Brewer Fanatic

MIL signs Eric Gagne (1y/10M, +1M in incentives)

mrwisconsin
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without knowing what the payroll limitations this season are - I'm assuming $80 mil is the ceiling, but it might be millions higher or lower - the payroll hit our bullpen is taking doesn't bother me that much. Torres, Mota and Gagne all come off the books after the season if we choose. And I'm going to guess that Riske isn't going to get his closer bonuses, at least this year.

Greg also made a good point that given the relative inexpensiveness of our position players, I'm fine with the money given to the relievers. Of course the onus will have to shift to finding cheaper relievers once the youngsters start pulling in the big bucks, but that's a bridge they don't have to cross just yet.

And sure, bullpens CAN be assembled with smoke and mirrors, but can a small-market team with such a seemingly narrow window of opportunity afford to not take action? Last year we took a chance on the Spurlings, the Ray Kings, The Elmer Dessens's, and the Greg Aquino's of the world. I applaud Mark A for opening up the checkbook and trying to address a weakness that can be addressed simply by adding players.

I totally agree with this statement. I also agree with the points that our position players are cheap. If we lost one of them to free agency (one of the young studs), I'd be upset. If we'd have let one walk for a $10 - $20 million deal and instead signed the bullpen, that would be awful, but that's not the case. If we weren't going to go after some of the position free agents (not saying we should or shouldn't), these additions to the payroll are fine by me.

Great move by Doug, this recent RP signings put the Brewers in a great position to win the division.

Another point on the RPs we have recently picked up, all of their contracts are reasonable considering the current free agent market. If their play turns south, I believe Doug could move their contract to a team desperate for RP.

Now to see if a SP trade for 3b or OF help develops.

I think one of the biggest crowds of the year... Eric Gagne bobble head night. That bobble head is going to look sweet! If he's healthy (big if), he'll do very well this year and get his long term deal after the 2008 season...with a different team and we get more draft picks. "Game Over"

I can hardly believe that people here are complaining/wondering about the $10 million price tag. That is the going amount for a proven closer. If he hadnt had a rough two months to end the season he'd be getting 12-15 million for multiple years. I sure hope those people werent the same ones complaining about inactivity.

Combined with the low risk of a one year deal and it makes a lot of sense. I think this is a very good move.

This is a terrific signing. Sure $10 million is a lot, but it's only a one-year deal.

It's like paying a premium to be on a month-to-month apartment lease instead signing for the whole year. You've got to pay to have that flexibility.

I'd rather pay either Torres or Mota $3.2 million to relieve than pay Vargas about the same amount to hang around just in case we need him to suck in the rotation.

Ha! I'm cool with this even if it is guaranteed money. Maybe this was the only way to get him here on a one year deal. Of course I still would've preferred a vesting option but I'm cool with this too.

I think one of the biggest crowds of the year... Eric Gagne bobble head night. That bobble head is going to look sweet! If he's healthy (big if), he'll do very well this year and get his long term deal after the 2008 season...with a different team and we get more draft picks. "Game Over"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Just got online for the first time today and about crapped myself with glee after seeing this news!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

No way they signed him for anything other than closing, we have ourselves a genuine closer, good riddance to coco the greedy ex-closer!!!!

This is good news...

Now my only question is this, will McFarlane update the dodger gagne and put him in a brewer uniform ? I'd love to place Gagne in a brewer uniform right next to Prince!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This is terrific news! In a matter of Weeks, we went from a horrible bullpen to a good (potentially great) bullpen. Gagne is no doubt the closer. Turnbow gets put back in the 8th inning spot he filled very well last year. Riske gets to be the "situational ace" that many on here salivate over. Mota and Torres are live-armed, former bp studs, and they'll be our 6th inning guys. Shouse is our LOOGY. One of Parra/Vargas/Bush/Cappy will be our #5 starter (I feel that Sheets, Yo, Suppan, Villy are locks for the rotation barring a trade), one will be our long-guy/6th starter and two will be part of a deal to land us a 3B/LF.

