Brewer Fanatic

Torres addition crowds bullpen even more.

I wish we would drop the LA rumors. We keep adding players (first Sheets, then Hall, now turnbow) to give to LA and keep tacking on their prospects. That isnt going to happen, LA usually (as of the last 5 years or so) keeps a tight grip on their young talent. I doubt a move is made in the next few days, outside of non-tending someone (Matt Wise?).

It certainly increases the chances that Bush or Capuano will be traded for a 3B/LF instead of relief help.

I was certain that Vargas was going to be traded for a decent relief pitcher. However, I am starting to think he might actually be traded for a prospect.

We don't have enough holes on this team to fill.

Well.....crowds as in the actual number of relievers we have....too bad none of them are actually any good. I think this was a good trade. The prospects we traded, who knows if they'll ever make it. I think this improves the quality of our relievers, not just the quantity. I'm sorry but relying on Turnbow, Wise, McClung, etc. isnt exactly a settling feeling. I wouldn't be opposed to obtaining on more solid 7th or 8th inning reliever.

I have to believe despite the proclamations that Turnbow is the closer, that they would not hesitate using him as part of a deal.

I'd agree with that -- I think it's a very real possibility that the only pitcher who is "safe" from being traded is Gallardo (and Suppan if you consider his NTC). Everyone else Doug would at least listen to offers on.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I have to believe despite the proclamations that Turnbow is the closer, that they would not hesitate using him as part of a deal.

I would even suggest that it's very possible that they intended to deal him all along, but took a public position that he was a possible closer and thus didn't publicly thrash his value.

What was our off-season wish list?

1) C upgrade (check, sort of)

2) LF/3B upgrade

3) Bullpen upgrade badly needed big-time emergency!! (check)

We're not doing so bad right now. Riske and Gagne shore up the back end quite a bit, and if one or two of the six extra arms we picked up in trades and six or so BBQ arms we have on the roster or in AAA pan out, that pen will be pretty solid. I think the Brewers are doing okay.

why is everyone so sure that we need to lose some bullpen arms. look at last year, the first half our bullpen was great then came the second half and they melted down. dont you think with the many quality arms in the pen now that we may not have another second half collapse in the pen. having to many is a good problem and the should keep almost all of them. minus aquino of course.

The issue is being able to keep all of them. At some point, they're going to need to be exposed to waivers, DFA'd, or sent to the minors if possible.

It's likely better to try and trade them now than lose them in March for little or nothing.

Archived