the rotation

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I actually think you are wrong about one thing. Villanueva is not a lock for the starting rotation. I could easily see him getting beat out by Bush or Cappy and find him self in the BP again this year. Fact of the matter is I think Ned loved his production in the pen and loved his security. Having a RP capable of going several innings or keeping you in a tight game like CV did last year has to be pretty tempting to Ned.

He should be a lock in the starting rotation as that's where he's most valuable. However, if he is in the bullpen he better not be going 3 or 4 innings again like it did this year. He was severely overworked in the bullpen last year and that caused him to go through a dead arm period in July and August when he couldn't locate anything and had nothing on his pitches.

What more does Villanueva need to prove to get a spot in the starting rotation?

Torres and Mota are nearly gaurenteed spots. McClung will likely get DFA'd possibly as soon as tomorrow but my guess is he goes to spring training. Vargas has no place on the team and will be traded for something possibly more relief prospects. And while Bush, Capuano, and Parra all have options remaining, Parra and his arm is the one most likely in Nashville.

Exactly. It would be a crime to not have Villanueva in the starting rotation to start the year. All the guy has done when given a shot is perform. He's earned a spot.

Considering the arms added so far, i think parra's got to be in nashville...

i would hold him there the entire season unless he needs to come up for an injured pitcher...

his career max is 140 innings, so it would be a royl risk to try and throw him 200 innings this year...i think the brewers should aim to get him 170 innings this year so he can go 190 + in 2009 to replace someone in the rotation

of course, manny could pitch those innings in milwaukee, but i think considering salary, age, and options, manny's the odd man out right now in milwaukee...he should start in AAA

That said, if i was doug, i'd probably try to trade manny...he's, as always, a serious injury risk, and his value has never been higher...he could be shipped with someone like TGJ and Gamel for serious talent and it would have no effect on the 2008 roster...on top of that, because of how few innings manny has actually pitched, there still aren't very good oddds that he can make it as a starting pitcher in the bigs..

i think manny's awesome, but this might be a good time to trade him..

He should be a lock in the starting rotation as that's where he's most valuable. However, if he is in the bullpen he better not be going 3 or 4 innings again like it did this year. He was severely overworked in the bullpen last year and that caused him to go through a dead arm period in July and August when he couldn't locate anything and had nothing on his pitches.

I agree with you. If I were the coach I'd have CV in my starting rotation. Do you forget who our coach is? That is why I do not think CV is a lock for the starting rotation. Also it's not impossible for CV to have a slow start. If CV stinks it up during spring training then he'll find him self in the BP again.

Considering the arms added so far, i think parra's got to be in nashville...

i would hold him there the entire season unless he needs to come up for an injured pitcher...

his career max is 140 innings, so it would be a royl risk to try and throw him 200 innings this year...i think the brewers should aim to get him 170 innings this year so he can go 190 + in 2009 to replace someone in the rotation

of course, manny could pitch those innings in milwaukee, but i think considering salary, age, and options, manny's the odd man out right now in milwaukee...he should start in AAA

That said, if i was doug, i'd probably try to trade manny...he's, as always, a serious injury risk, and his value has never been higher...he could be shipped with someone like TGJ and Gamel for serious talent and it would have no effect on the 2008 roster...on top of that, because of how few innings manny has actually pitched, there still aren't very good oddds that he can make it as a starting pitcher in the bigs..

i think manny's awesome, but this might be a good time to trade him..

I really don't see Parra getting traded. They should attempt to ship off Suppan next season, if Capuano is still with the team he'll likely be traded with one year remaining, and Sheets looks to be gone. Add to that Jeffries being a mystery, and the Brewers need someone ready for 2009.

I really don't see Parra getting traded. They should attempt to ship off Suppan next season, if Capuano is still with the team he'll likely be traded with one year remaining, and Sheets looks to be gone. Add to that Jeffries being a mystery, and the Brewers need someone ready for 2009.

Well if they're trading Sheets, Capuano and Suppan before 2009 they should manage to get some starting pitching for 2009. I think Parra would make a good trade candidate this off-season if they found something they liked.

If they trade Capuano and Suppan next offseason it won't be for pitchers ready to go in 2009. The Brewers won't have the money to really go out there to get a free agent either (meaning hanging onto Suppan at $12 million). And having a legitimate pitcher as your #6 starter is a good thing.

Page 2's latest poll over at espn.com:

Who had the worst weekend: (with a giant picture of Gagne next to it)

Anthony Smith

Darren McFadden

Miami Dolphins

Milwaukee Brewers fans

yeah.

Right guys.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived