Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Eric Gagne (1y/10M, +1M in incentives)

mrwisconsin
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't care less what the payroll is for this year. It's not my money. I want to win NOW. I've been waiting a long damn time for this and words cannot describe how pistoff I was last September.

JJHardy7 - couldn't agree with you more. It's a one-year deal. (Good point - Gagne on the hook for $10M or Cordero on the hook for $46M.) Good point about the potential draft picks if he has a decent season. And if it is, say $7M guaranteed with another $3M in incentives, if he earns those incentives it means he has a sub-3.00 ERA and 30+ saves, and Milwaukee probably is in the playoffs. The extra playoff revenue will more than make up for that $10M contract.

Gagne, Torres, Mota - all one year deals. Gotta love that. Gives them incentives because they know they are playing for another contract next year. Would love those guys to have the proverbial "contract year". And if they suck, well, who cares how much you paid them they will be gone next year and you can get different guys. If they do well and they leave, you get draft picks.

I hope this is a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd year. I like how they did the deal with Kendall. I hope they did something similar to that for Gange. I like all the extra pitchers we have now. This allows us to send Parra to AAA for a year to get his innigs up closer to 200. I believe he needs next year to get back closer to being able to throw enough innings to start a whole year in the majors. We need another SP for next year when Sheets leaves. I see no problem with having MLB ready guys down in AAA as long as they have options left.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Sheets, Suppan, Bush, Capuano, Villanueva, Gallardo, Parra, Vargas, Turnbow, Riske, Gagne, Mota, Torres, Wise, Aquino, McClung, & Shouse.

Plus Stetter. I think Wise and Aquino are as good as gone, that leaves 16. Trade Cappy or Vargas leaves 15. Parra and Stetter can start the year in AAA, which leaves 13. When Sheets makes his annual trip to the DL that leaves 12.

SP - Sheets, Suppan, Gallardo, Villanueva, Capuano/Bush

RP - Gagne, Riske, T-Bow, Torres, Shouse, Bush/Vargas, McClung, Mota

And so what if that means they end up with a Gross/Dillon platoon in LF. That actually leaves an extra roster spot (Dillon can be the "super sub" at LF, 3B, 2B, and 1B) where they can carry a 13th pitcher or a Vinny Rottino for roster flexibility. If/when they do trade Cappy or Vargas, chances are it will be for a LF or 3B (and move Braun). Then Doug's thesis is complete.

hold on here! Can one ballpark really hold the likes of Gagne and T'bow at the same time? I mean- look at 'em. We're talking 2 Wild Things in one venue! The PA system is headed for a regular blowout! Not to mention the competition for the "wildest of them all." I smell a huge marketing feast...The kids will dig it if no one else does..

I think that explains why Mark A invested a few million in upgrading the speaker system in this years off season. I wonder if one of Gagnes terms was to have a sweet graphic for the LED ring. NES Graphics followed by "Game Over"?

This allows us to send Parra to AAA for a year to get his innigs up closer to 200. I believe he needs next year to get back closer to being able to throw enough innings to start a whole year in the majors. We need another SP for next year when Sheets leaves. I see no problem with having MLB ready guys down in AAA as long as they have options left.

But how do AAA innings wear you down less than MLB innings? If the Brewers decide that Parra is ready for the show, why not just have him pitch in the majors but limit his innings if he is showing signs of wear? There's no use wasting a pitcher's innings in a league that doesn't count because you don't think he can pitch a whole season. Parra should make the team if he is deemed as good as anyone else in spring training. Have him start the first half of the season, and if he is still humming along, keep him going until the coaching staff deems that he needs rest. If he is the fifth starter, it would be rather easy to skip a start or two near the end of the season and over the all-star break.

I really believe both Cappy and Vargas are going to be gone. I think Cappy has good trade value and Vargas just doesnt have much value to us. I think Cappy will be part of the trade for the bat we need and Vargas will be traded for a prospect. Bush and Parra can battle out the number 5 spot giving us a great 6th starter and a guy like Zach Jack in the minors who isnt great but can be a couple game stop gap if needed. Those two leaving would also know the payroll down. They only fear is a couple of injuries leaves the rotation in trouble but I feel good with Parra or Bush as a back up. I think the bullpen is a little more messy since there are so many arms.

I wasn't huge on Gagne entering the offseason, but given all of the other proven relief pitchers the team has acquired this offseason, I feel a lot better about the bullpen now with Gagne in the fold.

Plus, I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but don't be surprised if this move didn't have a little something to do with appeasing a Boras client. With Prince and after draftin LaPorta, Gagne gives the organizaiton three notable players represented by the controversial agent. While Boras doesn't typically give hometown discounts and seems adverse to moves that are made to appease the players involved, maybe, just maybe this series of moves will be duly recognized. I like at least hearing that Fielder likes Milwaukee and the Brewers clubhouse, even if it is just lip service.

But how do AAA innings wear you down less than MLB innings?

I don't think Logan was stating they'd wear you down more, but they'd help build Parra's arm up a bit. I've met Manny a few times and he doesn't seem too concerned about his arm, but I'm going to imagine the reasoning (IF) he's in AAA to start the year is that they can build and limit his innings...ie pitch him 5 innings in Nashville and if he's given up 6 runs and 12 hits or 0 runs and 0 hits it won't matter -- they can just regulate his pitch count. I'm not sure if this is the direction Milwaukee will take with Parra, but I know it has been tossed around to Parra (at least in Nashville).

Brewer fans would go nuts if Parra was pitching a perfect game after 5 and got taken out -- in the minors they can set him at a pitch count and take him out whenever.

I think Parra's opening day future will be decided well before spring training. I don't believe he has much to prove with the Milwaukee staff -- it will just come down to who the Brewers traded.

I would be shocked if Parra gets dealt. The Brewers would only trade him in a monster deal. His value is quite high in the Brewers camp.

Yet another GREAT Doug Melvin Signing. I predicted this to my friends here in Northern Nevada after Cordero signed with the Stinkin Reds. Gagne is Melvin and Maddux kind of pitcher...Throws Hard. The Brewers seem to be able to work with anyone who can throw hard. I LOVE THIS SIGNING!!!!

I like this deal a ton if it is something like $8M with $2M in incentives. At a straight up $10M I think it is decent but not great.

Regardless I think this pushes us over the Cubs for my divisional rankings since I thought it was neck and neck before.

Nice signing by Melvin, but really what I see as great about this, is Mark A opening up his pocket books. (Not that in his short time as owner has he ever went cheap) This is just yet another sign that Mark A is willing to spend money to bring a winning team to Milwaukee. Melvin deserves credit for this, but so does Mark A.

An owner willing to spend money. A GM I have total confidence in. A scouting director who is the first non GM to win Executive of the year. That seems to be a winning combination. If only I had as much confidence in Yost as I do in the others. Not that I think Yost is a bad manager, just that he dosen't inspire the confidence that I have in the others.

TheCouga23 wrote:

But how do AAA innings wear you down less than MLB innings?

They don't, but the AAA season is shorter meaning fewer games. Also in the minors you can be more creative with how you use pitchers since the emphisis isn't to win game, but rather to build up players to be MLB ready or keep them in shape in case one of the MLB players gets hurt. I am not sure what his final inning count was this year, but I believe the year before he had somethin like 120 innings. Which means around 150 innings this year and 180 next. Parra is the guy with the least MLB experience and I believe he has an option left. Building up his innings and getting him ready for 2008 when Sheets leaves seems prudent at this point.

I can't imagine this deal has a team option. Classic, "1 year deal to earn multi-year deal" situation

You are probably right, but it would be nice.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If this deal has a team option, Melvin should be sainted.

I think DM reads these boards. Kinda funny how people started to wonder if The Moustache had anything up his sleeve and lo and behold, we wind up with Gagne. On a one-year deal, no less.

And now to figure out what to do about 3B/LF...

Some deal for a guy to replace Braun at third is forthcoming, but might not happen til mid-January. I'm still pretty convinced Rolen is headed here after filtering some information. Like I mentioned in the Torres thread in the trade forum a few days ago that we'd be getting another reliever, and strangely enough it happened shortly thereafter, my witchcraft says new third baseman around the third week of January. Give or take.

Ok, we're going to trade for Scott Rolen.

I don't mind that they overpaid him. I mean, what's he really worth given his history of success and injury. Lets say 5 mil per season until he's proved he's a total stud again. Which leads me to another question then. Is a sandwich pick worth 5 million dollars? Seriously, what if teams paid for sandwich picks? How much would they be worth?

I honestly think the market was probably 2 years, $16M dollars. We went 1 year $10M (maybe with incentives). If he flops that means we saved money. If he is good it means we get type A compensation which is easily worth the extra $2M for this season. The only case where this is a bad deal is if he is healthy all year but just mediocre (say 4ish ERA). In that case he stays type B and we overpayed by a little.

Archived