Brewer Fanatic

Salomon Torres to MIL, Kevin Roberts & Marino Salas to PIT / Latest: Torres WILL report.

chuckiehacks
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought melvin had talked to torres' agent before the trade was made or at least the Pittsburgh GM could have said something before the deal to enlighten melvin that Torres could decide to retire. I have a feeling melvin knew about this before he made the deal. I would be disapointed in melvi n if this news came as a total unforseen shock to him.

they always say nothing in life is free, and if comes for a very cheap price, there must be something wrong with it.

It would really stink to see Torres to retire. His reasoning is to be given high marks. Anyone with a family knows you never have enough time with your children.
When I first saw that he might retire, my first thought was "Oh man, he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee"

But you are right - I am actually impressed that he is looking out for the best interest of his family. I would love to see him a Brewers uniform.

Torres might be my favorite Brewer, and he might never play a game for them. Well I guess I can't say my favorite, because I am the biggest Julio Franco fan, but my second favorite Brewer of all time.

I obviously hope that Torre does come around and pitch for the Brewers. If he dosen't though, more power to him. The random rumblings you hear about this is that he is a great person. Potentially putting your family ahead of a 3.2 million dollar paycheck is admirable. The more I hear about this guy the more I totally believe him in his fued with the Pirates over the supposed promise to rent out space in his baseball facility in the Dominican Republic.

Salmon Torres, my second favorite Brewer ever!

I believe we had something like 18 3+ run leads that we blew. In the St. Louis series alone, we blew two six run leads. I'd definitely take a bullpen that's solid top-to-bottom over a bullpen with one ace and a bunch of gimps. I wouldn't say we're solid top-to-bottom yet, but I'm feeling more comfortable now than I was a couple of weeks ago.

Post of the thread right there.

According to the news reports about his spat with management Torres was his own agent, if he didn't have an agent would it be tampering?
Even if he did have an agent, it would be tampering to talk to Torres without the Pirates' permission.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

He retired in mid-career

I dont think he "retired" more like "he got retired" -- I remember him pitching in SEA -- I think he ruptured a testicle or something (no joke) -- and either his injury or subsequent sucktitude, forced him out of baseball -- and then a few years later was able to resurrect his career.

Do we get screwed if Torres retires? Would the Brewers get anything in return from the Pirates? I would hate to think that Melvin just gave a couple of young arms to a division rival.

Just a quick note...Salas turns 27 in February so I wouldn't exactly call him a young arm. He didn't play horrible in Nashville, but he gave up enough hits (especially HRs) which led to a ERA just under 5.

This may be the reason we signed Gagne.

doubtful.

The Gagne deal had to be in the works for days, I see no reason to believe that either transition had anything to do with the other.

Torres was not going to be the closer, so the Gagne signing was made so we had our closer, end of story.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived