Brewer Fanatic

Helping soldiers

danzig6767

My brother is in the Army and got sent to Iraq in August. At the last minute he ended up getting shipped to an area he didn't expect and he ended up on a large base with what he said was a big PX to shop from. When i or my family would ask him if there was anything he wanted us to send him, generally there wasn't that much stuff he'd need.

Then after awhile he said if we wanted to send anything, he'd rather we sent stuff to men he had been in charge of in the states, but that they had instead got sent to different areas/bases that were much smaller/ lacked a PX to shop at and they didn't have much access for things they needed or wanted as pleasure items.

My brother ended up giving his wife a list of soldiers he knew that had been sent to various smaller bases that lacked a PX and some were young guys without a wife and/or family that sent much stuff they'd want/need. My mom got the list of roughly 20-25 names and between my mom, dad, myself, two aunts, and some people we new, we all would send packages to these guys. Everything from socks, razors, soaps that they requested to canned foods/fruits, beef jerky, smoked sausage, hardy candy for the dry conditions, various other snacks etc and also items like burned DVD's, some books, and magazines.

Like for myself, one guy i've sent stuff to, we've exchanged email addresses and he let's me know if anything was a particular need/want.Of all things, it was surprising how easily they would be shorts on razors. He said he shares most things with fellow soldiers he's with and everything is appreciated and used.

Anyways my brother i guess is giving his wife more names in case we can find others to help out. It can get expensive after awhile to take on to many names when buying the stuff to send and the shipping. The shipping cost is 9 dollars a box via US Mail. You pick the boxes up at the post office and there are two standard priority mail sized boxes to choose from, the weight of the box doesn't matter, it's nine bucks regardless if the box weighs two pounds or ten pounds. We manage to jam quite a bit of stuff in these boxes we send.

I'm not trying to pressure anyone here, but when my brother does send a list of new names and if it's more than we can find people to cover, i was wondering if anyone here would like to involve themselves? The names come with where to ship the boxes and i'd provide any other details needed. If someone here took a name, you'd obviously be free to send things at your own time frames, there is no obligation or requirements on how much or how often to send out these care packages.

So if anyone is interested in taking part, just leave your name in the thread and once i find out if any soldiers on the new list of names gets left out, i'd send you a PM awith details.

Archived