I think it's kind of fun for once to be the team that's willing to spend some money in the offseason in order to get better. Last year, I cringed every time the Cubs made a big-money signing. Right now, we have to be considered the favorite to win the Central. If Melvin can pull off a deal to land Ethier/Kemp, we'll have a darn good team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

What an early Christmas present! Instead of the fear of having Turnbow being our closer to start out the season, we have Gagne, and that. Now, for the next present under the tree, I could use some Bill Hall, Chris Capuano and maybe Tony Gwynn traded for Andre Eithier and either a couple of prospects or LaRoche. I'm definitely going to have to mark down the the Brewers play in Houston so I can drive over from San Antonio to see them play.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The money is high for a guy who barely pitched in 05-06, and had a terrible run once in Boston last season. But it's not costing us any draft picks. The reward is very high, if Gagne pitches like he did in Texas for the first 2/3 of last year. Gagne has thrived as a closer, and being back in the NL should help. To top it off, even if he pitches great, and then leaves next year, we'd likely get a couple of high draft picks. If he bombs, gets hurt - we're not stuck with a big long term contract.

The risk is not small here with Gagne, but the payoff, I feel, outways that risk.

The biggest regret is that we will likely go through this again next year - no matter what happens with Gagne. If he does well, he could easily be gone as a FA. If he stinks it up, we aren't going to want him any more - so we'll go through this again.

10 million is aton, but if he gets it he earned it. So "Game Over", I'm going to run out and get some goggles. Lets just hope he can close on the road.

And I agree with FTJ (I tend to do that a lot) that Mota deal is iffy. The Brewers are taking a big risk in not-non-tendering Estrada. But in DM we trust right? 07 was still a building year, lets hope the Yostings got the boys ticked off and excited.

If the Iguchi signing comes to fruition, he trades Bush for prospects, and moves Braun to the outfield; I might ask Doug to elope to Vermont so we can embark on a wonderful life together. If he declines, I'd be more than happy to settle for Gord, who's dead sexy.

The good news is that with all these "maybe" signings/acquisitions, there's still only $9 mil tied up in them after the upcoming season. I still don't think the bullpen is a strength of the team, but it probably will be at least mediocre, which will be a huge improvement over last year.

Gagne is probably never going to be the dominant closer he used to be but he should be better than any other option the Brewers currently had on the roster.

This has several advantages:

1. T-bow will not be the closer meaning I don't have to pre-register for AA

2. The $10 million could be a wash if we end up trading a couple of starters (Capuano / Vargas / Bush) and /or Torres actually retires.

3. Still allows us to sign the young studs next year.

4. Will most likely lead to draft picks next year when he signs with the Yankees..

5. As for LF I am not as worried. We are not the Red Sox or Yankees.. we will have some holes.. right now the obvious holes are at Catcher and LF but it is not like we are start Moeller / Counsell in those spots.

6. Also it is possible they keep Parra in AAA and bring him up mid-season to refresh the bullpen or starting staff which means they could keep their starters for a better value trade in-season. Melvin is on record saying that you trade away position players in the off-season and pitchers during the year as that is when they have max value.

7. It buys us an extra year for the power arms in Rookie, A, and A+ to get one step closer to the majors for when we need a cheap bullpen.

The money is high for a guy who barely pitched in 05-06, and had a terrible run once in Boston last season. But it's not costing us any draft picks. The reward is very high, if Gagne pitches like he did in Texas for the first 2/3 of last year. Gagne has thrived as a closer, and being back in the NL should help. To top it off, even if he pitches great, and then leaves next year, we'd likely get a couple of high draft picks. If he bombs, gets hurt - we're not stuck with a big long term contract.

The risk is not small here with Gagne, but the payoff, I feel, outways that risk.

The biggest regret is that we will likely go through this again next year - no matter what happens with Gagne. If he does well, he could easily be gone as a FA. If he stinks it up, we aren't going to want him any more - so we'll go through this again.

I concour. If he returns to some what decent form, best is a class A FA, Class B at worst...

Gagne is no doubt the closer. Turnbow gets put back in the 8th inning spot he filled very well last year. Riske gets to be the "situational ace" that many on here salivate over.

Assuming Riske is good, if Ned does have the smarts to use him a la Marmol, that will be awesome.

Archived